No updates to ATI 11 for five months, why? (very annoying)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by d.chatten, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

There certainly used to be a problem with TI 10 and vista related to the start address where the system partition was created. I think (but I could be wrong - it has been a while since I chekced) that if you are just restoring an image into a partition created by the Vista install disk then you are OK.

If you create the partitions from within TI or do a full disk restore I think this causes the system to fail to reboot. One fix is to do a repair from the Vista boot disk to fixup up the boot record to point at the system partition.

As I said things may have changed since I last looked 6 or 8 months ago, but this was the general nature of the problem.

F.

2. mistyisle

mistyisle Registered Member

I have True Image version 9. Is there any chance I could update to version 10 ? (not version 11)
    Mistyisle :(

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Note, folks, that SP doesn't do file level backups. But it's pretty darn solid on partition/disk backup/restores thanks to the VistaPE restore environment it uses.

4. layman

layman Registered Member

This actually strikes me as a plus, since it's hard to understand the rationale for packaging apples and oranges in the same crate. It is odd that Acronis chose to use the same file extension ambiguously, and stranger still that they didn't see the potential for selling two distinct products at the same price point. I certainly would have ponied up for the products separately. Keeping them distinct would have simplified the code base and made it easier to manage. The more functionality they cram into this piece, the greater the complexity. The greater the complexity, the more numerous the defects. As it stands, version 11 is so defect-ridden you get the impression that Acronis development is simply buried in rework.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't use either but I believe the problem requiring a repair appears if the disk was formatted with Vista rather than using an XP formatted partition. There is a larger size offset in the "boot area" when formatting with Vista.

6. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback on TI10 and Vista. I found TI10 rock solid on my Vista (as I mentioned, I have done no repair, but realize that is rare.) TI 11 had been more of a problem/trial for me...

Sandy

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Numerous off topic posts removed.

Undoubtedly a reminder is needed that this is the Acronis support forum. Any other like programs as usual can be discussed in our software & services forum.

Thanks,
    Bubba

8. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Sandy, how is Ti11 for you when you do basic backup and restores? Does that give you any problems?

9. foghorne

I agree. Acronis seem to have been so caught up in evolving the product they seem to have missed the obvious - namely that piling in features without understanding your users' needs makes any product harder to use. I for one would be happy with a fast reliable backup and restore, possibly with scheduling or the ability to schedule externally. I don't need all the extra crap.

As far as increasing the complexity goes I have long since argued that software engineering bears a remarkable similarity to mechanical engineering. Increasing the complexity is equivelent to increasing the number of moving parts. The more moving parts you have, the shorter the MTBF and the more expensive the product is to produce and maintain.

I think Acronis have lost the plot - which is a genuine shame.

F.

10. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I do agree with some of your comments. Some good points that you raised and it's a valid analogy that you use with the moving parts in reference to engineering.

I do not believe it is a good idea to add too much features to a product like the disk wiping etc that they have. If we want a good disk wiping tool we can download Eraser etc. And the more features someone put into their product the more the risk of bugs and issues.

So maybe Acronis should consider just implementing the basic and useful features and leave out all the unnecessary bells and whistles that are not related to backing up or restoring data.

11. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

12. foghorne

Did you hear something ??

F.

13. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

None. I have it on 2 computers and tried it on a 3rd. Was able to restore single partitions and full disks on all of them. The trouble was getting the rescue media to load on one computer. I also have that yellow banner thing and the counter doesn't work. Minor "issues" as long as the restores are perfectly predictable then I am happy and will continue to use Acronis.

I have noticed Norton having trouble lately where they didn't. As computers get more powerful and "involved" software companies may be struggling. I have Norton 360 version 2 on all my computers - a program far more expensive than Acronis and they basically can't fix certain things. One computer had to be downgraded back down to Norton 360 version 1. Norton just had to walk away unable to get to get it done. (Now I am sure I will here the "I hate Norton" crowd - but I do like them and really like 360.)

Sandy

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

more off topic posts removed.

It's pretty simple and known by most who visit this forum regurlarly....Acronis support is this Forum and in particular this threads purpose, NOT other like programs and for sure open discussion\comments concerning moderating action...."2 cents" or 4 cents.

Bubba

15. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sometimes a critique is good user support.

16. domg

domg Registered Member

Have they said anything yet?

17. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

Not yet, no, it seems as if Acronis aren't that bothered about keeping thier loyal customers happy, we've had one post in this thread from Acronis support that doesn't explain a lot, the least they could do is give us some sort of timeframe for the release of a new build.

18. laserfan

laserfan Registered Member

But in your first post you mention only a "catalog of bugs", nothing specific, and so all that announcing an update here would do is give unrealistic expectations, to eveyone in this thread, that THEIR PARTICULAR bug or issue has been addressed. Ain't never gonna happen, that the next release is going to fix all the concerns with ATI11 mentioned in this thread, much less the entire board. So IMO this is just a "bitch" thread and I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been deleted altogether.

The best anyone here can hope for I think is that their specific problem has been noticed, and I would fault Acronis support for this much: they seem Never to acknowledge Any problem with their software, or that any solutions are being actively sought & worked with their end-users. I've owned (and enjoyed) ATI for many years, but spent little time here because at least up-to ATI7 it's just always worked! But it appears to me that this board exists solely to help users navigate the program's features, and NEVER to ack or comment on problems in the software, as if it would get them cross-wise with the coder(s), or were some sort of corporate policy.

