Avira AntiVir 9 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Avira AntiVir 9 was released! Does anyone have any screen shots? How long has it been released? Has anyone used it yet? Is it stable?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

its been out for a couple days now i believe, its very stable and look essentially the exact same as v8, just a few more options in config maybe.

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm happy with V8 so i guess i will stick with V8 for a while. I was hopping to see a few changes with the GUI. I am interested in knowing what config changes were made. I usually give a new version time to have any possible bugs ironed out anyways. Not saying there are any significant bugs. Thanks for the info.

4. firzen771

not bugs ive experienced yet, but i think this is a vital upgrade, MANY improvements under the hood which make v9 much stronger.

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Installed and running with no problems here on Windows XP SP3. Will configure it's settings later :thumb:

6. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

no problems here on 2 vista machines.

7. firzen771

Avira in my experiences has a tendency to make very good final released (hell even betas) that are pretty much bug free, leats for the most part.

8. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

UP and running on my XP netbook all good so far :)

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

The upgrade started automatically on my system and went well without any interruptions (except for rebooting the system).

At first when the program suggested a full system scan, it got stuck at around 20%. Unchecking in Configuration\Scanner\Scan\Additional settings "Integrity checking of system files" and "Follow symbolic links", allowed the scan to complete. Doing further scans, they seemed to complete even with these settings checked.

After uninstalling the MailGuard from setup.exe in the avira installation folder(I don't need it), it also deleted all my previous configuration (particularly the time consuming Exception list of file objects).

The program seems lighter than the previous version even though it offers more features.

I forgot to mention that I'm running Vista Ultimate32, and after changes to the configuration UAC doesn't prompt anymore to apply for changes as in the previous version.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

free version updated also?

11. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Yes.

Avira is simply great.

12. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

Here is what Avira has to say about version 9. Cnet's Download.com also wrote an article, found here. You can also download the free version 9 from there as well. That's where I downloaded mine earlier this morning (as the Avira website was very slow to load – probably getting hit hard from all the eager users :D ) and it is indeed the new version 9. I've installed it and it works like a charm; light and efficient at doing its job. :thumb: .

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Update went smoothly, runs as good as usual with typical Avira precision, I have noticed it to be slightly lighter than the version 8 but its too early to tell.

14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Running smooth as silk with SBIE.

Ice

15. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just installed Version 9. Absolutely Marvelous. No problems encountered...as advertised...runs like silk! Cheers...Securon

16. iwod

iwod Registered Member

1. It does have some small changes to GUI. Mainly the banner logo and some icons.
    2. It is speedier then before.
    3. Anti - Spyware Protection for FREE!!!!!!!!!!
    4. Slightly Less resources - I said slightly because AntiVir is already so light i dont feel any difference at all. Although it is definitely lighter on Process Explorer.

Anything else i miss?

17. Dr33

Dr33 Registered Member

I just bought 3 PC 2 years looks nice but it found 2 FP hope they fix soon :D

Edit: Premium Security Suite

18. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Flawless prompted auto-install with no license hassles.

The only operations I had to do were check/change configuration defaults and set up new profile icons.

System scan, rootkit scan and manual update speeds seemed about the same as previous version.

An impressive application-update experience.

19. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Smooth update, no problems. Runs a bit lighter than v. 8 here.

Ran a system drive scan with system file integrity checking enabled. Ran quickly on 4 cores.

While installing, I enable the option to start Avira as soon as possible, and despite the warning that it may prolong the boot process, I didn't notice any difference.

I haven't noticed the WSCTool starting up every few minutes in this version.

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am running Avira Premium (paid version) but it has not updated to version 9. When I click "Update Now" it tells me that I am fully up to date.

What gives? Can I (should I) update manually? :(

21. boonie

boonie Registered Member

You could download the installer from here:
    http://www.avira.com/en/downloads/download_personaledition_premium.html
    and run it.

It should offer to uninstall the previous version first, reboot, and continue with the install.

22. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

can i do manual update from .zip file with AVIRA 9 ?

23. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

just one question is avira free on par with avg and avast's free version....i mean i hope avira haven't disabled any good feature from their pro version...
    i am currently using avast...

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast free is far more full featured, AVG free uses older engine if I am not mistaken. In terms of detection none come close to Avira and now with anti spyware module added, it makes for an excellent free offering as well.

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Bellgamin,

You need to be in admin account for that update to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.