No updates to ATI 11 for five months, why? (very annoying)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You're living dangerously, as the saying goes, if you haven't done an actual restore.

2. Mr_Crunch

Mr_Crunch Registered Member

This is my first post and I've registered to join the chorus of dissatisfaction with TI 11 (8053) and Acronis.

After trialing it, I found it a bit flakey, but was impressed by the pre sales chat, and figured I just need to bed it in. I've invested alot of time (and money, I've bought two licenses for an XP machine and Vista) in trying to "SET AND FORGET".

On the surface, this product appears to be the answer to sleeping at night, knowing that your backups are running as you sleep. However I, like others keep banging into bugs, that should not exist in a product that needs to be totally reliable. No fancy features, just rock solid. I even wondered if 11 stood for version 1.1!

1) Editing a Task crashes the program. Creating a new one and editing that crashes as well. So I can't edit tasks, just create them. I've been told that this is known issue, but when asked, no indication of a time frame for a fix. Judging from this thread it "maybe sometime"

2) Scheduling doesn't work, both on XP and Vista. I believe Vista has issues with going to sleep, but my XP machine has power saving completely turned off and after changing the time to run in the early hours, it doesn't even attempt to run. Nothing in the logs, nada. This feature is what attracted me to the program in the first place. I'm going to attempt to schedule this using Windows task scheduler and invoke the scripts.

3) When running the restore, at a certain point the program appears to freeze. This is exacerbated when restoring over the network, to the tune of 30mins or so. Initially I thought it had crashed. There should be some sort of feedback here. I can live with this, but seems pretty un user friendly.

So I'm thinking do I persevere given that I've "almost" got it set up (I can run manually, and restore ok), or cut my losses and ask for my money back.

Sorry for the long post, but that feels better!

I'm very interested as to what the better alternatives are that people have illuded to?

Cheers,

Stewart

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

1. I suffered from problems when editing a task from way back. I could have been using V 8 or V 9 at that time. Ever since being caught out once I now always delete and recreate tasks instead of editing them. That way works every time.

2. There is an Acronis patch for this. I have not used it myself. It was simpler to roll back to version 10. Never had any missed backups with V10.

3. Are you running validations as part of the backup process? I don't use them myself because of the way my system is set up they are not necessary.

4. If you can get a copy of V10 and if it runs on your hardware in my book that is the way to go.

Xpilot

4. Mr_Crunch

Mr_Crunch Registered Member

Some progress...

I've successfully created XP and Vista task to schedule the scripts - thanks to Mark J Wharton KØLO (and his neighbour!) for providing this. Haven't tested the "wake up" as yet, and not sure whether XP will wake up Vista as a result of network access. Will update tomorrow.

Acronis support haven't mentioned anything about a scheduler patch. That's why I'm taking the Windows task manager route...

I don't do validate, but still get a pronounced delay after choosing the source disk. Guess it's doing some pre restore validation...

Time for some sleep...

5. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Look here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=207642&page=2

And there are a few others in parallel threads at that forum.

6. Haeckli

Haeckli Registered Member

Hi all,

new build coming ... see here

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

What like .... extensive testing "by our customers"

It might be funny except it is true. Acronis have been able to get away with something that noone else in the software industry seems to have been able to. Namely, to produce and release an untested and buggy product and rely on customer problems and feedback to un-wrinkle the bugs.

This approach is etched deeply in their philosophy. I remember problems on every release since v1.0. However since V9 or 10 I have noticed that their annual release in the last quarter of the year comes ahead of everything, and it seems that this now results in a new version appearing before the bugs have been cleared in the current one. If you want your bugs fixing then you need to upgrade to the new version, where-upon you inherit a different set of bugs, and so the Acronis machine grinds on.

I really liked this software and have used it pretty much trouble free since V1.0. What we as customers need (and some might say Acronis need too) is for a competitor to steal their lead. I have been surprised how long it has been for serious competitors to appear, but I think at last Acronis may have finally hammered the last nail in their own coffin.

F.

8. DwnNdrty

Close, very close ... I was thinking more along the lines of, "by our loyal users on the forum".

You summed up the situation nicely. I'm glad I stuck with ver 9 build 3677. I probably would not be changing my hardware any time soon but I would like to try out a quad core ..... and see if ver 9 will still work with it.

9. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

Come on Acronis, give us some real answers :mad:

10. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Actually, you are a bit off. The charm of True Image is that every build is a new 1.0 that comes with new bugs to excite and intrigue the users in addition to the fun they have finding out if any of the old ones were fixed.

If you want to sleep at night, take a sleeping pill.

11. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I have no idea why so many people here complaining.

I have been using Acronis TI 10 and now 11 for a very long time.

