Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. zero2dash

zero2dash Registered Member

Some people want control over what files a program gets to delete or quarantine on their computers. No one's arguing over the efficiency of the program, the light performance feature, or the detection rates. What we are complaining about is the lack of a quarantine that lets you restore wrongly quarantined FP's and the ability to exclude those files (and their directories) from being scanned in the future. Both are features that have been around in antivirus solutions for at least 15 years now.

I know they want to make this a 'set it and forget it' solution, but this is an area that NEEDS to have control and checks and balances in place. :rolleyes:

2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I agree, I think it would be a PERFECT program if there is no FP's :)

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Wait, it deletes cookies? I'll thank them to let me do that job. 5510 files? If each file took as long as some of the smaller, individual files I've scanned, I feel horrible for you. I'm very appreciative to have what seems to be wonderful detection rates from BD, if tests are accurate. But, I think this program needs some work and I may switch back to Avast for a while until folks here see it a bit more problem-free and favorable.

4. KelvinW4

I believe that when you do a right click scan, it does a quick scan according to somewhere in this thread.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's certainly anything but quick, and it often seems to pause mid-scan for several seconds.

6. KelvinW4

yeah, they said they consider changing it.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I admit I am on the fence about it right now too... Avast is the only other one I will consider at the moment. I used MSE for a while, but, well you know..

But yes, it nuked 7 cookies. At first, it said it deleted 7 files, and I panicked, thinking, oh no, here we go, but when I checked the log details, it turned out they were cookies... most likely tracking cookies I guess. I don't know.. but why the heck was it doing that, when all I told it to do was scan one small folder in Downloads.

It was all a bit goofy to say the least....

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seems so... IMO, it should do what I ask it to do, and nothing else...

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Maybe it scans cookies every time you do a scan? At least it was only cookies deleted, and nothing important.

I won't be using BD free until they add the option for you to choose what to do when a threat is found. If they just add automatic quanrtining I won't use it.

However I do have doubts about its lightness, I have been running MY Free Antivirus 2013 very briefly which is the same as the paid BD antivirus, and at times CPU use reaches 13% which is too much in my opinion when I'm not doing a manual scan at the time.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I think that quarantine options are needed at a minimum, and ideally, a popup asking what to do would be best, but I don't think they're going to do that. But we'll see...

I honestly haven't noticed any hit on performance at all, even during it's long auto scans, but then again, I don't check cpu or disk i/o much, so it's possible it does increase a fair amount and I just don't notice it.

I think at this point, I will use it a few more days at least, and then maybe have a look at Avast again. BD Free could be excellent, if they just add a few things and put some more time into it..

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

At this point I haven't notice any performance issues, but the CPU use is a concern for me. However, I will try it a week or so before I reach a conclusion.

12. anon

anon Registered Member

13. EboO

EboO Registered Member

This av is nice as it is. Just add quarantine management and exclude files and it´s perfect. Light, effective.

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

This thing is gone from my system. I think it's removing files without cleanup or quarantine attempts or screwing with them in some other manner. I woke up to find errors from MBAM saying its database was missing or corrupt, and my ExploitShield icon gone from the tray. I had to do a full removal of MBAM and install it again, and the Exploitshield icon didn't come back nor was the interface able to start up without a reboot and removal of BD Free.

It needs some work done to it, so I'm back with Avast for now.

15. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Could anyone tell me if it would be best using this alongside comodo firewall or would I be best just using the full cis suite? Thanks in advance.

16. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Full CIS suite.
    AV is not bad, suite is not resource hog and there are no possible compatibility issues.

17. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Thanks for the response.

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

:thumb: im using the full CIS suite and it runs light as a feather.Just hope comodo partake in tests at some point.;)

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think it likes MBAM, it complained when I install it about MBAM Free even. I'll give it a few more days at least.. or maybe wait for the new Avast 8 public beta, I'd like to have a look at that.

20. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

Kerodo - I noticed the same thing - it seems to scan almost randomly when it's supposed to be idle. I noticed this when I turned off "Auto Scan", thinking that if it didn't do a full system scan, then it wouldn't find (and incorrectly delete) files just sitting there that might generate FP's. But with "Auto Scan" off/paused, the "Virus Shield" seems to show it's still looking around and scanning files that, well, files that it doesn't need to be looking at (such as files from the separate partition where I keep my data files). In which case, I guess the FP issue could show up again, even with "Auto Scan" off.

Anybody else notice this? Am I interpreting the "Virus Shield" part of the UI correctly? (I saw this random scanning on Windows 7. Looking right now at a Windows XP virtual machine, I am not seeing the random scanning. Maybe it's OS-dependent?)

FWIW, I also think I saw the slow-down that DBone mentioned. I can't say for sure - I got spooked by the auto-delete "feature" and went back to a ghosted system image with a different AV before I could see for sure why the system started feeling sluggish. But yeah, I thought "it deletes without asking and now it feels slow - time to use something else."

Too bad, because I really like the concept of something really good and really simple. Maybe the next release will be closer to the mark.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, same thing I noticed. It doesn't really make much sense, because it was looking at apparently random files, and there was no way it had time to have scanned everything on all partitions. Maybe the devs will show up sometime again and comment...

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I used the suggestion from MBAM to uninstall it and put BD on first, then MBAM when I first started the trial of BD. For days it went fine, then with nobody laying a hand on the machine and in the dead of night, the database somehow goes missing. I had a friend of mine install BD as well and he said he noticed the same scanning behavior. Going by the Virus Shield, this thing is in constant scan mode whether the machine is being used or left alone.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I think it does need some more work. I don't get a nice warm fuzzy feeling about it yet.. Gotta know that our files are safe and secure, and that the program is acting rationally.

24. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I love this product but it sounds like they need to work on compatibility with programs that should work fine with it.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's possible that any file that is accessed in any way, even by the system, is scanned, that would make sense. But it does look like things are getting scanned randomly that aren't even being accessed in any way, which does not make much sense to me..

Also noticed that Auto Scan does it's thing on a daily basis. To me, that's a little overkill, but I guess we can turn that off if we like (supposedly).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.