Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

This is absolute Bollocks! It's simply deranged paranoia from a certain minority.
    Lets put this into perspective, If Antivirus was petrol, it would be used and not used thousands of times a year due to the price increase/decrease regardless of performance, but the end result is the same! It's what's needed to make your car driveable!. The same goes for Antivirus's detection, sometimes it's up! and you like it, then it's down! and you don't! You can spend a lifetime listening to advice from millions of opinions, or you can choose to stay with what you know has been reliable most of the time you've used it. Everything has issues, nothing is perfect, if it was, nothing new would ever be sold! Don't try to fix what isn't broken, or in other words don't take for granted what you read or hear :shifty:

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You're right about the up's and down's, but even the CEO isn't that happy about the situation...
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=353301

Now that thread is closed, so here's the article:http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/secu...new-ceo-brings-avira-new-direction-new-energy

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Even using it with real-time scanner enabled, Avira is still one of the lightest and most capable AVs out there.

4. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That part is very true. Just about every one of the top 5 AVs out there has enjoyed periods of great detection, and periods that some characterize as a slump in test results. It's like a seesaw effect. Although I am very interested in having the best possible protection for my system(s) I am not swept up in those periodic detection rate swings, but I do pay attention. Personally, I won't dump my AV because another one scored a percentage point or two above it. As long as the AV's efficacy remains intact, and it let's nothing into my system that it shouldn't I am happy, and loyal.

It's been some years since I used Avira and only on demand, because even though it had great detections rates then, better than the real time AV, it lacked some key features that other free products offered.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

:D I am in that group too, though more people should think like that :) :thumb:

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I couldn't agree more, and it has this unique (as far as I know) modular system that allows you to install and un-install at will any of its various real time guards. I don't want to give the impression that suddenly I find Avira noncompetitive, it is installed in 4 of my machines, and am not planning to change anytime soon. But a sense of lack-luster performance compared to the earlier versions is indeed palpable.

7. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Let me complete that statement:

most capable AV of crashing its own UI and slowing down your boot time :D

Just Kidding...I know that was a problem in the past and it doesnt exist anymore,but avira free is still decent enough though I feel they have dropped since v9 where they were the best :)

8. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Really bad treatment of a customer r.e. Oliverjia. Don't they do "customer relations"?

Maybe this slump in performance plus new CEO will rejig them into renewed effort to regain they`re previous position as a top AV.

Still Avira plus a HIPS would still be a very good combo. Not so long ago I watched a youtube test (I know these a not meant as the Gospel truth etc etc...) and Avira missed only one zero day which was fair enough but he had also forgotten to enable real time protection. LOL

It remains a good antivirus imho.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My mild criticism was addressed to their not so stellar results lately in many tests. I have never experienced any problems with their forum, and every issue which was shared by a fair number of people was quickly dealt with. Obviously everybody's experience is different, it is very hard to be objective in such situations.

I was literally ripped off by 2 of the big names in the AV industry, as a result I will never ever have their products on my computers again even for free, and in private I would never recommend them to friends. Now, I don't go ranting and complaining in their own threads for years on end, I've just moved on.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Wise words :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

11. anon

anon Registered Member

Really? How many times you have been there?

AFAIK, in Avira's English section, there are only a handful volunteers (i.e. FFreestyleRR, Farger, redwolfe_98 ) which they are trying their best to solve problems.

There is absolutely no support from Avira's side (expert/worker from Avira's team). :thumbd:

-------------------------

You offer nothing. :thumbd:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Not as often as you have; I've only had one serious issue when Sandboxie could not be installed with a new version of Avira. Even support replied to me, and fixed the issue as many people had the same problem.
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?form=Search&searchID=2514701&highlight

Now we have locked horns already once in the past, and I wish we both agree to disagree. You made it your mission to discredit anything about Avira, I got the message. This is my last reply to any of your posts.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

....... :rolleyes:

14. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

Well to be honest
    I can see that,Avira lost it's passion ,aim and the way of the company
    they just keeps on abandon past(which is working very well) technology not to rewrite something or implement/improve the newest or latest technology compare with other vendor,
    Just like their abandon with Avira FireWall,SPACE,just selling the engine or VDF to Chinese company,abandon or non-development Proactiv 2.0
    remove CPU Thread optimize technology(Future),not try to improve the existing products or technology,falling security competition score,become heavier like those Chinese Antivirus which oem Avira,Slow initialization,slow scan speed(for unpacking ),not force on development of Avira antivirus itself
    Just develop secure backup MyAvira those thing is surprise at least for me but that is not the reason they should not provide or implement any technology to the core services
    ..Now the products being slow startup,always buggy,remove security techonology
    Just like the 2014 beta,this update I can say I hate it,no newest technology,keeps on abandon and add something useless for replace old component
    (Management for Windows FireWall, but most of the function is working on control panel and mmc!?)Why I need your component to manage the Windows FireWall?
    also they not reply or provide any support nowadays in support forum,just push them to our "freelance" volunteer helper.however they will reply sometime at past....that should be themselves to do that,not us...

Just want to say,Avira,What are you doing?...Why you don't listen our voice
    if stefan you can read it please transmitted our complain to the company!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  15. TheErzengel

TheErzengel Registered Member

I stop using Avira for Emsisoft and I am happy

16. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

aaa839, I am always listening and trying to get things improved here...

17. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

18. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Wow!

I used to use Avira Free back when it was version 6 and man how times have changed. Looks like the company has lost track of whats important and totally messed up a good antivirus program.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

stephan if we must have only the windows firewall cant they introduce control via avira similar to what the windows firewall controller program does?? this would allow simple app control from within avira.

20. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

IMO they still know how to make a good AV. (Static) detection rate may not be everything, but the developers must have been excellent at keeping track of every kind of malware and quickly add signatures to keep it always great without having to rely on other vendors. I find it hard to believe that the same guys who have gotten the hardest part spot on should be incapable of doing anything else. It's such a shame that the ability is there, but complacency, laziness, questionable practices and reluctance to add/develop new technologies or even improve other basics save detection have let the product down in recent years. Removing the toolbars seems to be a step in the right direction, though.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  21. Well the game changes from recognising a malware based on its fingerprint to assessing whether a binary is risky and executing it in a local sandbox and analysing the results in automated way at central servers.

Topdog (of old AV) in recognising malware is heuristics and general/malware family fingerprints

Topdog (of new AV) in risk assessing is file/publisher/origin reputation evaluation and sandboxed behavior analysis/code emulation/cpu virtualisation, capacity of central servers to perform near realtime analysis.

Yesterday's champions and knowledge not nessecarily makes a compatitive challenger in the new world, so the "ability is there" might not apply when the game has changed

22. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

September AV-Comparatives and AV-Test real world tests will use Avira build 4045 or 4052, APC realtime scanning enabled... :cool:

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Nice :thumb: I am looking forward to it even if I don't use Avira myself :D

24. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

are you guys currently working on Win 8.1 compatibility and Proactiv module on x64 systems yet?

25. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Please beat G-Data in the September file detection test. :argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.