They work fantastic.

I use TI 11 regularly without problem. Just backed up my latest Ubuntu Linux 8.04 install and my Vista, no problems whatsoever.

And restoring my images has never ever given me a problem.

I would believe that all the people here complaining and claiming TI is not working, that it comes down to user error and user ignorance.

12. Haeckli

thx for your compliments. You finally make all those disappointed users understand what their real problem is... Everyone should be happy now:)

Happy times to all my ignorant colleagues...
    Haeckli

13. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I strongly disagree with your final sentence or is it an attempt at humour?

I have used TI from Version 8 up to Version 11. None of these actually perform fully as specified. They all fall down in different areas ranging from failing to automatically run schedules to inability to properly handle file backups.

However it is possible to get good and consistent results from each and every version provided one avoids using the parts that do not work.
    Used for whole drive image backups and restores all the versions I have used worked flawlessly. The problems start when one wants to run things automatically and also try to use the extra features that have been added over the years. Some work but many do not.

I have devised my own work arounds and am sticking with Version 10, which in the cut down way I use it is 100% reliable and effective. I did dip my toes into the murky waters of version 11 but the first failure to produce a scheduled backup was enough for me.

Xpilot

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI 11 has lots of know, reproducible bugs, many more than previous versions 8, 9 or 10. And I think it has gone longer in it's buggy version without a significant update/fix than prior versions. It's the reason that most of us that have used ATI 10 have kept using it after trying ATI 11. I still ATI 100 better than the other brands but one of the others has a nifty feature. It's boot CD runs VistaPE so it has all the drivers that Vista has PLUS you can add drivers on the fly abfter booting up from the bootCD.

If ATI moved in that direction, it would be big improvement inthe product although for ATI11 it wouldn't address many of the bugs that have nothing to do with the boot CD. Some of the bugs show up even if only doing full backups, without scheduling or using tasks. For example the whacky "progress" bar that seems to be confounded by harddisks that have more than one partition -- more than one partition is very common these days, especially on laptops.

15. David111

David111 Registered Member

Acronis what with Acronis Live Update ??

Today is 12.05.08 and still nothing :(

16. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This is why Acronis hates to give dates ahed of release ;-)

Originally anticipated in March, then April -- now hoping for maybe May.

17. Haeckli

how can you expect live update functions if not even update notification by email is working?

18. David111

David111 Registered Member

live update is a title - Acronis Live Update for Acronis True Image 11 Home
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/beta-testing/

How this work - I dont know. Probably this is client for installation.

19. jmk94903

Do you run scheduled backups?

Do you use backup locations and set the number of full and/or incremental or differential backup to be created in those locations?

Do you use the Outlook email backup and restore?

Do you use email notification?

Do you backup to a NAS device?

Have you made File and Folder backups and restored them?

Have you restored your Vista image to a new hard drive?

Are you using Vista with SP1?

Are all of these features working correctly for you or have you experienced user error when trying some of them?

20. johnstar

johnstar Registered Member

We have been Ripped off!

I paid for t11 and it wont even restore an image due to it greying out my destination drive, apparently some bug or other, Worthless! Worthless! I would ask for a refund but i live in hope that a fix will be issued, i feel like a mug!:mad:

21. jmk94903

I think this calls for one of those "Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel." replies, but I feel your pain too sharply to do that. Oh, I did it, but please forgive me. I couldn't help myself. :)

Now, let's see if I can help. Sometimes TI thinks a partition is not large enough to accept an image, so it greys out that partition when you try to restore. Sometimes this happens even when you are trying to restore to the same partition that the image was made from. As I recall, this is almost always with Windows Vista. It may also happen mostly on partitions that were created by Vista during the Vista installation as opposed to when Vista is installed on a partition that was created by Windows XP.

If you can increase the size of the partition, even by just a few MB, you may see that it is no longer greyed out and be able to complete the restore.

If this doesn't solve the problem, please start a new thread with your problem because it's not likely to be seen here.

22. DwnNdrty

That's a strange one ... this software gets weirder and weirder. o_O

23. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I believe this might still be in beta testing. I am aware of some minor behaviour problems that the first beta had - annoying but not fatal.

OTOH, perhaps they have decided to combine it with either the next build of TI 11 or ready for TI 12, after all it was at one stage going to be included as part of TI 11.

Colin

24. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Yeah, that's the ticket ! --Jon Lovitz :D

25. mad64

mad64 Registered Member

New German version out (Build #8105, 2008-05-0:cool:

As the titel says. there is a new german version:
    Build #8105, 2008-05-08.

However, it's missing any change log information. so difficult to say what they've done to it... o_O

MD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.