Websites not opening correctly in higher efficiency mode

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Marcos, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

From version 2.12.2, all applications are set to higher compatibility mode by default because some websites did not open correctly with this setting. Nevertheless, if you set your browser to higher efficiency mode (which provides better protection) and have found a website which does not display correctly, please post here the exact url as well as the exact name and version number of your browser and information on your oper. system.

2. msanto

msanto Registered Member

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

What is incorrect when you open this site with "Higher efficiency"?

4. JimF

JimF Registered Member

5. JimF

JimF Registered Member

6. msanto

msanto Registered Member

It doesn't open. Most of the page loads BUT there's something toward the bottom of the page that doesn't get loaded w/ higher efficiency. You can let it sit for a LOONG time and nothing. Turn it off (higher efficiency) OR remove 8080 from the list of ports ... works fine.

That's probably what happens on all these links.

Here's another one:

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  7. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

they all working great for me and the new version
    no problems at all on all the sites posted:D

8. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I've had my own issues with the latest version. However I cant' see any problems with the sites mentioned.

9. mrbrimi

mrbrimi Registered Member

XP Home, SP2, Internet Explorer
    Cannot open any of the above sites using higher efficiency all display properly with higher compatability.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Since we're seeing cases where some systems experience problems visiting a specific website and others aren't, let's try to include as much information as possible regarding both what's wrong while in higher efficiency mode, as well as any information that you think might be relevant to your system's configuration.

Hopefully there's an underlying pattern that will become more obvious with enough posts (OS, patch level, other key security / filtering software, etc.) Who knows. In any case, more data is better than less when reporting these sites, I'd think.

11. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I'll tell you, I tried on two different systems and both experience the same issues w/ Amazon.com. Also, before I tried on one system BEFORE I installed SP2, and it had the same problem. One system is just the OS, nothing else (well, + NOD32).

12. izi

izi Registered Member

13. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I can confirm that the following links that have already been posted do not load correctly with IMON in high efficiency mode, but they work fine in high compatbility mode. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/home/home.html/002-0556252-4147267 http://abcnews.go.com/ http://www.orbitz.com/ Some times I get the page not displayed error with the above Amazon link, or it just stalls.

This link http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx posted by msanto does work in high efficiency mode on my rig.

I am using Windows XP Home SP2 with all the latest updates and IE 6.0.2900.2180 with all updates. I do not use a software firewall, and I don't use Microsoft's firewall either. However, I do use a hardware firewall, and it is a D-Link 604 four port router.

I thought maybe that the integrated popup stopper might be causing the problem, but from my testing with it on and off, it had no effect with the websites displaying properly.

I will try to find websites that do not work properly on my system with high efficiency enabled.

14. mrcrash

mrcrash Registered Member

i use opera browser (7.54) running xppro sp2 ... no problems on any of the sites in higher efficiency or higher compatability.

15. JimF

JimF Registered Member

This is my setup too, except I use a Netgear RP334 router. To troubleshoot, I did the following:
    (1) Stopped all 3rd party applications from starting
    (2) Disabled all 3rd party services from running (except NOD32)
    (3) Finally, I bypassed the router.
    None of these solved the problem.

When closing one of the web sites that don't display properly, I sometimes get an error message:

iexplore.exe – Application Error
    The instruction at “0x77279295” referenced memory at “0x7d4b2e20”. The memory could not be “read”.

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

17. JimF

JimF Registered Member

The error messages only started with the new NOD32, after which I got them about half the time with the problem web sites. It hasn't happened since in several tries after turning off IMON HTTP checking. I conclude it is not a coincidence.

As a side note, if you first visit a problem web site with HTTP checking off, it will of course be stored in the cache. Then, the page sometimes will display, at least partially, when you revisit it with HTTP checking on. So you naturally need to start with a clear cache.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  18. Tatersalad

Tatersalad Registered Member

I have not seen any problems with pages loading yet in higher efficiency mode, including the links listed here, in IE6 or Firefox. However the http compatibility settings revert back to higher compatibility every once in a while. And I have never seen the download progress window on large dowloads even with higher efficiency mode set.

