Anyone heard of mks_vir 2004?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tazdevl, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

:D

That is a good start. However, I'm sure you realize though that you need to put up a list of all the definitions added each update. I'm confident you will do that soon. :)

2. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Hi Mele20,

You also reported a possible memory error in another thread.

-------------
    "I just reinstalled the beta on XP. Configured it and then restarted in Safe Mode. In Depth Scan is not available in Safe Mode. So, I used My Profile which is set exactly the same. It scanned for about one minute and then suddenly the screen disappeared. I clicked on the NOD32 icon and all I could see in the log was something about an error when scanning the memory."
    ------------

It may be beneficial to check the memory just to make sure if there is a memory problem or not.

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Thanks for the response Mac.

I understand where you're coming from, but if I uninstall the app, why would I want or need the logs or personal settings? I guess you could present people with a "full uninstall" or an option to save settings and logs. But most people expect everything to be cleaned out when the app is uninstalled once they click OK. Best example I can think of is the stink going on over in the KAV forums regarding all the ADS', Kaspersky is in the process of developing a tool to pull them out because users are so upset they are left behind when KAV 5 is uninstalled.

Until the updater gets fixed or changed (cannot stand it being integrated into windows tasks, looking forward to mks 2005), I just install mks occasionally to run an OD scan, then uninstall. BTW I do think that integrating the OD scheduled scans into windows task mgr makes sense (lot of options to schedule a scan, many are geared towards laptop users), not the updater.

Mele, download Memtest86 and make a bootable CD/floppy. You can run a test overnight just to be sure there is nothing wrong with your RAM. http://www.memtest86.com/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  4. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Interestingly McAfee also integrates into the Task Scheduler for its updates, so I don't feel so bad about mks_vir doing so as well.

However, you are right, it does leave quite a bit behind.

I even used a registry checker to delete the extra entries and deleted the files manually ... I noticed when I reinstalled it didn't ask for the serial number, so something is still around someplace.

I ran a scan of my laptop. With NOD32 it took 1 hour 19 minutes. With mks_vir it took 1 hour 53 minutes (I can live with the difference if it does a better job). But it takes about 42 MB of RAM vs NOD32's 16 or so, and on this informal test it only found 577 out of 593 files vs NOD32's 584 (still not perfect, but ...)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=182983&hl=virus&st=0

5. tazdevl

Set heuristics on high and see how it does.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To msanto from Firefighter!

In that link you posted there was a link to an archive, where was 455 "viruses". From those 455 viruses 2 of them were younger than 5 years old, 442 of those were at least 9 year old or a lot more. 11 virus samples were such that I couldn't find their dates.

MKS_VIR 2004 was established some 8 years ago, so it's quite understandable that there are some viruses older than that 9 years which MKS can't detect, because they have no use today!

I have scanned both MKS with AH and NOD with AH against 2040 infections, which were younger than 5 years (I've checked 99 % of their dates with my own eyes) and most of them were younger than 3 year old, I'm 95 % sure that MKS will beat NOD against real in the Zoo threats younger than 5 years.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. msanto

msanto Registered Member

High = 580
    Very High = 580

I sent the link to mks_vir tech support.

8. Firefighter

Zip every infected file you have got. COUNT manually EVERY detected INFECTED ARCHIVE you have saved, by doing this, you will actually know how many of those files were REALLY detected, because each av is reporting those number of detected infections differently!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Firefighter, I'm fine with that. I'm a relative neophyte to this because I'm only now making the switch from McAfee who I've used for years because they can't figure out how to do a fresh install from their website onto SP2. They can do updates, but not a fresh install. Fine unless you really NEED to do a fresh install (and don't have a Drive Image).

I've seen a lot of your posts and I'm pretty impressed with your knowledge.

I started thinking NOD32 was the way I was going to go, because of the VB 100% info, and because of the small resource hit, but it seems like they either do very well at a test or very poorly. The inconsistency scares me. About the only thing I wish mks_vir would do is cut down their resource usage ... their footprint is even bigger than McAfee's.

Plus this repository thing for network installs (so you don't have to do updates at all workstations). Why not just let us d/l an installer directly from their website.

I've never gotten a repository update to work. It always seems to just stop while downloading a file (not the same file, either) so it seems to be a server problem. Doesn't hang because I can abort it.

10. Firefighter

Forget those consumption figures you have seen. Try to surf in the web by using 2 or 3 different browsers with those AV:s you are comparing. Check the opening time of your browsers which each AV. I'm sure that for example KAV 5.0.149 or Panda Platinum 7.07.01 are much slower to surf than MKS, much slower in REAL USE!

PS. If KAV is able to make an AV that is as fast to surf and use as F-Prot, you don't need to look for any other av:s there are available. But there is a big IF!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks for reminding me about that other memory error message I had. I will run Dell Diagnostics this weekend.

12. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

sooooo many false positives :rolleyes:

13. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I only had one, and they fixed it in less than 24 hours.

14. lynchknot

I see many ranging from files in Program files (such as winrar and Tauscan) and many themes are being identified as trojans such as theme for IM. So far, 11 false positives.

15. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I don't use themes, but I do have WinRAR, and it didn't detect it on my system. Did you send them the files? As I said, the only FP I had was fixed by the next day.

16. tazdevl

No winrar Fp here either. Methinks something must be up with your version of WinRAR.

17. lynchknot

I'm using the online version of MKS. The file in winrar is Default.SFX. I scanned with KAV and found nothing wrong.

18. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I just ran a test w/ the online scanner of JUST my Program Files directory. It didn't find anything. I have Default.sfx in my Winrar directory as well.

Which version are you running? 3.3 or the beta 3.4?

Anyway, if it's a FP, send them the file. As I said, they fixed my FP in < 1 day. Really, more like 8 hours from when I sent them the file to when I d/l an update that fixed it.

19. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I just ran a full scan using their online scanner of my gaming box. No problems.

I've only been using the actual program on a laptop at work, trying it out there. That was the one that had the FP.

I do remember that when I had the FP I tried their online scanner and it had the FP, so I'm pretty sure it's the same code, or at least the same virus defs :D

20. lynchknot

I'm using the online version of MKS. The file in winrar is Default.SFX. I scanned with KAV and found nothing wrong.

21. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I installed the mks_vir 2004 demo last night.

The registration went smoothly.
    Update was trouble free.
    I used the default settings for everything.
    The scanner was fast and thorough with 67,930 files scanned in 29m49s.
    No false positives.
    The scan reports were informational.
    I like the details that are available about updates.

The support I have recieved has been exceptional.
    Mariusz @ stormbyte has responded to every email inquiry in a matter of a few hours.

Mks_vir does use a lot of memory on my 512mb system.
    It hasn't been bad for my surfing though.
    I haven't noticed anything yet that I can't live with.

I'm impressed enough to seriously consider mks_vir 2004 for my main av program.

22. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Yeah, on my system it's using about 43MB of RAM.

23. tazdevl

Maybe you should try running the actual app instead. You aren't going to get the same level of thoroughness and functionality with an online scanner.

24. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Yeah, but I tried the online scanner too, just to confirm, and I didn't see the FP with my WinRAR install.

On the other hand, I noticed when I used the online scanner it d/ls a lot of the same files that are updated in the reg. app. And I did get the same FP that I had (earlier) on both the reg. app and the online scanner.

But, anyway, I don't see the FP lynchknot does, and I'm not sure if he sent them the file as I asked. Like I said, for my FP they fixed it in the very next defs release.

25. lynchknot

I was told there is no difference (advantage) between online or resident as far as on demand.Most of the FP were a file on my desk (repair disk) that I have not yet burned

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.