Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. guiman

guiman Registered Member

Unfortunately there isn't one right now. I hope we will have one as soon as possible in the next update. But if this works for you and there are no side effects you can continue using it.

2. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Leuy, I did you fix late last night after I got home from work and it worked, BDFAV and comodo firewall installed and running and chrome works perfect. I would still like to see a hard fix by the devs :)

Now, as for things I would like to see in upcoming versions that are so very important imho is the ability to turn on/off how bitdefender displays detections, as in I would like to be able to turn on the interface for delete/quarantine/ignore when BD detects a file because as I see it right now, what happens if a malicious file is not detected by BD with one virus def. version, slips in and is run on a computer, then the next up date BD detects it but it has already say patched explorer.exe? what is BD action then? automatically quarantine? delete? that would pretty bad for that computer

I would also like to see a "Manual update button"

and the ability to restore files from quarantine (Heard this is coming in upcoming versions?)

and maybe some very small customizable options for the AV as well as the shiels, Not very many though.

Overall I love this product so far, im just very wary of the auto-quarantine/delete of files this can be a very dangerous philosophy. maybe someone can calm my apprehensions?

EDIT* I forgot to ask, for the web blocking component of BDFA is it stictly a HTTP scanner? or does it also operate with a blacklist of malicious websites/domains?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  3. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

There are the same anti-virus & anti-phishing technologies as in the Paid Versions.
    Local engines + cloud.

4. spywar

spywar Registered Member

So you guys push directly new detections to cloud yes ?

5. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

Part of them, yes

6. zero2dash

zero2dash Registered Member

Well I've started the 'swap over'; just uninstalled Avast 7 Free on my laptop and installed BDFA....will work on my other desktops this weekend once I do some copying/scanning on a few 'questionable' directories I have to make sure I don't have any files go disappearing for being FP. :D

7. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Is there a logfile that I can send for assessment?
    BDFree keeps crashing, and it seems to happen when runnning games.
    W7, comodo fw, sandboxie, emet, dnscrypt, core2 duo, 6g ram, geforce 6800 gt
    I wondered if it could be a conflict with nvidia.

8. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So BitDefender Free and COMODO Free Firewall work together well?

9. anon

anon Registered Member

re nvidia:
    Yes, I Know that above warning not applies to geforce 6800 gt (latest version: 306.97 dated October 10, 2012).

10. Antimalware18

They didn't when I first installed BDFAV but I took Leuy's advice and did a repair of Bitdefender and now they are working together perfectly. I haven't noticed any slowdowns or glitches/crashes or anything noticeable.

11. edwardmax2010

edwardmax2010 Registered Member

Still waiting for the new version with improvements. :)

12. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

Well, I just got bitten by the automatically-delete-it-if-it's-infected bug. The file was a setup.exe that was part of a driver package for an HP Laserjet printer (downloaded years ago from HP). I was able to upload that same file from another machine to virustotal, and it said it already been examined and came up clean in all antivirus engines. I had virustotal run a new test, and this time it came up as infected in Bitdefender, and several other products that must use BD's engine because they had the same trojan name as BD. Every other engine said it was clean.

It looks to me like a new BD virus definition now shows this file as being infected (a false positive), and yup, BDAF just went ahead and deleted it.

This time it wasn't that important a file (I wasn't using it and I had other copies anyway). But it could have been. So add my vote to the list of folks who request that infected files be quarantined before being deleted.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you submit this info to the BD people, perhaps they can remove it from their defs or whatever they do. It's my understanding that if something is quarantined, and later turns out to be an FP, then BD will restore the file.

14. flik

flik Registered Member

If you disable auto-scan and do a full system scan, it is light and the system is very responsive.
    BUT I notice very well a lag when I start loading a site. I wish I could disable web traffic scan.

15. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

Kerodo - Understood and agreed. My point was simply that putting the file in quarantine instead of automatically deleting it would have addressed the issue.

