Websites not opening correctly in higher efficiency mode

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Marcos, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Can you try the latest build available on the Nod32 website 2.12.2

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

2. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

OK, I'll give it a go.

Do I need to uninstall 2.12.1 and reboot first, or can I just install 2.12.2 over the older version?

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You can, but just to be safe, you should uninstall, reboot, remove the Eset folder, clean the registry and install a FRESH copy. Both methods work, though the 2nd is safer...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

4. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

The problem still exists in 2.12.2.

If IE is set to Higher Efficiency mode in IMON HTTP settings, then the PDF files fail to display within IE.

If IE is set to Higher Compatibility mode then the PDF files display correctly.

:(

5. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

The www.abcnews.com link crashes my browser too in high efficiency mode. The page stalls, and then when I go to close it, my browser crashes with program not responding message.

I have added the www.abcnews.com website in my popup blocker, but the page still does not load right in high efficiency, so I don't think the integrated popup stoper of XP SP2 is causing the problem. I have also tried disabling the popup stopper, and there was no change.

6. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi BigD
    I added that information thinking that I was the only one that is going nuts :D ...lol..I am not alone...j/k :rolleyes:
    This HE vs HC is rather disturbing :( ...we will have to wait and see if a solution is found.
    Cheers :)

7. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I tried that webpage and the PDFs do not load for me either.

However, I let it keep going until I got the attached error. Perhaps this will help the devs. I'm wondering if, since they're trying to d/l the whole thing BEFORE passing it to the App, if the app that are failing just doesn't like it. In other words, this sounds like a good idea, d/l the whole thing first, but do any other AV's do this? It just might not be something IE can support (in all cases), since Firefox users don't seem to have this issue.

Attached Files:

8. docfleetwood

docfleetwood Registered Member

Regarding the pdf problem - I have the same problem but I do note that if I hit 'refresh' once I think the pdf should be done that it displays immediately. It is as if IE doesn't know it is ready yet until you hit refresh. I have never waited long enough for an error message.

doc

9. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I tried the "refresh" above and what I got was a msg:

"The file is damaged and could not be repaired" from Acrobat Reader.

Once again, I hope the devs can figure this out from all our clues.

10. embower

embower Registered Member

In higher efficiency mode,

http://bbs.kingsoft.com/ Forum, The accessories archives of the download become to damage the appearance and can't open :doubt:

11. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I decided to download and use the latest Firefox web browser. I am using Firefox version 0.9.3 with XP SP2.

www.orbitz.com would not load at all in high effiiciency mode. I could not get anything at all to display from the webpage. All it said was that it was transferring data from www.orbitz.com. I left the page sitting there for 5 minutes, and the page was still blank. I added the Orbitz website into the popup blocker of Firefox, and that did not work either. It would only load in high compatability mode.

The Amazon and ABC news link did work in high efficiency mode with Firefox which surprised me because they did not work in high efficiency mode with IE 6.0 on my system.

Anyway, I hope my findings help the developers.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  12. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmmm, that's the first time I've seen a post with a Firefox problem. Personally, I wish we could get an update from the devs. As a programmer, this doesn't sound that hard to replicate, IMHO, so I'm wondering where they are in the "fixing process".

13. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I was curious to see if it was an IE problem, so that's why I tried Firefox plus I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.:)

Can anybody with the latest Firefox browser try the Orbitz link with Firefox set to high efficiency, and see if the page loads on your system?

14. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Just tried it. I get exactly the same problem. Firefox says it is transferring data from www.orbitz.com, and nothing more happens. (2.12.2 and XP SP2)

15. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Strange, I'm using the latest version of Firefox, WinXP SP2, Proxomitron and Firefox set to HE and the Orbitz site is displaying ok.

Kind regards,

PeterVO

16. cjtc

cjtc Registered Member

Hi all,

Another problem with the High Efficiency mode can be seen using the webcams available from my ISP:

https://portal.plus.net/webcams/index.html

When set to High Efficiency mode, Firefox 0.9.3 will open a pop-up window for the webcam image, then IMON displays its small downloading box until it gets to 2MB, then it quits trying (as per IMON standard setting). At this point a static image is displayed in the webcam window. Data is, however, continuing to be downloaded.

Doing the same thing in IE6 (also in High Efficiency mode), it all works just fine (though it does seem to use an ActiveX control somewhere to do it).

Switching Firefox into Compatible mode allows the streaming video from the webcam to display correctly.

Its a shame I can't disable the High Efficiency mode based on a URL!

