Anyone heard of mks_vir 2004?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tazdevl, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I have it on both and loving it. I am amazed by the updates for the program and definitions speedy production. This company is really going to be one of the best AV there is for a long time if things stay like this. :D

2. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

What about people reinstalling trial version every two weeks? You think that would be a good business practice on our side? :)

Mariusz

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well of course I don't think people should be able to do that, but what does that have to do with a clean uninstall? I'm not talking about the fact that the new trial version saw that I had the old trial version for three days and subtracted those three days from my 14 day trial. That was ok. I'm talking about leaving a lot of junk behind after the uninstall that has nothing to do with identifying someone who trialed the product and wants to keep on "trialing" it every two weeks or so. That is cheating and, of course, you need a way to stop that.

I uninstalled mks earlier this evening (as I only had two days left on the trial and tomorrow is a busy day) and it leaves way too much behind and I haven't even run a registry cleaner yet which I suspect will find a lot more stuff than the obvious stuff I found. I'm still convinced that my problem with updating was due to the non clean uninstall of the first trial version which I had for three days and then because a new version that allowed for updating had just been put up, I got it for the rest of the trial. As I told Mac Palys in an email tonite, I suspect very few persons, if any, were caught like I was between the old, inadequate trial and the new one so that would explain why others haven't been complaining about not being able to update the new trial version. I just wish I had known in the very beginning that a new trial version with updatiing was going to be posted soon. I would have waited to trial that one! I didn't know that though. In fact, I was so ignorant that I assumed that the first trial version was updatable! I would NEVER have tried mks if I had known ahead of time that the trial I was getting was not updatable. I was under the obviously mistaken impression that PC-Cillin was the only av with crippleware for the trial and I understand they have changed since 2003 when I had it and had to ask someone to give me a license just so I could try it as I don't try crippleware. (There was someone at my home site that bought a bunch of PCC licenses and gave them away to persons wanting to trial PCC 2003).

I have trialed a fair number of av over the years and the others uninstall fully after the trial (with the exception of NAV which is a pain in the butt to get off your box but Symantec has provided a tool to accomplish this). I haven't heard of other vendors complaining that because their trial version uninstalls properly that users are abusing the trial...but then maybe I just haven't heard about it.

4. Barney

Barney Registered Member

I am now trialing this AV. I have one question. What does that exclamation mark mean that appears in the tray icon. I look down there and I constantly see a big "!". Please let me know, I am curious. Thanks.

Barney

5. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

This is just to let you know that this software is a trial version and will expire soon :)

Mariusz
    www.stormbyte.com

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I never saw any big exclamation point in the systray when I trialed mks. The only time I saw an exclamation point was when I would right click scan a file and the on demand scanner would report it was infected. My tray icon was yellow and black stripes box with a red X superimposed if I disabled mks for a driver installation, etc. ...never an exclamation point.

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

bigc

unfortunatle there are software programs that don't have a very efficent uninstallers and it usually takes a bit of work to clean the system of the left over mess. But that is the chance we take when we use software, it might not seem right but we do have the option not to use that software.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

To Mele20,
    Has it occured to you that maybe MKS_vir and you were just not meant to be? lol!!

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

:D I'm beginning to think that I must have trialled something that was just masquerading as mks!!! :p
    Or maybe you are right and this "marriage" just isn't meant to be (at least at this point in time). :) Funny that I had no problems with another av that most everyone says slows their box a great deal. That one and I got along great so I guess that is the one I need to get except for one thing ....the font for the GUI is extremely tiny and I get a headache trying to read anything and you must spend considerable time with its GUI as it has a zillion ways to configure it...I dunno. I'm thinking of following the advice in the thread at dslr where so many are saying they don't use av. (I know Marcos of NOD32 told me that with my safe hex practices that he didn't think I needed an av).

10. Mac Palys

Mac Palys Registered Member

This means that virus definitions are older than 14 days.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

So does that mean Barney hasn't been able to update either?

12. Mac Palys

Mac Palys Registered Member

No, this means that he installed a 14-day-old version or had an incorrect system date.

13. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Interesting. Just reinstall MKS. PerfectDisk 6.0 Build 34 is now officially acting strange. Not only is a defrag pass taking for freaking ever (reminds me of KAV) to analyze and defragment, but it also isn't displaying the results of both the scan before and after defrag. Tried reinstalling, same issues.

I'm not sure what changed in MKS recently, but as a whole, my laptop is running noticeable slower since installing.

14. Zircon

Zircon Guest

To Tazdevl
    I have this problem too. I contacted tech support about it. It does take about 30 seconds for the Perfect Disk analysis to complete then it runs fine. If you open the virus monitor window you can see MKS is scanning the windows system32 folder.

15. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I tried mks_vir on a 266 Mhz P2 laptop, just as an experiment. Man, it really slowed things down. Meanwhile neither NOD32 or McAfee affect performance. I've pretty much given up on it.

16. tazdevl

FYI Z, I've been a licensed user for a while. This behavior is pretty abnormal based on my previous experience with the app. I uninstalled mks a while ago.

Defrag took 22 minutes, Too long. I also just ran Disk Cleanup... took about 5 minutes for 40MB of files. That normally would have taken about 20 seconds to clean.

Not sure what's going on with the app, also noticed when I close out windows in IE, rather than disappearing, I'm getting the good old scroll effect (disppears top to bottom) which is a indication that the app is hogging big time.

Laptop is a P4M 1.8, 5400RPM HD plenty of space and 768MB of RAM, not the fastest laptop, but not a dog either. This doesn't appear to the the MKS I'm used to.

17. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

To Tazdvl
    you are probably right, I have only been using for about two weeks, so no prior experience with previous versions, I just happened to discover the slowdown while trying to defrag with perfectdisk. But on my box after the analyse delay it defrags normally with no delay. It is annoying and I hope it is addressed.

By the way Z was me this morning cuz I could not log on for some reason.

18. Access Denied

Same slow down on Perfect Disk for Server/Windows 2003 Server during the analysis, then runs just fine. :'(

19. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

After doing some research at different forums I have found the general consenses is; "there should not be any apps running in residence while defragging".
    Seems to me I have read this sometime ago also and the tech support at MKS mentioned the same suggestion but stated they would look into it.
    I have to shutdown Prevx to defrag with perfect disk anyway.
    Thought I would pass it along.

20. tazdevl

Nah, only 2 avs that seem to have a major impact on defrag times are KAV and MKS (now). I don't buy that and have never disabled an AV when I was working as a systems engineer.

Defrag issues aside, it's still running screwy on my laptop so something updated in the last 4 weeks has gone hinky.

21. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

To Tazdvl
    Does this issue only affect Perfect disk during the analyse phase and/or the defrag? On my box and as noted here in some other posts,after analyse, the defrag runs normally with no slow down.
    In fact I have not noticed any slowdown of my machine whatsoever with the perfectdisk analyse exception.
    As far as the shutting down resident programs during defrag, I have not been doing it either, but I have found that it is recommended and have emailed Raxco for their recommendation and will post when I receive it.
    I use AVK on another box and it does not slowdown Perfect disk during analyse phase.

EDIT;
    Here is the reply from Raxco:

You can have other applications running, however, they will impact the
    performance of PerfectDisk.

We'll still defrag the files, however, with fewer resources available,
    we'll be less efficient about the task.

Regards,

jason claiborne
    senior systems engineer
    http://www.raxco.com/support/nt_email.cfm

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  22. tazdevl

As I said, depending on the AV, they will impact defrag to some degree, but MKS and KAV are outliers in terms of having a major impact on defrag time. I'm noticing it on analysis and defrag.

The behavior with MKS I've seen is totally different from what I've observed when I had it installed a few weeks ago. Can't tell you why, don't know, nothing has changed on my computer other than installing and uninstalling MKS.

23. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem, on my comp I have noticed no slowdown during defrag with MKS and no delay at all (analyse or defrag) with Extendia AVK with the KAV rts on with my other comp.
    Actually MKS has been a blessing in terms of my comp and apps being much snappier on start-up. It is like I have added a faster processor.
    I saw a thread at Stormbyte that the developers are going to look into this issue with perfectdisk.
    Good luck resolving the problem.

Regards

24. Access Denied

Hey tazdevl, I am running Aston Shell on XP Pro and instead of slowdown like before, it now has 7-9 sec lag to begin on both but runs much faster on both as well. Not sure why the change, but guessing its explorer.exe related in some way because I do not use that on XP. ;)

25. tazdevl

Here's another question for you to riddle. If I disable the mks monitor and mail scanner... why the hell are there 4 running processes sucking up 40MB RAM?

mksmenu, mks_scan, mksmonsv, netmonsv

There is no way to keep the app disabled until a user wants to run a OD scan.

Bah even if I disable mks menu via msconfig, still have mks_scan, mksmonsrv and netmonsv sucking up 33MB of RAM.

Mac, you guys need to also consider that your product might be used as a secondary scanner which means it doesn't run anything unless someone opens the app up. Not to mention there no way to close down the app via right click context which shuts all the processes down.

I'm hoping some more user centric ideas and common sense make it into MKS 2005 before it's released.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.