No updates to ATI 11 for five months, why? (very annoying)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Re: New German version out (Build #8105, 2008-05-0:cool:

Well the version number has changed for a start! :argh: What more did you want? :D

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Anytime :) Glad to have helped ;)

3. truthseeker

Name one product on Earth that is 100% perfect and 100% of the time works perfectly and which does not contain a single bug. Can you? If not, why do you have such high demands that TI does?

And I stick by my comments... Most problems are based on user ignorance and lac of understanding how to perform the tasks properly.

4. truthseeker

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes and No

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

But you have not stuck to your comments. You started in a previous post by saying all . You have now diluted this to most.
    Had you used the word some, which would undeniably be true, I would have not botherd to comment on your post at all.

BTW have I understood correctly from some of your previous posts that you do all operations from the Acronis recovery CD?
    If this is so it would explain why you have not been exposed to many of the problems that only affect TI when used in live mode. For example Acronis scheduled backup images.

Xpilot

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Truthseeker pops up every now and then pretty much to the same purpose, but this is the first time I've seen him denying product problems at the expense of directly insulting the product users. Perhaps the tremendous crunch of comlaints since ATI11 was released is provoking emotions in the most loyal users and Acronis employees. Well, the more folks in the discusson, the merrier. Alas, the dreaded ATI11's bugs, coding errors, and driver probs are well documented.

I've defended prior versions of ATI against some complaints that I thought might be misguided or misdirected. ATI 8, 9 and 10 were, like most software products imperfect. But ATI11 is something else; it's a quantum leap or two downward in release-product quality. Just plain sloppy and not worthy of being released for sale, imo. Although I stil lhope that Acronis will turn itself around and again produce professinal quality backup/imaging software for home users.

I've gotten ATI11 to do full backups and restores on one of five machines that I've tried it on. Of course, even on that machine it exhibits the bugs that arenot hardware specific. Btw, ATI10 works on all 5 of my machines plus all but one of about a dozen other folks' machines I've tried.

7. truthseeker

I said most, and if I initially said all, I am sorry, as that was a mistake on my part. I meant MOST, not all.

I do not use the Acronis recovery CD all the time. I sometimes use it, but also use the VistaPE CD I created and I also use the F11 function to boot my Acronis HDD partition and run Acronis from HDD.

I do admit that I do not use scheduled feature as many others do, so I cannot comment on that part.

Is the scheduled backup images feature in Acronis really buggy is it?

8. truthseeker

How about I say this instead..... For me, for what I do, Acronis TI11 has never let me down and has worked flawlessly for me. I use it to backup my Vista NTFS partition and my Ubuntu Linux ext3 partition. They backup and restore flawlessly and I really love Acronis TI, it has helped me so much and I recommend it highly to friends and associates all the time.

9. korn2007

korn2007 Registered Member

That's why I don't use ATI anymore. ~Off topic comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  10. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Ha Ha !
    I am glad that Acronis works on SOMEBODY'S MACHINE !

I guess there are very few geniuses who are well-qualified to deal with such a highly technical program. :D

11. layman

layman Registered Member

Forums of this sort are predominantly negative in tone, because people come here - not to tout their successes - but to troubleshoot their problems. But there is typically also an element of forum regulars who we might think of as software 'groupies' - big fans of the product who will jump to its defense, no matter what.

The problem with TI is not the product, per se. Conceptually, TI is the right idea. Oh, it suffers from an amateurish user interface, but otherwise it's the feature set most of us are looking for --- conceptually. The problems with Acronis have to do with a serious failure of management. If you are going to succeed in the software biz you must have a sound business model and sound process management. In these two areas, Acronis is bust.

First of all, they are creating their revenue stream by introducing a major release yearly. These releases incorporate useless or half-baked new features, fail to fix known defects, and introduce lots of new bugs. All the bugginess is the result of an inadequate development process. They may have some bona fide tech wizards working on the product, but that just ain't enough. The failures here are all management-related, and I can't see any reason to be optimistic that Acronis is going to get its act together. This bums me out, because I'd like to see the product succeed.

So here's a few tips for Acronis management:

1) Ditch your bone-headed release cycle and switch to a support subscription model; then, set about actually fixing the %^&$%# defects and getting the fixes to the user in a timely way!

2) Disconnect the rescue media builder from the release cycle so that the product doesn't become useless or a PITA when the customer buys new hardware.

3) Get a clue: You've lost sales because of the unavailability of version 10. I won't touch 11 with a ten foot pole, but would have bought a couple of licenses were 10 still available.

4) For pete's sake, hire the management or consulting expertise necessary to whip your software development process into shape, -- including a function you currently appear to be largely lacking: quality control.

You have a customer base that desperately wants to see you succeed, but not enough to put up with the current abominable state of things!

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

OK, you have none of the problems that many other people have. Don't every replace that computer or upgrade TI. :)

13. jmk94903

That was why I put it on my list. Acronis has had all sorts of problems writing a dependable scheduler. For many users, scheduled backups are essential. My clients expect a scheduled backup to run without them having to check up on it every day.

If you use the TI Recovery CD on a number of new systems, you would quickly find hardware that is not supported. What is worse is to find that TI 11 no longer supports hardware that was supported by TI 10.

Try the backkup locations. You do that from within Windows. Set the limits and watch what happens. Backups are supposed be deleted after new backups are made to maintain room on the partition. Sometime it happens, sometime it doesn't, and backups are missed because the partition if full.