Any thoughts?
    Chris

17. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer Registered Member

Has anyone tried the Windows Update site yet?

I have WinXP Pro w/SP1 fully patched (I won't use SP2 at this time)
    NOD32 2.12.2
    Look N Stop Firewall v. 2.05 (latest build)
    IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030442-1633 (latest patched IE w/o SP2 applied)
    IMON setting: Mozilla/4.0 IEXPLORER.EXE -->Higher Compatibility
    Unable to access the updates, page seems to load the Custom/Express Install
    URL: http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en
    finally loads an error page

18. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Windows Update site works fine here on XP SP2. IE, fully patched, IMON setting - higher efficiency (FWIW, using Sygate Pro firewall)

19. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

i have no problem with any of these websites 2 seconds an there loaded

system :
    xp home sp2
    nod32 2.12.2
    zap 5.1

20. chuckenheimer

chuckenheimer Registered Member

Howard,

Yesterday while I was experimenting as to why the WU page failed to load properly, I know that I began closing each of the applications that were loaded in memory. I wanted to see which of the programs was creating the stall, if any. Of course, I then became in a hurry but utlimately I closed NOD last and no sooner than I did, then the WU page completed loading.

So, I know this is where the problem lies but I didn't get to finish my testing and had to leave the machine. When I returned I began to remove and add back NOD when I saw a change in the behavior of the pages being loaded, this time it was Hotmail not displaying my mail. Once I had the page displaying correctly, I then reinstalled NOD (I was uninstalling/reinstalling LooknStop as well as SpyBot because these were the only three programs I had installed before I noticed the page loading problems) and think I saw a difference from uninstalling/reinstalling NOD.

At this time, I am prepared to drop back to a backup image that doesn't contain these programs as installed and proceed slowly to see when and where the problem first shows itself.

BTW, I believe I have seen a problem with SP2 serious enough to keep me from applying it to my system. Specifically, it relates to the Add/Remove Windows Components function. The problem becomes evident if you Remove MSN Explorer and then Add it back. The other problem relates to the same A/R WC function but is seen when adding some of the Networking Services component. What happened to me is that the Simple TCP/IP Service (TCPSVCS.EXE) becomes unstable and afterward pegs the CPU utilization about 98%. You may want to experiment but be forewarned because if and once the problem appears, there was no recovery for me.

Thanks for your post!

21. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Heh, I will pass on that one, I have just spent a rather hairy time installing Process Guard which locked my machine very, very hard and pulling the power cable as the only way out.

22. Faith

Faith Registered Member

I had the same problem with the three websites listed www.amazon.com, www.abcnews.com, www.orbitz.com in high efficiency mode. Switched back to higher compatibilty they all worked fine.
    XP home SP2
    Nod32 2.12.2
    Zone Alarm 5.1.011

23. JBravo

JBravo Guest

Winme
    IE6 SP1
    Firefox 0.8
    Outlook 2000 SP3
    ----------
    NOD32 2.12.2
    Kerio PF 2.1.5
    Adshield 3.05

Auto downloaded and installed NOD32 2.12.2 from the website today. No apparent problems.
    One thing that won't work for me with the new version is a free webcounter that I use on my homepage. It's from http://www.digits.com/. The webcounter works perfectly in "high compatibility" mode but in "high efficiency" mode the image from the server (http://counter.digits.com) that shows the number of hits on my page won't come through - otherwise the counter works exactly as it should. This is true for both IE6 SP1 and Firefox 0.8. but when viewed from within Outlook the counter image comes through in both modes. No error messages or other problems. I've tried it with Adblock, Adshield, Kerio PF and HOSTS all turned off.

24. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Hi Folks,

I´m using FireFox version 1.0 PR, and tested some sites, like abcnews, orbitz and I don´t have any kind of problem.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

25. john smith

john smith Registered Member

I just upgraded to the new engine (after realizing that my license had expired on the 11th, and that NOD32 had been futilely trying to update with an expired password for over a week without once complaining to me, except for the "about to expire" message which I had forgotten about).

I tested a bit, and found all the previously mentioned problem pages mentioned failed to load, or loaded incompletely with IE6.0 in the high efficiency setting. All loaded correctly with Firefox.

Some tested sites:

http://abcnews.go.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/
    http://www.orbitz.com/
    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

Operating system information
    Platform: Windows XP Home
    Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 (With all critical updates)
    RAM: 512 MB
    Processor: AMD Athlon Processor (1199 MHz)

NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Base
    Version: 2.12.2

Zone Alarm: 5.1.011.000
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard

John Smith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.