Anyone heard of mks_vir 2004?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tazdevl, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

If the mail scanner is NOT running, & a nasty enters via POP3, won't mks_vir's Antivirus Monitor catch it & sound the alarm?

In other words--

What are the advantages & disadvantages of running the mail scanner?

2. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Eliot from Firefighter!

Just checked eScan Free (= KAV engine) against my new 2040 infected archives collection. Total detectings were 1929. Deleted those detected infected archive ones from their folders. Scanned the rest with Kaspersky 5.0.142, detected none. Scanned the rest with BitDefender 7.2 Free, detected 20 infected archives. After all this I would say that AVK 2004 Pro (GData) is able to detect some 1949 from my 2040 infected archived files collection. Very impressive result when there were so many polymorphic engines that any av wasn't able to detect.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

3. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

To Firefighter

Thanks alot. I thought I had the right on access scanner doing the job for me. :D

4. Mac Palys

Mac Palys Registered Member

Hi guys,

I'am of MKS :)

Some details about problems you mentioned in this thread:

- real soon - probably next week - we will introduce the new form of mks_vir trial version, that could be updated for the period of 14 days. This will require registration on our website to get a serial number for the trial version.

- we are currently working hard to implement our own task scheduler, instead of the buggy system scheduler - this will solve the problem with password for administrative accounts but this probably will be included in mks_vir 2005 (due in October).

Two days ago we have released a major update which includes:
    - integration with Windows Security Center
    - SSL support in email scanner
    - handling of infected files in System Restore
    - viewing of monitor scanning queue
    - support for decompressing CHM files
    - new scanning module for BAT files
    - new heuristics for better detecting Gaobot-type worms
    - report sorting in on-demand scanner
    - improved SMS notification module in the server version

Also a small remark concerning support team response time - Technical Support department works Monday through Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM EST - which means basically we work when you sleep and vice versa :). We are working on improving our service too - so please be patient.

Useful links:
    MKS official website: http://english.mks.com.pl
    Technical Support: support@mks.com.pl
    Virus samples, suspicious files: virus@mks.com.pl

--
    mac

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders, mac, thanks for dropping in.

Hope you stick around.

6. Mac Palys

Hope so too.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

While you're here, can you tell us about the unpacking engine of mks_vir 2004. Which runtime packed files can it scan?

8. Mac Palys

Currently UPX, ASPack soon, PKLite already in tests

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I installed this last night and am impressed. I didn't realize though that it would not be able to update during the trial. When will a version be available that can update during the trial? I think I should uninstall this trial and wait for the one where updating will be available if that is coming soon.

10. bellgamin

I used the trial for 2 days & liked it a lot. Yesterday I bought a license, & today I downloaded the program. However, this version of MKS seemed very unstable. I tried 3 times to install it, but it crashed every time. I'm running WinME, so perhaps that was the cause. {Yes, I shut down EVERYthing before installing, except for explorer & systray.}

Stormbyte promptly replied to my request for refund.

I'll try again in several months. I still think this AV has fine prospects.

11. jojohot

jojohot Registered Member

mks_vir 2004 is very good...... :D

12. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

To put it bluntly, you need a new OS. Me is worse than 95.

FYI if I remember correctly, MKS 2005 will be out in a couple months. Might be worth it to look at it againt.

13. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Look 5 posts above you.

14. Mac Palys

Could you send a detailed description of these crashes to support@mks.com.pl ?

It's a pity, you didn't contact MKS support before giving back the product - maybe it was just a minor problem, that could have been solved in no time.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I got my trial from stormbyte. So, I uninstalled it tonite and went to the mks site and registered to get the trial version with the updates. That has been several hours ago and I still have no confirmatory email with the instructions for proceeding to download. :(

I hope my registration at the site actually went through. It took a very long time but said I was registered and that an email had already been sent to me. I should already have the email. Now I wish I hadn't uninstalled the trial I had for one day until I actually got the download of this trial.

16. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I am loving mks_vir as the access scanner. :D

17. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mac,

I have sent a number of e-mails regarding similar issues to support via Stormbyte with a number of minidumps, descriptions, and so on. Not sure if it is the same problem. My system is XP Pro, system reboot occurs within 3 minutes of a logon or in the same period if you stop at the logon screen (i.e. at service level only). The problem is remedied if the XP Task Scheduler service is disabled or if the mks_vir realtime monitor is not enabled. Demand scanning is rock solid. If the task scheduler is disabled, it is also rock solid with realtime monitoring.

Blue

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just an update and a clarification to my post above...

The update - I received an e-mail from support today, responding to a message sent a little over a day ago. They hope to have this problem cleared up within the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure how subtle the problem is, so I'm personally not planning to hold them to that tight time limit.

The clarification - or maybe just an expansion - MKS have been very responsive to trying to address this problem. Reading my message, it could sound like I've sent a number of e-mails into the ether without any action. That's decidedly not the case. These emails have been a series of on-going messages attempting to solve the problem. I was just a little surprised Mac seemed unaware of the problem, if it is the same as Bellgamin's.

From other mks users I messaged and seen post, it's not a universal problem. I think this is actually a very nice package. Even with the current problem, I am able to use it as a robust secondary scanner.

If you considering AV's these days, I'd say it's a very worthy option.

Blue

19. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

Because I've tested this av and my results have been SO GOOD, why to not resolve those problems we have seen in this topic? When an av is better than DrWeb in overall protection concerning common trojans too, that must to be A TOP NOTCH AV!

Best regards
    Firefighter!

20. bellgamin

I did send such info to the sales office of stormbyte. Their reply made no mention of any source for support.

On first attempt to install, MKS went through the installation process, then put up a window that said "mks_vir - Finalizing installation." That window stayed there for over 30 minutes before I decided that it was hung. I could not get that window to finish its work. I could not get it to close. I had to use ctrl-alt-del to get out of it. Then my system crashed.

On second attempt, MKS complained that there were out-of-date files in the set-up package, & gave me a button to download replacement files. I downloaded them, MKS began installing, & after a while produced a screen saying something about an "Error 1 in the email scanner" -- I didn't write down the exact words.

I find it odd that MKS made no mention of outdated files on the first install attempt but did so on the second attempt.

On third attempt, MKS installed then ran but went to BSOD in a few minutes. It then hung on the uninstall, so I had to clean the stuff out manually.

I realize ME is a convenient scapegoat, but...

_/ MKS claims to be okay with that OS.
    _/ Also, I have plenty of other programs that installed & run just fine.
    _/The MKS trial version installed & ran just fine -- it was the new MKS version that crashed my system.

As I said, I shall try again in several weeks.

21. Mac Palys

Please, send the technical info to support@mks.com.pl. If this is a deeply technical problem the producer is the one that can help. Only memory dumps analysis can help in this particular situation.

22. Mac Palys

Once again, please send technical info to support@mks.com.pl - sales department of the distributor cannot help in all situations.

That's really odd - I can see two explanations - setup file was corrupted, required prerequisites were not installed

Please, guys, if you have ANY problems with mks_vir, let us know about it (support@mks.com.pl) - this will help improve our product.

As you may have noticed we update all modules constantly. This means, that an error reported on day can be corrected in the next day update. So do report your problems.

23. Mac Palys

Have you written down your email address corectly in the registration form?

Please, send your registration details to webmaster@mks.com.pl to check out what happened with your trial info.

24. msanto

msanto Registered Member

How much RAM does NOD32 use?

25. bellgamin

As I noted earlier, your trial version ran just fine on my computer. It is too bad that your registered version and trial version are not the same.

Other AntiVirus programs have their trial version exactly like their registered version. Then, when I decide to buy a license, all I have to do is enter a registration number into their trial version and POOF! -- I have a registered version.

On the other hand, MKS requires the trial version to be uninstalled, and a registered version be installed. WHY are there two versions? This situation places unnecessary stress on my old computer (WinME) because installs/uninstalls are always a potential source of problems.

I do want to trial MKS again, and am 99% certain I will again buy it. But I do not want to have to deal with two separate installs - one for trial, & one for registered version.

Is there a possibility that MKS might change this situation in the near future?

best wishes.... bellgamin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.