Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Jimmy9190

Jimmy9190 Registered Member

Another update here, last week I had some problems with Edge, it was running slow, having problems with printing and the strangest thing was there was a mysterious QR code that just showed up in the top right corner. I have no idea what it was for, I never clicked or scanned it but it was there just the same. Restarting Edge got rid of it but I stopped using Edge and went back to Chrome. I was still using Windows Defender/Security with the Chrome WD extension but I really think it is best to use as few extensions as possible and an AV that integrates directly with the browser. WD only does that with Smart Screen and Edge. Temptation got the better of me again so I gave BD Free another try.

I have seen only one security breach warning and one Facebook warning in the last week but other than that BD Free is working perfectly, staying out of the way with no nagging. Chrome with BD works great, it is light on my system and browsing is very fast. After everything I have read, I believe this config is pretty solid, about as strong of a free protection as I can get. The only security-related extension I added is the Ghostery ad/tracker blocker. I still practice safe surfing and good online hygiene but to be honest I am satisfied with this setup and hope to just be able to use my laptop without worrying about AV's and malware now.

2. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Sometimes in Edge you can have a QR code at the top right, but that is to download edge for mobile, so there is nothing wrong.

3. Jimmy9190

Jimmy9190 Registered Member

Well, that was not the first time I have had problems with Edge. Most of the time Edge works ok but I never have any trouble with Chrome. For all the data tracking etc at Chrome the browser has been rock solid. No problems at all. I have read that Chrome gets all the security updates ahead of other browsers and Google is involved in the update process. BD just seems to work really well with Chrome too.

Something else that steers me away from Edge and Firefox is on either one when I play music on Youtube or the Pandora web player it sounds bad. I don't know why but music sounds much cleaner and not distorted on Chrome. I use an equalizer extension from the Chrome store, I wonder if maybe it was written to work best with Chrome. I added the same eq to Edge from the Chrome store and to Firefox from their extension list but the sound was still bad on both. Iheart, Pandora, Youtube are all crystal clear in Chrome.

4. Rafales

Rafales Registered Member

I use Bitdefender Antivirus Free build 26.0.21.78

Edit: I found the option to turn off AV temporarily. Earlier I did not check the options properly

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.