No updates to ATI 11 for five months, why? (very annoying)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

As the title says really, i think 90% of people on this forum that have purchased ATI 11 are waiting for the long awaited update to be released that will fix a catalog of bugs reported throughout this forum, at this rate we will see ATI 12 before we get an update to ATI 11, the lack of updates to ATI 11 is just rediculess and unacceptable, the last update was released on November 7th 2007 and i think Acronis could at least let us know what the situation is with regard to updates to ATI 11.

I don't know if anyone agrees with me on the lack of updates to ATI 11, i just thought i would post to see if there is any reaction from unsatisfied users, and most of all, from Acronis them selves.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

But Acronis has let us know the situation. They have more important things to do than fix the bugs in TI 11.

Yes, I'm annoyed, but my guess is that they are working very hard on TI 12 and probably some new features which I won't want and which will introduce lots of new bugs. We will probably be told that the fix for bugs in TI 11 is to upgrade to TI 12.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You forgot one thing John ... it will cost ya to "get the new bugs" (upgrade from 11 to 12). :)

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Rather than speculate what may or may not work in the as yet un-released Version 12 I think that unhappy version 11 users should be given a free copy of Version 10.
    I would not call this a downgrade because in many respects it performs better than Version 11.

Xpilot

5. Artistar

Artistar Registered Member

Working on a new version while the old one is unusable in many, many ways? Am i the only one who doesn't understand Acronis' strategy?

For example, yesterday i decided to validate some file backups i've made in last few weeks, and every single one contained corrupted files.... Mhm. Wonder whose fault is it....

Also, i backup Linux partitions a lot, but now it ALWAYS gives me errors on different Debian installations - sth like filesystem contains errors - yeah, right, fsck showed nothing every single time.

And the list goes on and on, while we wait for the new and even more buggy TI version.....

Btw, i read somewhere on this forum that Acronis plans to release a new build when Vista SP1 comes out - well, it's out for quite some time now, and most of the software companies followed it with new build releases shortly after the official announcement.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

There have even been hints that a new build would be released a week or two ago.

As for Acronis working on the next version; virtually all software makers have at least one future verison in development at any given time -- nothing surprising there. It would be surprising, and indeed quite disappointing if Acronis didn't release a build of ATI11 with fare fewer bugs and that supports a much wider array of hardware. Since Acronis releases a new version ATI every year or about, one can't help but wonder if the next version's release will outpace a fixed version of ATI11.

I think ATI11 is selling mostly on the strong reputation that was built on prior verisons, a reputation that ATI11 can't help but chisel away until ATI offers something better. What many of us wonder now is whether Acronis has the capacity to produce something better or has it passed it's creative peak.

7. d.chatten

My guess was exactly this, to release version 12 without at least fixing a majority of the bugs in version 11 is beyond the joke, Acronis are getting worse and worse, as for upgrading to version 12 to fix bugs in ATI 11, that's exactly what happened with ATI 9 & 10, it's unexceptable, i believe if Acronis continue this way they are going to loose a lot of custom and the reputation of ATI is going to take one hell of a bashing.

8. d.chatten

LOL, love your logic :D

9. layman

layman Registered Member

If Acronis had continued to sell version 10, it would be outselling version 11 hands down. I need a couple of additional licenses, but have taken a pass. It has been obvious to me for several years now that Acronis really doesn't have its act together. The problems we see here can't be laid at the feet of the software developers, the lack of quality control and the issuing of versions with senseless features are evidence of clueless management. Acronis management is apparently deaf to the voice of the customer. They have a great instrument for hearing that voice here in this forum, but they continue year after year with a nonsensical business model, issuing faux releases rather than switching to a maintenance subscription model. [In fairness, they aren't the only company bumbling along this way.] As much as I like some of the concepts in True Image, there are other alternatives for imaging. Acronis is coasting downhill and being unresponsive to the customer as they do. That's why I'm getting better acquainted with other imaging products.

Last time I checked, version 10 could still be bought from a couple of sellers on eBay. I wasn't sure how legit this was, so didn't pursue it.

10. MuffPotter

MuffPotter Registered Member

11. bledd

bledd Registered Member

Are any acronis employees at least able to tell us that they are working on an updated 11 version? (I totally understand that you don't want to give release dates, as you can run into any problem before then)

But is a newer version of 11 (english) being worked on?

I was given an updated ISO to get my ICH9R to work, which was awesome, but still!

12. abragers

abragers Registered Member

This is my first and probably last post.

I've had ATI 11 for about a month, purchased with my new Dell desktop through the Dell site.

ATI 11 has been a very big disappointment. While other posts on this site have solved some problems I encountered, my biggest concern is that the software is not reliable, something backup software should be. Basic requirement, you'd think.

I switched from XP to Vista and was expecting a lot of problems with some older applications I'm using (in addition to going to a new PC and upgrading to the latest software of some other applications). The transition was quite easy and relatively problem free - few minor tweaks here and there. My biggest headache and time waster over the last month has been ATI 11.

I'll probably give them a couple more weeks for the next release of version 11. If it doesn't happen, I'll switch to a different product. My only regret is that I'll have to waste more time by going through the multi-step/stage process to remove the software from my PC.

13. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I wonder if Acronis is getting the "message" from these messages and the responses in other threads.

Long time users, consultants who recommend software to clients and new users are all pretty fed up with the performance of TI 11 and the slow response by Acronis in fixing the product.

This product has lost the Editor's Choice from PC Magazine to another imaging product. What more does Acronis management need to hear to realize that they have made some serious mistakes that they need to correct promptly.

The situation can be salvaged, but it will take better product management than we have seen for quite a while to acomplish that. As they say in American politics, "It's time for a change."

Change Acronis True Image, or I change Acronis. Time is running out.

14. Osmosis

Osmosis Registered Member

WOW!!! This is the saddest thread/post I have every seen! Can't believe Acronis moderators haven't posted some kind words of encouragement. You can see my list of products I have purchased - I go way back as a former customer of Acronis.
    Acronis Products.jpg

That's right, a former customer; I have stopped using all versions of True Image and have moved on to other imaging products. I have seen ad's where you can get TI 11 for almost FREE, after rebates, but I have stayed away.

I have abandoned TI because it's just not reliable and can't be trusted! To say this product is a disappointment is a understatement. I have worked in the PC industry for many years and have always recommended TI but have contacted all those referrals I have made and have withdrawn those recommendations.

What else can one say - I suspect Acronis moderators will delete this final message from what used to be a very Loyal Customer!

Rod

15. Phenny

Phenny Registered Member

That's what bothers me the most about it.
    A little status report too much to ask?

16. bledd

bledd Registered Member

we can keep bouncing it up to the top until they say something

17. shieber

It's actually a halfway decent review that PCMag gives, noting that fixing the fundamental problems seems to have taken a back seat to the adding features which takes ATI off of the top of PCMag's list. Unfortunately, the review doesn't address enough of the problems-- apparently only what showed up in a cursury run through with the program. For example, there's no mention of the progres bar wonkiness, the wackadoodle "Have no backup" alert or the more general issues re support of diff types of chipsets, RAIDs, etc. So the reveiw at least makes the basic point, that ATI has fundamental probs that aren't being addressed and which knock ATI off out of the throne -- which is a lot for PCMag review to do.

The one thing that ATI had over the competition was the automated backup file management. However, since that's broken in ATI 11, what's the point of using ATI 11 instead of other, more fundamentally sound products. Acronis has been selling unabashedly selling ATI11 since last fall-- perhaps what they should work on is an alert to prospective customers that Acronis is willing to sell dodgy backup software. Alert: "Have no decent backup software--you're using ATI11".

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  18. d.chatten

I couldn't agree more, BUMP

Thanks for everyones input so far, it seems everyone that has posted in this thread are very unhappy with the state ATI 11 and the no respose attitude of Acronis them selves, the least Acronis could do is respond in one way or another.

I will give Acronis the chance to defend them selves with regard to the state of ATI 11 and what they intend to do about it, if anything, also if i get told at some later date to upgrade to ATI 12 to solve an issue that existed in ATI 11 i won't recommend or purchase ATI again.

19. Volker Nadolski

Volker Nadolski Registered Member

I have to agree to all of you. The Echo versions are good, but the home version is a complete mess. As a "multiplier" I stopped to tell the people to buy Acronis 11 for their PC. In enterprise environments TI Echo still is a good choice, but maybe this will change...MS is working on a new version of dataprotector (with baremetal restore possibility on different hardware..), this means full MS-Support....

Greetings

Volker

20. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

So far I've been well-served by TI but I read every mentin of other products that has been posted here and elsewhere. The reason is that I don't like the lack of a new version when so many problems have been identified. I don't like the Linux recovery environment which to me is a potential problem waiting to happen when I change hardwre.

I would never recommend TI to anybody as a secure backup program unless they knew as much about computers as I do.

21. bussoguy

bussoguy Registered Member

I have had to go back to V10 as V11 b8053 rescue CD does NOT support my raid but the rescue disk with V10 DOES. Figure that, I'll certainly be looking forward to an update.

22. shieber

Does that mean you are still recommending ATI11 to anyone? You are a brave fellow. I would still recommend ATI10 for many but not all hardware set ups however, it's generally not available. I didn't think anyone wouldrecommend ATI11, especially if you are making a living based in part on what you recommend.

23. d.chatten

I used to recommend ATI in general, but, i will not be recommending ATI 11, my statment about having to upgrade to ATI 12 to fix issues that are pressent in ATI 11 was in referance to myself, at the moment, if anyone is wanting to purchase or upgrade ATI i recommend version 10 if they can get hold of it, version 11 is not someting i would recommend unless Acronis sort out the issues/problems with version 11.

24. bledd

bledd Registered Member

if you're a paying customer, log onto the acronis site, then look for the live-chat link and explain to them, they can give you an updated iso which works with it

i've got an intel ich9r raid which now works with the new iso they gave me (has an updated linux kernal in it)

they'll ask for your serial, so don't bother if it's a pirate copy

25. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The make, model or version of the Linux recovery environment was changed in TI11 resulting in some problems with hardware configurations that worked with the previous version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.