MSE 4

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stratoc, Apr 24, 2012.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Sorry but ever since MSE was released, i haven't seen A SINGLE heuristic or any other proactive type of detection. The behavioral part that MSE is suppose to have is a complete vaporware.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

And yet it perfoms among the top AVs. Looks like it causes concern to some.

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Sorry but I've seen it in action :). It only happened once though, but that means it exists. I've probably seen more if I browse to dodgy sites though.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

hmmm, I actually thought folks said this about another product, a version 7, I do think so.:cautious:

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Either way, there just is no need in the real world for hourly virus definition updates.

Why not just use a layered approach to security then? I'd hardly call MSE 'too passive'. Browser hardening is 50% of the battle. Firefox/SeaMonkey with NoScript utilised effectively is an example.

And having an f-p tank your system & turn your computer into a paperweight is just as damaging, if not more so, than malware.

6. Daveski17

You may not have, but others have testified to it. If you don't run MSE yourself where are you getting all of this (dis)information from?

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

If my memory serves me right the very recent AVC test showed it having 93% detection rate?
    thats not bad...........and in my opinion, i wouldn't like FP's just for sake of better detection.

Let me assure you, not many people would distrust a reputed AV flagging a known good file as virus........they would delete it.

And hourly updates cannot be used to judge a product.........i update my AV once a day......i know i might get unlucky with a malware, but it hasn't been so in 10yrs.

Though as with any product things must continue to improve and mse is no different.

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Maybe he watched a "professional" youtube video choosing 10 links in MDL. lol.
    I'm not sure how he can continue to bash MSE without even trying it. :blink:
    EDIT: Anybody knows when MSE 4 is gonna be tested by reputable testers?

9. Daveski17

93% isn't bad at all. Is that MSE 4?

10. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I doubt, MSE 4 just got released.

11. Daveski17

Oh right, those professional YouTube videos! They're even more reliable than Wikipedia right? ;)

Yeah, it is a bit of a mystery.

I would be very interested in seeing what AV Comparatives eventually has to say about #4. We all know that #2 was slipping a bit, but all things being equal #4 should be back on top again.

12. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Yes.

Most of the BB in the products simply dont do anything, just sit quietly in the GUI.

Among the Free AV's, AVG has a decent working BB which reacts at times, quite a decent amount of time.

I haven't tested paid products much, any paid security suite which has a good working behaviour blocker which dont sit quietly in the GUI but detects good amount of malware?

Vendors with just signatures & heur also describe their product provides proactive protection coz as per them their heur has so called advanced detection technolgy, but you find the heur of most of the products simply doesn't do or detect anything. Same goes for BB of most of the products.

13. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Does anyone know if they have implemented a self protection module or is that handled via the UAC? I have personally seen 2 pc's, one running vista 32 and xp 32 both had the previous version of MSE installed and their machines completely overrun with a ransomware variant. Some fake security product asking for money everytime they login. MSE was nowhere to be found. I fixed their pc's using MBAM and SAS. When the ransomware was gone, MSE re-appeared like it was never gone in the first place. This happend about a year ago so I'm sure a lot has changed with MSE. I really did like it but was nervous after these 2 separate incidents.

Ice

14. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

There is no self protection in MSE 4

15. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I installed the program from the first post in this thread, but it still says version 2.1.1116.0. Wtf is this? :mad:

16. Daveski17

I would initiate 'search for updates' in Windows Updates if I were you.

17. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

thanks. I guess it works with UAC to help protect it from getting uninstalled or overrun etc... I saw a previous post about it, that it works with M$ other security related modules in the OS. I guess that is ok if you have UAC active. I still like the simplicity of the product and the price! :D

Ice

18. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Indeed a great price.:D

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes, avast!'s Behavior Shield is also completelly passive which i complained about several times but the so called (by ppl here) bloated Auto Sandbox does work and does work VERY well. And i've seen heuristics on several occasions. Static, emulated and also behavioral. I haven't seen any such thing from MSE. Ever.

20. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

version 2.1 ;)

21. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Looks like some people would like MSE more if it had a spinning tray icon or a shiny shield tray icon... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, at least we agree on that.. Cheers

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, but giving an option to disable stupid archive scanning from real-time in MSE would be a good start. Because i don't expect them to shorten the update check interval or make heuristics more aggressive.

Because this laggy sluggish real-time scanning is what makes me uninstall MSE after 1 day. Every single time. Especially since only MSE has such crappy behavior and no other AV.

24. Daveski17

That's a good rate. I bet #4 tops that!

25. Daveski17

Are you sure it isn't just your system?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.