Anyone heard of mks_vir 2004?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tazdevl, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

This situation was change last friday.
    If you download trial version right now it will be exactly same program that you can buy.

Mariusz
    www.stormbyte.com

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

To Mariusz from Bellgamin...
    If I buy, do I only need to enter a registration number in the trial copy? Or will I need to download another copy after I register?

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mac,

I assume that Stormbyte has already forwarded all the information that I provided to them to the main support group.

Let me know via PM if you want me to resend this information. I'd rather not clutter your support staff with duplicate material since there is a fair amount of it and I'm certain it is already in the proper hands.

Blue

4. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Here is what mine uses on Windows 2003 :D

Attached Files:

• nod.JPG
      nod.JPG
      File size:
      71.3 KB
      Views:
  5. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmm, significantly less. But I guess it's all a tradeoff. I've been worried by some threads about missed virii (not worried about trojans since I have BOClean) w/ NOD32. I'm also irritated by that "Context Menu Change message" that I seem to get under certain circumstances and other little nits.

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

mac, one other suggestion.

You need to clean up your uninstall routines. I just installed/uninstalled a licensed version. After the uninstallation, I rebooted.

When the system restarted, the MKS folder was still in Program Files and there were ~60 items leftover from MKS in the registry.

IMO that smacks of bad coding. If your app is uninstalled, you should pull every thing out you put in.

7. Mac Palys

Mac Palys Registered Member

It's been already changed :eek:

Now there is one the same installer form trial and full version. The difference is in serial number, that for demo version is valid only for 14 days. In this tial period demo version can be updated.

Before, the demo version was almost the same as the full version. The difference was in a disabled mks_update module. Now it's the same.

8. Mac Palys

The problem is a little bit more complicated. Things left after the uninstallation are logs, profiles and personal settings. I'm not sure if this should be removed.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The problem was my ISP (Road Runner which is one of the largest cable providers) is blocking your domain. I have no idea why. As soon as I changed my email address to another one not connected to my ISP, I got the serial number within a couple of minutes.

I have not been able to update though. I have been posting at Stormbyte forum and they have been trying to help me but I can't post screen shots there to show them what is going on. I also got a memory error message from mks the last time it tried to connect to the server to update.

What is this about needing passwords to XP accounts in order to update? Could that be my problem?

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just downloaded Microsoft's Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CF-2DEE-4772-ADD9-AD0EAF89C4A7&displaylang=en

When I tried to install it, mks alerted on four different files and stated that those files are infected with VBS.TrojanDelWin.dll.
    I quarantined the files. I also ran them by KAV and RAV online scanners which found nothing. I have sent them to mks. I really like how I can send the files right from quarantine. My current av lacks this ability and has a weird quarantine on top of it.

Attached Files:

11. Mac Palys

The problem might apear only while using automatic updating through Task Sheduler. Windows Task Sheduler requires a user with non-empty password to run a task.

If you update manually, there is no problem with passwords.

12. Mac Palys

There will be another virus definitions update today that will eliminate this false positive.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm not using the Windows Task scheduler so that rules out that as my problem. I have definitions from Aug 23 which was the day I installed the trial with capability of getting new definitions. I can only assume that there are newer definitions as I don't see anywhere at the mks website that the definitions are listed or the date they were added. :(

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

As for the false positive, I am glad you are correcting that so quickly but it won't help me since I can't get any new definitions. I will have to turn off mks in order to be able to install this Microsoft program. I guess I need to contact mks support about why I can't update. Even Stormbyte told me to contact support directly.

15. Mac Palys

Unfortunatelly, now it's only in Polish. On the first page at http://www.mks.com.pl there is section called "Aktualny mks_vir" which means "Current mks_vir". Definitions date is to the right of "Aktualizacja".

16. Mac Palys

OK - do it :) You click Update button in mks_update module and nothing happens ? Strange ...

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

First of all, I just got an email from mks about the false positives I submitted about an hour ago. That was fast!

When I click update in the update module, it first contacts the server and then reports an error. I can ping the update server ok although the pings are high for a cable modem connection (265ms average).

I use a local proxy (Proxomitron) but that is set up correctly and shouldn't be the problem.

I didn't set up auto updating in Tasks but it checks every hour anyway and everytime it reports the same error.

Attached Files:

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I also got this memory error today ONCE when it tried to update. Stormbyte told me to run lengthy memory tests which I don't have time to do right now. This computer is only 9 months old (Dell Dimension 8300 Hyperthreading 3GHz with 1024 RAM) so I doubt it has any memory problems. The Dell Diagnostics for memory (the full tests) take about 6-7 hours to run. Should I run the memory tests before contacting support?

Attached Files:

20. Mac Palys

21. Mac Palys

Please contact support right away. Send also the above screenshots.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That is good news! :)

23. Mac Palys

Just ask and you got it ! :cool:

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

OK. I will contact support now and send attachments of the screen shots. I have several more also (showing how I set it to use the local proxy, etc). If this isn't resolved quickly, I won't get to have any updates before my trial is over. When I installed the version that has definitions updates it didn't give me 14 days trial. It took up where the original trial without definitions update left off. I have 8 days left. I want to see how it works getting definitions before I decide to buy it. So, I hope we can get the problem fixed before the weekend and I am going to be gone most of Thursday and all day on Friday.

25. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Is there a way to add a whole pc to the exclusion list in mks_vir 2004? I have temporarily consolidated my shares on the other pc and added them individually. That is not a major problem but would be nice not to have to update the exclusion everytime a new share is placed on my server. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.