MSE 4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stratoc, Apr 24, 2012.

1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

2. reddice

reddice Registered Member

Can't get it no longer to check every hour for updates. Task Scheduler is broken.

Nevermind path has changed.
    The path is now "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate

Also in the program it will no longer change when it updates "Definitions Last Updated" unless there is a update. I know because I tried it using the command line and updating it clicking the update button.

Otherwise so glad it finally came out. I have my spare computer using this. When NOD32 runs out in June on my mothers I will be switching her over to this and when mine expires in December I will be switching over to MSE too.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Seems to be fine on my notebook. I feel safer already. ;)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It has been the same for 4 iterations and MS doesn't bother to tell what's new in it. As far as i'm concerned its the exactly same thing as MSE 1.0...

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

off topic posts removed. As this thread has the right title and in is the right forum it becomes the main thread regarding the new release.

6. Montmorency

Montmorency Registered Member

It is somewhat frustating... and yet, I always come back to MSE.
    In fact I never uninstalled it; I simply turn the real time protection off when trying something else. Never noticed a conflict, plus there's the bonus of another on-demand scanner.

Of course, I'm relying on Sandboxie but that's another story.

7. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Actually, based on my experience, it improved a lot. (well aside from simplifying the settings in version 4)
    Does this Task Scheduler tweak works in a Standard User Account?

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Its detection ability is multitudes ahead of older versions. This is a really great product now.

Get to testing it and find out for yourself.

9. Montmorency

In fact it's the other way round; the first Beta was incredible.
    The current version has only an average detection rate... but, considering zero FPs, negligible CPU usage, compatibility, ease of use... this is arguably the best free option.

10. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

It works in any account if you make System the user when you schedule the task. As reddice pointed out, the path to MpCmdRun.exe has changed.

They should have left the GUI alone. It really looks Plain Jane now.

11. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I thought that too. kinda ugly lol

12. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

If you are running Windows 7, you will probably notice an additional "Optional" Miscrosoft Update is now showing as available - - Bing Desktop. I personally have no use for this, but it seems to have started appearing in updates after installation of MSE 4. According to the info, it is available only for Windows 7. Guess MS is trying to push Bing as a Search Engine to try to get some of the Google Search Users. Since it's optional, I just hid it and went on my way - lol!

13. Daveski17

Thanks for the head's up on the Bing Desktop. I'll make sure I don't install that when I update MSE on my Win 7 machine.

14. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

lol wow Microsoft beat panda on going beta of Panda Cloud :D

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

From here:
    -http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-security-essentials-hits-40
    I'm not thrilled about the idea of yet another product moving toward auto deleting files without user interaction. :(

16. Montmorency

You can choose quarantine on Default actions.

17. Daveski17

Neither am I!

18. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Noticed it,I just hide that optional update.

19. reddice

reddice Registered Member

Bing is one of the worst search engines to tell the truth Google is not much better these days either. I just hid the update.

I don't know if it showed up with NOD32 or if it is a MSE thing.

20. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Guys in case you weren't aware,

They took the feedback and brought back Default Actions! :D

21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

How's the scan speed?

22. STV0726

From the beta, still not outstanding, but it's solid.

23. Dark Shadow

What do you mean,was it updated again with a different recommended setting other then delete?.

24. Dark Shadow

Before this very recent update,I tried a full scan and over an hour the green progress bar was hardly showing.I gave up on it and looks like its going to have to be a overnight scan.Unless something changed the latest release its Slower then snails.However the quick scan is pretty fast.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  25. STV0726

No. I mean the latest beta release (which is what this final release is based on) re-added the Default Actions settings that which allowed you to customized exactly how MSE should respond to threats at different levels.

If you remember there was a big outburst of concern when Microsoft removed Default Actions settings and introduced forced "automatic malware remediation" but now what they have done is improved on the old system while still giving users the option of customizing how it responds to threats.

To give you a quick rundown...the way it was in v2 is even if you checked "Automatically apply all actions" checkbox, it still prompted you and just acted if you were idle. Now, however, they have improved on this so for example if you select "Quarantine" for all the threat levels and then check that box at the bottom, it will automatically do that for you and instead of showing a red prompt it will just show a green box at the bottom that says that all is OK which is great for less tech savvy users.

But, if you are an advanced user and you want the prompts, you can uncheck that box and then choose what the "default" option is for non-administrators. But then if you are logged in you can have it ignore the threat, remove it, delete, whatever you want to do.

So basically, they removed the mandatory remediation part, but they improved upon how it works automatically when you choose specifically to have it be automatic. So essentially they did good. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.