XP Pro SP2
    Zone Alarm 4.5
    TDS3
    Process Guard

19. Pete_x

Pete_x Guest

i guess eset know that there http scanner conflicts with zonealarm ad and cookie control but thought i'll tell you too

i couldnt get into my netgear dg834 router settings (uses frames) when iexplore.exe was on higher efficiency mode and using zonealarm ad/cookie control

another site that has problems with nod32 http scanning is http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp it will do the test but once finished will not display the results (zonealarm ad/cookie control was off)

so if your having problems with some sites turn off ad/cookie control in ZA see if it works

20. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Good point pete...but...but...I don't have ZA.
    However, I had a thought, (based on your ZA experience) and I am going to express it....if we all provided some details in a standard format, maybe the gurus and/or ESET can pinpont the problem. Some people are not having any problems and others with firefox are not having problems.
    NO OFFENSE INTENDED TOWARD ANYONE
    Here goes...lol :D
    Firewall: SP2 firewall
    Browser: IE6 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
    Popup Stopper: SP2
    Router:NAT/SPI (Zywall)
    NOD32: 2.12.2
    IMON Settings:Mozilla/4.0 -->iexplore.exe-->Higher Eff.
    Unable to access
    www.amazon.com, www.abcnews.com, www.orbitz.com
    Sidenote: www.abcnews.com crashes my browser.
    Can access
    support.microsoft.com.newsgroups/default.aspx
    If I change the IMON settings (above) to Higher Compat, I can access ALL the URLS in dispute. The URL www.abcnews.com has lots of popups (blocked by SP2 popup blocker) when accessed under HC.
    That was my suggestion in providing a standard template, however, if anyone thinks that it is worth the effort and can improve on it, please feel free to provide input for change.
    Cheers :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  21. JimF

JimF Registered Member

I don't use ZA, but I wonder if any other ad/cookie software could be the problem?

I normally use SpyBot 1.3, SpywareBlaster and Ad-AwareSE. But I uninstalled SpyBot, and turned off all the protection in SpywareBlaster, but it did not cure the problem. Insofar as I know, Ad-Aware does not run continously, but only removes cookies, so it should not be a problem, but who knows?

22. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Jim, I get the same error, as well as others in the same format, see here for an ongoing issue

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=42450

I have been informed by Eset it is IMON, however at this point in time they are unable to reproduce the problem, they are still looking at it...

There are many people that have come across the same Buffer overrun error messages AFTER installing Nod32. The only consistency that I have come across is multi-tasking, as in when windows is booting up and loading a number of programs at start up. The other is downloading a file and trying to open another program at the same time. Though both cannot be reproduced on demand...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

23. JimF

JimF Registered Member

Thanks, but it only occurred on those few websites for me with the IMON HTTP checking on. Now that HTTP checking is off, the problems have gone away. But I have a single PIII processor, and am careful to space out the startup of programs using Startup Delayer, which is a neat program if you need it:
    http://r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

24. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thaks for the link JimF, I'll take a look.

The point is, you shouldn't have to turn OFF the HTTP scanner, IMON is causing a problem and this is a fault that needs to be fixed...

Cheers :D

25. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

Acrobat Reader will not open PDF's correctly within Internet Explorer when IE set to Higher Efficiency mode on the HTTP page of IMON setup.

When set to higher compatibility mode the PDF files are displayed correctly within IE6.

When higher efficiency mode is set for IE and you click on a link to a PDF file, Acrobat Reader displays its splash screen and loads into memory.
    However the PDF file is not displayed.
    IE hangs for about 5 minutes then Acrobat reader displays an error message box indicating that either the file I/O operation timed out, or the PDF file was corrupt.

If you right click on the link and save the PDF file to disk, then it downloads OK and you can open the file in the standalone Acrobat Reader (outside of IE).

To test this out go here and click on any of the "pdf" links at the bottom of the page.
    This occurs on many other Web Sites that contain PDF file links too.

Browser: IE6
    Acrobat Reader: 6.0.2
    NOD32: 2.12.1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.