Avira AntiVir 9 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No they won't. One can receive official notices about upgrading or changes to the engine, via e-mail on request, but you can at any time tell them to stop.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Avira 9 is running fine here, no issues so far, and I don't expect any either.. Very nice. :thumb:

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

After only a single night and day it seems well settled in. The Heuristics is very cool, so much so i have to omit several NIRSOFT utilities from the GUARD! But that's good enough for me.

Quarantine works fine, detections are up to snuff, stability is mind-boggling for a user who is always been furious of AV stalls, or other issues that cost time to correct. Nothing of the such in either 8 or 9 for my part.

A solid HIPS proponant, i don't fear anymore or mind running a resident AV as Avira along with EQS and it even runs with Mamutu added which is a tremendous bonus AFAIK.

Only discrepency if there is one i noticed is the UPDATE slider is showing up a bit too soon at times, but then that might require my making settings adjustments and not a discrepency at all.

I just hope they can fill enough signatures to catch enough malware in their new Anti-Spyware module without fail.

Whats your opinions? I've read plenty of upsides in the majority so far.

EASTER

4. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Does anyone know what "Enhanced Anti-Spyware" means? It's included in AntiVir Premium according to their website.

5. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Just curious. Which ones? Password utilities?

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yes, indeed. I like this Heuristics, its very normal and could lead to an authentic issue, so it's but a simple matter to omit it from the GUARD, a wonderful Read & Write code detector!!!

NIRSOFTS ALERTED ON!
    A User Assist View for one.
    IEVB.EXE
    mpass.exe
    Mozilla Cache View.exe
    FireFox PasswordView.exe

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

My observations were reproduced by an Avira moderator who has submitted them internally for fixing. http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=85283&b028b1fb

(Apparently the complete system scan profile is a predefined one that includes rootkit search and integrity checking.)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  8. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I did have a lot of problems with this yesterdayo_O?I installed it this morning without a hitch!!I deleted Spywareblaster and it works fine:thumb:

9. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Avira Antivir offers a special uninstaller and/or registry cleaner from their homepage somewhere. And this will uninstall all residue of old Avira products.

However: it will not uninstall residue from other security products. Norton and McAfee leaves a lot behind as everyone knows. So does most other products. If you really want to get rid of all remains you need to change your settings so that all hidden files, folders, systems etc. are visible. Then run a search from search companion with advanced settings set to search hidden files and folders. (In XP it's the one with the yellow dog.) Search for all the programs that you remember ever having had. And delete what you find.

Sometimes it's even necessary to change the permissions in order to delete a file or folder from search companions search result list. This is easily done if you searched in safe mode as administrator by right clicking on the file that refuses to delete and then click the permissions option. How stupid that you need to permit yourself to make your own decisions. But some software manufacturers have the arrogance to try to prevent you from doing what you want on your own PC.

I do this routine every time I uninstall security software and I always do it in safe mode. And I'm amazed what I find from Comodo, McAfee, PC Tools and the rest of them. SiteAdvisor really takes the prize. What a mess it made.

Even the small help-programs that online scanners installs can leave a ton of drivers and file fragments behind after an uninstall.

So this regards all sorts of security programs. Not just firewalls, anti-virus programs and anti-spyware programs.

I write this because all this old residue, that often times only emerge when searched for in safe mode via search companions advanced settings, will and does interfere with Avira Antivir.

Residue form all kinds of security programs that users have had over the lifetime of their PCs is probably accountable for a number of the install problems mentioned in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  10. Arup

Arup Guest

Since free Avira now has anti spyware it also won't play well if other anti spyware are installed in your system. So make sure to remove them all before installing Avira.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive used Avira PE Premium with SAS realtime before and never had issues of any sort. o_O

12. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Arup is right. MBAM and SAS in the free versions without realtime protection are among the few exceptions. The rules are: only one firewall. Only one realtime anti-virus program. Only one realtime anti-spyware program. Since Avira Antivir Personal Edition covers 2 out of 3 you only need a firewall. And since the built-in firewalls in Vista and XP Home are quite useless it's recommended that you disable them and install a third party firewall.

13. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Isn't the antispyware the just same engine as the AV, only with different sigs?

If so, there shouldn't be a conflict.

14. rookieman

I'm running Avira Premium with Malwarebytes Pro as we speak,no probs at all.

15. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Often times the lack of conflict is due to the fact that one or both of the anti-spyware programs disable themselves because they detect that an other install is present on the PC. They do that in order to avoid a BSOD. This means that some users in effect are running without any spyware protection at all in spite of having a hefty arsenal installed.

To run a machine with 2 realtime anti-spyware programs installed is plain outright stupid.

16. rookieman

Thanks for the compliment!:thumbd: I ran it with the version 8 as well.

17. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

If the AS engine is the same as the AV, it's no different than running an AV only as far as I know.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

If you visit Avira forums they specifically forbid running a AS along with their premium but if it worked out for you, more power to you.

19. rookieman

Although I did take your advice and shut it off.

20. ePost

ePost Registered Member

You've made the right decision. :)

21. cet

cet Registered Member

I am running Avira personal with SAS Pro.I have no problems,I am not sure if I have to disable realtime guard in SAS,since Avira has spyware protection now.

22. rookieman

Hi cet,isn't there a spyware scanner in ZA Pro as well?

23. cet

cet Registered Member

I got ZAPro from a promotion.I disabled the spyware part of it.

24. rookieman

That's what I did on my son's computer as well.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

running a full scan in a snapshot that was just created so it needs a bad defrag and surfing the net is as fast as anything. Lol:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.