Having said all that, my newly purchased ATI11 (as of Jan. anyway) sits on the shelf un-installed because because of bugs I had with it! I await a new release just like the rest of you! :gack:

19. d.chatten

d.chatten Registered Member

This thread was to remind Acronis that people aren't happy with having to wait this long (seven months now) for updates to ATI 11 considering the amount of bugs it has, even if, for now, there are only a few bug fixes contained in the next release, at least we'll know where we stand.

20. johnstar

johnstar Registered Member

I think when a company sells a duffer they should give a full refund to all and learn that selling something that doesn't work is Wrong!:thumbd:

21. TonyDownUnder

TonyDownUnder Registered Member

Dear Acronis,

I re read this thread and despite what laserfan said there are clearly specified problems. For example, corrupt image files created by your product that cannot be used to restore a system. I do not know how much more specific you need the information to be. There are also a wealth of specific isssues noted elsewhere in other threads. Unlike truthslayer I cannot re code your product so I guess I am at fault and I apologise for my ignorance.

When I bought my car I assumed that I would be able to use it to drive around. When I bought my toaster I assumed that it would toast bread. So far both do the job.

When I bought TI I assumed it would allow me to create images and restore from them because that is the function that you represent that the product has. So far it has not.

If I bought a CD Burner that wouldn't burn a disk I think that even you would concede that I had a valid complaint. If so then I have an imaging product that will not properly image. Equally as valid a complaint don't you think?

I said in an earlier post that I couldn't not believe your unbridled arrogance in failing to respond to concerns and that is still my belief.

Have at look at the anger in this thread and then factor in the user against user aspect and tell me that there are not serious issues to be addressed. Someone suggested that it is "bitch" thread and I guess that to some extent it is. The major gripe though is the inability of your program to work as advertised.

The only post from you is the "normal" we are always working on it response.
    Fine. Why don't you have enough commonsense to at least indicate what bugs you are addressing. Many other vendors do this and it tends to settle things down amongst your users a.k.a paying customers.

How is it that you fix things when you don't seem to ask users for information about hardware setups, other running programs and for error logs or dumps?

I have beta tested software and this seems the norm to me. It is even done after product release on an ongoing basis when errors occur as it tends to get things fixed sooner rather than later.

Mercifully this is the last post from me as I have abandoned your Alpha ware cause I have found an alternative product that creates non corrupt system images that I can use to resotre my system. The best thing was that they had clearly taken on board Truthslayers views and designed it for the ignorant user such as I - cause it just works;)

22. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I'd like to chip in on the "too many" features in posts above, it all depends on how well the features are integrated, if they are just tagged on then they will cause problems, if done properly they will be OK. there are programs out there with lots of features and they run with no problems because they were carefully integrated.

the features I realy like in TI 11 are the options to :-
    set the compression level,
    set the drive write speed.
    set the network drive write speed,
    set the file's exclusion list,
    verify the written image,
    and
    Drive wipe.

I set them in the order above,
    none,
    60%
    60%
    Pagefile.sys
    to verify the image.
    and
    the drive wipe because it clears out all files on the drive / partition and thus lessens any possibility of problems. I do that every time I restore an image.

When I got TI 11 last year I had 2 image corruptions then by doing these settings I not had a problem of any sort. Computers are getting very fast resulting in the possibility of more and more errors.

I also got Disk director 10 to do any "work" on my drives, it is a good program, as IMO is TI 11. I use both on Vista, previously on XP.

23. domg

domg Registered Member

It's always good to hear that some people use TI11 without problems. I only wish that was me too!

24. pluskey

pluskey Registered Member

Time for me to chime in, again, about the severely defective TI11. I too would like a refund, since I didn't get what was advertised. I liked TI9, and loved TI10, and was expecting TI11 to be a big improvement with the new features. I was really disappointed, particularly that these defects have been reported by many people, with no action on the part of Acronis.

First, scheduler defect where backups stop running. Don't waste my time telling me to download your patches. I've done that and they don't fix the problem.

Second, the security issue. For those of you who didn't see my post, all you need to do to bypass the password protection of a backup is to delete the root backup of an incremental set. The next time TI runs (assuming the scheduler lets it run), a new "complete" backup will be creates w/o the password protection. Nice. TI 10 worked correctly, ti11 does not.

Of course, there are the posts that indicate that the password protection is not the encryption listed in the product features i.e., "NEW! Password-based archive encryption". I can't tell myself, but since all I need to do to break security is delete the root backup of the set and wait for a new incremental task to recreate an unencrypted backup, there doesn't seem to be reduction in security, since there isn't any.

Finally, the backup hanging if there is an open file is very annoying. I was assured by Acronis sales, before I purchased, that TI11 has a new setting to ignore error conditions on backup, of which an open file is one. This Simply doesn't work, but it should.

Here's a suggestion - How about Acronis give everyone who has reported problems a free copy of TI12 for every licensed copy of TI11 that they have registered. This assumes, of course, that TI12 will be less defective than TI11.

Having defects in your software isn't the problem in my book, it is refusing to fix them.

25. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

I only use TI 11 for making (and restoring) full backups. Used like this, TI has always worked for me. Scheduled backups have always work for me (with a pre-execution batch file to rename previous backups.) There's nothing more I ask from TI. I have a simple Windows XP system.

I don't use any other features of TI. Not backup locations. Nothing. You could say I don't use 90% of the software's advertised features. But then, I paid almost nothing for it.

These support forums are a great source of help to me. Makes it all worthwhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.