Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I really can't understand why people get so emotional about Avira. It's just software after all. Every 2 years there are people announcing Avira's imminent demise, and mostly by a crowd who is not even using the software... Bizarre!

I'm looking forward to Stephan's last comment:

Maybe this will make a difference with 0 day detection, which is still lacking compared to other players.

2. guest

guest Guest

Maybe it's not about the product itself, but the attitudes of the company. I'm fine with the toolbars, as long as it's optional. But their new Q&A support is just... broken.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'll play it by ear and see what transpires before forming an opinion one way or the other.

4. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I used Avira free years ago. It was fine.

Now...

Its installer has "webshield" and even allows to tune it. But the installed AV shows that it is OFF and doesn't allow to make it ON.

:thumbd:

5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's all about the funny fanboys troll "comments" from competitors, we both know them very well :)

7. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

if you are using free edition you require the search free toolbar
    or using the registry method to bypass the detection of toolbar and get web protection

8. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

And we forget how big Avira is in Germany. They don't even need the international market, such is the strength in their home market.

I'd argue AVG's consumer range has a shorter long term future than Avira's, based on what I'm seeing recently.

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

...or just use some other browser, i.e. Comodo Dragon.

10. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Moxxey...just as a side comment...I just tried AVG Security 2014...and was singularly unimpressed...on my system lagged on surfing...overly lenghty scans...I'll take Avira...much more responsive...much less bloat factor. Sincerely...Securon

11. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

How big are they?

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The trend is downwards ...

Did I mention they are likely to become the 'new', or should I say 'old' Symantec minus the customer service ?

I used to like the product, but I dare to predict that it will become one of the lesser products in the next few years.

What happened to all the security suite promotional licences ? 3 or 6 months promos used to be all over the place. No Facebook required. Perhaps it was not very wise, but it was convenient.

Anyway, it's too heavy for WIN XP systems. Perhaps not if you have a lot of RAM, but a few years ago it was light on my old WIN XP system.

Money, money, money ...

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I couldn't find any specific data about Germany, but considering that it has a population of about 80 Million their market is probably significant along with GData.

From Wikipedia:
    With 9.6 % of the global market, and over 100 million customers, the Avira haters at Wilders will have a hard task convincing the global crowd to believe their ridiculous idiosyncrasies, let alone predict Avira’s demise because of their own dissatisfaction. I know many members here at Wilders don’t use Avira anymore for all sorts of reasons, it is everyone’s prerogative, you don’t like it, just move on, there's plenty to choose from.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Let's Focus On The Topic: Avira. Thank You.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

...... according to OPSWAT =

sample of more than 3000 users is assumed to be representative of the market......... :rolleyes:
    these results are likely to differ from those in the real world......
    :rolleyes:

16. anon

anon Registered Member

* http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1263501#post1263501
    You are not allowed to enter this page. You do not have the required permissions to enter this page

The thread "Say Goodbye To The Forum" removed from the public view........

17. siketa

siketa Registered Member

What’s new in Avira Free AntiVirus 2014 14.0.0.327 Beta:

- Changed the update module of the hbedv.key
    - fixed: AV14-Server: TrayIcon menu not shown, if right click on our trayicon
    - fixed: Setup error message pops up when updating from AV13 product to AV14 product
    - fixed: Update: Product update cannot be finished if the update runs during installation
    - driver version must not be reproted anymore in windows event log
    - fixed: WSCSVC still shows Avira as AV software after uninstallation
    - fixed: avgnt.exe is running but systray icon is missing
    - fixed: Symbols-Check Fails
    - fixed: POP3 is blocked by Mailguard
    - fixed: After a realtime-detection, the created Event on section Application (Event Viewer) includes ‘%1′ instead of the Detection Name
    - fixed: No eventlog entry when guard is disabled or enabled

-http://89.105.217.24/package/wks_avira13/win32/en/pecl/avira_free_antivirus_en.exe-

18. anon

anon Registered Member

4. Keep it To Yourself
    We have spent months designing and building your test product. We are spending many thousands of dollars to prepare for its launch. It's your responsibility and obligation to keep everything about the beta test absolutely secret. Don't blog; don't Tweet; don't chat; don't post anything anywhere about the beta test. Don’t even mention you are involved in a project with us. Remember, we trust you with our new product and in return we ask you to show us respect by keeping everything you experience a secret.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2267631&postcount=572

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I am not a beta tester....;)

20. The Hammer

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

can someone from avira tell me what this means: Changed the update module of the hbedv.key ??

22. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Is the toolbar still there in the beta or its gone just as the informed us on twitter :)

23. The Hammer

You could be waiting awhile for "someone from Avira" to post an answer here.

24. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

The only thing that is funny is that some people over here try to only complain or defend their Avira like I see above :rolleyes: Instead we should trying to keep the suggestions and positive attitude up and make avira good once again,rather than calling other people here fanboys which isnt helping avira to fix the holes in their umbrella,atleast I am not trashing avira for now,I have hopes and wishes from it and I will not defend them nor complain but I will try to keep my suggestions up for the devs :thumb:

Defending Avira or complaining/ragging about it wouldnt make the product look better,it will make it look worst,lets try keeping our hopes and suggestions open for them.They still are a posses enough potential to get things right!!

I still cant understand what people achieve from defending avira and showing offense to other members here and calling them trolls and fanboys,its a effortless attempt to get others to have good opinions about it.We should instead try to think positive and keep our suggestions up.

Let me remind the most of you here,its AV's vs Malware and NOT AV vs AV :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  25. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

@true indian.
    Interesting soliloquy.

Although rather contradictory in its tone as you yourself have defended avast to the death and beyond and so you fall into your own fanboy rant.

Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.