If you are not using all the features that Acronis includes, then you can't really say the product works properly for you on your system. That's like someone saying the steering on their new car works perfectly, but they only make right turns and have never tried to turn left when others report that the wheels fall off when you make a left turn.

What many people are saying is that the wheels have fallen off.

14. laserfan

laserfan Registered Member

Hmmm, and from this I would believe that you are a complete jerk! :p

I've used various versions of TI for years, lastly TI7, then I "upgraded" to TI11 and I get "corrupt archives" where I never did before. I reverted to 7 and all's well again.

I have none of the time, interest, nor inclination to troubleshoot this problem with/for Acronis and so like others await a repaired version, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

15. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I haven't read all of this thread but wanted to post my thoughts. I wouldn't recommend TI 10 to somebody with Vista because of the Vista repair issue - if that had happened to me I would have stared the computer in the face not knowing what to do.

I believe Acronis owes us a workable version of TI 11. I bought TI 11 for one of my Vista/Dells and was unable to use it - I couldn't get it to boot the rescue CD so I had to go with 10 on that computer. I basically have a purchased version of 11 running on nothing right now. I am hoping a new build will fix that problem... I don't think it would be fair to ask me to buy Version 12 to replace 11 that NEVER worked on my computer.

Sandy

16. jmk94903

Hi Laserfan,

I think Truthseeker came on a bit strong with that comment, but if you read his other comments, he has shown that he is trying to understand what the problems really are.

Your comment on the other hand is an insult. Flaming isn't going to make this forum better, so how about making a different type of response that moves the discussion forward.

17. truthseeker

If Acronis is so bad, why don't you write the "perfect" program then? It's easy to be so critical of Acronis when I bet you could not write a better program.

18. truthseeker

Well it's a new Notebook, so I will be running it for awhile more :)

And no need to upgrade TI11 because it's working perfectly for me.

19. truthseeker

1. YES I can say it is working properly for me on my system for what I want and need to do. TI11 is working flawlessly for me and my system, never had a problem.

2. A VERY BAD and VERY POOR analogy with the steering wheel because I have made right turns (backed up) and left turns (restored) and my Acronis TI11 (steering wheel) works perfectly and I can drive left and right without a problem at all.

3. Define "many people". You say, "many people are saying is that the wheels have fallen off". Well define many. Because you have not met or spoken to every single buyer of Acronis TI11 to come to a conclusion that "most" TI users have said any such thing. So unless you work for Acronis and know the exact number of TI that has been sold, and unless you have spoken to every single TI user on Earth, you cannot come to a fully informed conclusion of how many people are complaining.

As far as you know, there could be a very high percentage of TI users who are very happy and pleased with the program.

So your comments are poorly analysed, and poorly concluded using limited and incomplete information which are based on your personal assumptions.

20. truthseeker

Any person who needs to insult another person by calling them immature and childish names such as jerk, really expose their insecurities for failing in getting something to work properly. It comes down to a life long struggle with low and poor self-esteem issues.

Secondly, I myself and many others use TI11 with success, so just because you can't, only reveals user error and user ignorance on your part.

21. truthseeker

Acronis TI11 works perfect on my Vista. And the bootable CD works perfect too. And I even created a VistaPE Bootable CD with the Bart TI11 plugin, and it flies when backing up and restoring, because that boot CD uses the Vista drivers instead of the Linux drivers.

So Acronis has already released a workable version of TI11, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

TI11 works perfect backing and restoring my Vista and Linux partitions. Not a problem at all, and the restores work perfectly every time, without fail. And TI11 runs perfectly on my Vista OS.

The fact and truth is.... Acronis TI11 works perfectly on many systems, including my own. But as with anything, eg. MS Windows, Adobe Photoshop, CAD software, etc. etc. there will always be a few people who complain about it not working properly on their system.

WHY? Answer: Because no matter what it is, whether it's MS Windows or any other of millions of applications or software, there will always be a few people who cannot get it working and instead of looking in the mirror and seeing user ignorance, their pride resorts to blaming everything else for their failure to understand and to properly use the software.

Keep up the great work Acronis. I use TI11 with great success and I have recommended to many friends and associates and they all have it working too.

Dear Acronis Staff, please do not let a few ignorant users on this forum deter you from the good work that you. The few people who are complaining about TI are the exact same people who complain about the weather, government, next door neighbours, the cat and dog down the street, work colleagues, friends, etc etc. They complain about everyone and everything, and are not to be taken seriously. They are simply pessimistic and negative people who love to be miserable and complain about everything.

I continue to use TI11 with great success and it has helped and rescued me numerous times. I will continue to recommend it to people.

Thanks again Acronis.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  22. truthseeker

Thanks jmk94903's, but it's ok. I have dealt with people like Laserfan before. They always complain about everyone and everything, and blame everyone else for their own mistakes and ignorance. Then they resort to name calling because their self-esteem is threatened.

23. jmk94903

Let's all just try to get along. :)

None of us is perfect. Well, there may be some, or at least some that are very close to perfect, but the point is that we get a lot more accomplished if we just let some things go and focus on solving problems.

24. truthseeker

So are you using TI 11? If so, on what OS?

25. domg

domg Registered Member

Why not just make ver 10 officially available for ver 11 purchasers?

Question for Acronis -- Have you ever considered making a download of TI10 available on the website for all users who bought TI11?

Speaking as an owner of both versions, such a move could solve a number of problems. It seems such an obvious customer-friendly thing to do, & very easy to implement.

I can't think of a single commercial or practical argument against it. Acronis care to comment?

dom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.