I have heard that the virustotal files and results get shared among the vendors. If that's right, I wonder if they use that to isolate false positives. Something like "Hey, everyone else says this one is clean - do we have it wrong?"

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, so you're saying it didn't even quarantine the file, but just nuked it? That's not so good. I assumed it quarantined everything.. Hmmm....

17. Antimalware18

One Issue I have noticed, If I am testing around with the eicar test file, the one that isnt blocked by the web guard its downloaded, and Bitdefender will tell me it has detected it but cannot do anything about it and that the computer must restart. But when the computer is restarted it says that a "Cleanup" scan is happening but if I look under logs it says that a cleanup scan has completed and that the action was disinfect. Yet if I go to my downloads folder the Eicar test file is still sitting there untouched THEN Bitdefender will popup saying it has quarantined a threat...o_O

could someone help me understand this? please?

But as an afterthrough other malicious files downloaded through Malc0de.com are automatically detected and deleted...

18. truoc

truoc Registered Member

Quick question for everyone. Do you guys feel it would be better to install this in place of MSE even with the auto deleting "problem"? I know that Bitdefender's detection rates and proactive protection are vastly superior compared to MSE's, but the auto deletion thing has me a bit concerned. Either of the products would be installed on a computer that is running a standard account (no admin rights) so do you feel it would be worth it to go this route or stay with MSE?

19. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Bit defender is a thoroughbred, MSE pretty much a jackass. Using BDAVF since Dec. 21 w/zero issues. Former MSE user and haven't looked back.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I decided to go with BD over MSE, which I was using, because I think that BD has vastly superior detection, and I have nothing obvious on my system, as far as I know, that might generate an FP or cause a deletion. So far, so good.. :)

21. zero2dash

zero2dash Registered Member

Backed up a few folders to a portable HD and installed....sure enough, several files got quarantined that are not malware, including the installers for Combofix and Sopcast. Looks like I'll be going back to A7F but I'll be keeping tabs on when BDFA is updated to include better quarantine management and 'ignore' functionality.

22. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

It has detected no false-positives on my Mom's or brother's PC, and he downloads a lot of mods and stuff for Minecraft. I am surprised so many people are getting false-positives, as it seemed to have a low FP rate on AV-C and AV-Test...

23. truoc

truoc Registered Member

I've had it detect a few false positives on my PC. One is a zip file that I have password protected that contains Tax information and I keep in Dropbox so it is obviously not malware. It can't do anything with the file thankfully because it is password protected. The other false positives it is detecting are a lot of files dealing with the game Jetpack Joyride that I downloaded from the Windows Store. On another PC I have BDFA installed on it detected and deleted a file associated with LastPass, but LastPass still works on that PC. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the file that it detected and deleted. Despite those few things it seems to be pretty solid.

24. virion

virion Registered Member

Hi Everyone! I too have had false positives from BD Free. And like others have mentioned, the background scans at times (but not always) slowed down my PC a lot (P4 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, XP Pro - SP3).

The biggest problem I had with BD Free involved EAZ-FIX (a twin of Rollback RX). My PC has only a 35GB WD Raptor hard drive so I have to update the EAZ-FIX baseline (which wipes out all of my old snapshots and creates a new baseline snapshot) every two or three weeks to free up space on the hard drive. When I attempted to update the baseline with BD Free installed I experienced an epic crash which left me stranded in Format City. I have no proof but I believe BD Free decided that EAZ-FIX was a dangerous rootkit and deleted something critical during the update baseline process. Oh well, at least I now have a current drive image I can restore to. :p

I believe Iulika has said that BD is planning to add quarantine instead of delete, and the ability to restore quarantined files, which I appreciate. But in my case this would not have helped at all. Please Iulika, will you also consider adding the ability to exclude files and folders from being scanned? THANK YOU!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  25. Carver

Carver Registered Member

This is why I have not put BD on my computer yet as I have planned, I am waiting till BD adds Quarantine and the ability to exclude files that you know are clean but give a FP or password protected files.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.