Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

As far as I can tell, the paid version of BD always automatically quarantines threats found without prompting first. Due to this, even if quarantive is added to the free version I will not be using or installing it on any customers machines.

2. DBone

DBone Registered Member

While most of the complaints revolve around the auto-delete, and I agree, my complaint is that after the AV is installed for 10 days or longer, I am getting massive slow downs on two different machines...............Hell, my 71yr old mom had no idea I even swapped out her AV (MSE) for BD Free and she called me on Friday to complain that her machine "just feels slow and muddy". I uninstalled BD Free and replaced it with MSE and now she says "I'm a computer genius, cause whatever I did, fixed it".

I mentioned this earlier but it went unnoticed. :(

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see any slowdown or impact here on a 3 year old laptop. All I can think of is that it may show up more on older hardware?

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

if a virus comes into my pc and delete my files same antivirus does whats the difference o_O

indeed its a great concept but without restore file and exclude options its more dangerous than virus to me :D

if bitdefender wants to competitive with Avast free, avg free and Avira free than its need to give more power to user atleast restoration of files and excluding them without it its another

:argh:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

First of all you can't configure this product, that's enough reason (for me) not to use it.

But... it started as a free "only Romanion" thing; then it went as French, Dutch... whatever, paid product.
    Then it presented itself as a free AV but... the paid versions are still available and if you Google "free bitdefender" you'll be faced with a "Page Not Found".

I know BD has very good signatures and I know their engine/database are used by severall reputable AV vendors but....

But...

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When I Google that, I get this page as the first hit, and it works fine for me:

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Different users want different things... I personally think BD Free will be hard to beat once the quarantine options are added.

7. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

That link (my link) shows "Page Not Found".

8. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Maybe this is my imagination:

Attached Files:

• BT.PNG
      BT.PNG
      File size:
      186.5 KB
      Views:
  9. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Works for me!

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Your pic shows it's going to "bitdefender.pt" and mine is going to "bitdefender.com". Maybe that's why......

Edit: just went to the Portuguese site "bitdefender.pt" and that works fine too.

Must be something going on with your setup/software/avast or something.....

Edit 2: you're right.. if you go to the full link "www.bitdefender.pt/solutions/free.html" you do get a page not found error, but just "bitdefender.pt" works ok. So it's just something broken on their Portuguese site I guess...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm probably missing something again, but why is Virus Shield constantly showing files being checked, but Auto Scan is "Idle"? I thought they said it wouldn't do any scanning while the system was actively being used? I really don't want it checking and re-checking every file 24/7.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I noticed a couple of weird things today and yesterday... Today, I installed it fresh (on a new restored image), and it updated and so on, the scan was supposedly idle, and yet it showed it had checked a file on my data partition for some odd reason I can't figure out. It hadn't even had time to do any scheduled scans at all. So what was it doing over on drive E: looking in my pictures folder?

Another thing, a few days ago I had it installed for a day or two, and I did a right click to scan a small folder of a few files in my download directory, and for some odd reason it scanned some 5510 files, and deleted 7 cookies in the process. I thought this was weird too.. I only asked it to scan one small folder with less than a dozen files.

I think there are still some things to be worked out....

13. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

14. rinem

rinem Registered Member

This must be the easiest AV to use, just install and forget. Btw enjoy a very very high detection rate for free with one of the lowest system impact.

Some people want simple things to be complicated geez...

All you need to know is here:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

15. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Edit
    Not even that link works...

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

That redirects me to a "Page Not Found", again.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Joxx, no offense, but there is something not right on your end then. Both of those links above work for me, no problems. I don't know...

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The english link works here but the BR, Spanish and others dont. :rolleyes:

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Exactly.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

21. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I couldn't care less. I'm using Avast and I would likely use Avira or MSE.

I just don't like this build. There's something fishy about it... smelly.
    Or maybe I'm paranoid.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hahaha... Everyone should use what they like. No argument there.. :)

23. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

website says this is an on demand scanner.so will it be safe to install this even though i have an av installed already?:argh:

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nope, this is not an on-demand scanner only, it's resident. The old one many years ago was on-demand, but this new one is like any other AV in that regard. I would not try to install it along side another AV.

25. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Ok thanks.:thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.