Avira AntiVir 9 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Is the new Imap feature in Mailguard supposed to work with gmail through thunderbird!!!!!!! Cos it blocks thunderbird here ,i have to remove mailguard for email to work

2. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

This is what Avira Free or Premium + Security didn't see or couldn't fix or remove. AVG Free had spotted it but only could send it to the vault thus not removing the entire string. RAV 2009 cleaned it..

Now

linkinfo.dll
    IsDrv118.sys

These two spread like a worms on all HDD in your system. Just letting who can add these to the list of defs need to be aware of it..

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Rising Anti Virus had one of the worse detection rates, lower than most, just preposterous to suggest that Avira which has industry standard detection rate of 99% couldn't detect these two if they are virus at all. Have you sent the samples to Avira?

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

ok, you might want to try the following (assuming it's an avira regkey what's causing your issue, which i very much doubt): PowerTools has a feature called RegistryFinder with which you can search for avira related keys and delete them (use this tool with caution, check what you are deleting and make backup).
    Of course, do this after you have uninstalled the program from windows's add/remove. Registryfinder has worked for me a few times for other apps :thumb: Also, try the avira forum for additional advice.

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Ver. 9 Prem. and the only problem is Mail Guard. I use Outlook Express for E Mail and had to shut off the Advanced Heuristics scan. Sometimes I have to shut off MG completely to get E Mail. There has been a lot of posts on their forum about the same problem. I hope they can get it fixed.

6. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Can someone go to www.gamefaqs.com and click on any system, and report a false positive alarmed by avira premium everything on high, thanks.

7. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

It does on high, but medium is ok.

8. xan K

xan K Registered Member

just did that, and with everything on high I didn't get any warning.

9. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Ah, ok so it's not just me, yeah it has to be on high.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I have the same setup as you (OE, MG enabled and heuristics at default medium level) but I don't have problems with e-mail. Are you running other security program along with avira?

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Oh Arup how I have missed you :p

Anyways Been out for a wile nice to see Avira have a new version out installing across the board right now. Been gone a two months damn how things have changed. :blink:

12. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Is the firewall any better in v9 ?

13. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I don't know what you mean by better.
    With privileged application feature that they introduced in v9 i can finally use p2p and play online games without trouble .This was the drawback that keept me not using the previous suite.
    It's still not so user friendly IMO (when you want to add manual rules but with privileged application feature you'll probably not have to).

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Nice to see you back. :) Things have certainly changed but somethings still remain the same.

15. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I am testing Avira Free on two computers...pretty nice, so far!

Seems light and fast. If it continues to perform well, I may upgrade to the premium version, as I hear it has some additional capabilities such as mail and web protection.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I recently bought a Premium license, it's very nice. Can't beat the protection and features for that price. I think it cost me $26.95 US. That's nothing for such a good product. Well worth it IMO.

17. icr

icr Registered Member

i m still having that promotional license:ninja: that runs till June 09 might be thinking of renewing it :thumb:

18. Pigula

Pigula Registered Member

Is there any possibility to set "safe start" after installation of the program? Thanks in advance.

19. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Go to Start, Run, type cmd, hit enter, a command prompt window will open.
    cd c:\Program Files
    cd Avira
    cd AntiVir Desktop
    avconfig.exe /WIZARD

20. Pigula

Pigula Registered Member

Everything would be OK, but after following your instructions I haven't noticed any changes. What is more, after opening the wizard again, "normal start" is marked. Is that as it should be?

21. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

this is a setting fixed by avira to avoid false positives.
    for scanning with high heuristics you need to choose another scan profil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.