Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Just found this one. I did a search here and it hasn't been mentioned before.

I bit the bullet and downloaded it for a 30 day trial. It seems to be Chinese, but the copy I got is, thankfully, in English.

http://www.powershadow.com/

So far, for 15 minutes anyway, it seems to be running very nicely, and you can switch shadow mode without a reboot. When you leave that mode, you can reboot or shut down. It also reminds you to move any downloads to the non partititioned part of your drive. Another plus, it does the partition for you. And it does seem to be working. I went to a few sites, only for gathering cookies, and it got rid of all of them.

I don't know anything about how secure it is. That's beyond me, but it seems pretty nice, nice GUI and you know it's simple to use if I could figure it out right away.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Developed by Chinese, but was test -run abroad, prior to introducing to their own countrymen. It appears gainning popularity among schools in China. It can be dubbed as DeepFreeze, or ShadowUser Chinese Style. IMO, It warrants a thorough exploring.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I know nothing about them, and yes they are chinese. I just don't get a warm fuzzy, when I can go all over the website, and not a word about who they are. I'll pass.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Another application:eek:
    It's like mushrooms, popping everywhere lol.
    Well, that's the Internet for ya.

Anyway, seems nice, but the way it makes switching shadow mode without a reboot seems risky. Of course, what do i know, but isn't this exactly why Deepfreeze makes it hard to do? The risk of being compromised?

5. Chuck57

To switch Into shadow mode does not require a reboot. Switching Out of shadow mode, you have the choice of either rebooting or you can shut down the computer. Everything goes back to where it was before you went into shadow mode. It also warns you before you switch from shadow mode to move anything you downloaded to another drive or out of the shadow partition.

In shadow mode, you can also open and run your download and test it safe and secure in the partition, check it for viruses, etc, whatever. And then choose to keep it or not. Then move it, or reboot if you don't want it and it's all gone.

I haven't found any info on the company, but I've stumbled across a lot of Chinese sites and none of them say much about who they are. I was leery of trying this thing, but considering all the stuff I've downloaded in the past year, I'm about due for my yearly reformat anyway.

Some day, I vow I'll have a separate computer just to play with new stuff, and for beta software, which I'm afraid to put on this machine.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; According to its own Chinese web site, the newest version 2.8 was released in mid December 2006. And its Chinese version is a freeware for non-commericial uses. This company does obtain a official business registration number from local authority (city of Beijing), therefore ,it is very likely a legitimate business identity. If it offers its own countryfellows free of charge for use, it must,IMO, possess something worthy of show and tell. I would not write it off just yet. :cool:

7. Chuck57

I'm running the trial version and so far, based on a few hours and several reboots just to see if it's doing what it claims. I haven't had a single problem. no freezes, no glitches yet, and it's working as advertised.

So they have a freeware version in Chinese. That doesn't help me. LOL. I wonder if an English freeware version is in the works?

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I think shadow surfer is a great concept. The only thing lacking in my opinion was an easy procedure to set downloaded files (in shadowmode) to the clean section (so they would last when session was rolled back).

Looking at what's described this PowerShadow offers this user friendly work around.

Thanks for the info

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Anyone know how to get a free serial/mailbox number for the Chinese version? I'm not sure what the procedure is. I can't see any place to sign up, except to download a commercial application document. Maybe it just expires to a slightly crippled version. o_O

Translation:

I also see this in the changelog:

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I agree, however a neat workaround to that is install a second HD and drop all your finds on it. Remember though to keep the alternate/second hard drive "disabled" from being Shadow Moded and after a reboot (which i also find annoying), the session is dumped but your D/L files are safely resting and waiting to be transferred to your main screen.

11. Espresso

Doesn't everyone have more than one drive/partition? I mean, really. o_O

12. Espresso

I found the "free" registration info for v2.6:

User: PowerShadow s/n: VVR29E-R4WCK2-K4T111-V1YHTP-4JYJDD

http://www.powershadow.com/cn/product.htm

If you want to use the Chinese version 2.82, just enter a name and email address in the registration box and it will register online. :thumb:

13. Chuck57

Thanks for the find espresso. I'm back to square one. My computer died a few days ago. Motherboard quit, and it was only 6 yrs old. This one is built by a guy in a nearby town. I'm getting a whole new lesson in security from it. The builder gave it to his 2 sons to "test" for a month.

So far I've found 11 viruses of various kinds, 2 trojans, and all sorts of tracking cookies numbering in the hundreds all found by AVG antispyware, including a couple of viruses avg antivirus missed which surprised me.

CCleaner removed 887MB of leftover internet junk when I ran it before the spyware and antivirus, and more than 2G of stuff from all the games I've taken off the thing. It would barely boot when I got it and was so slow doing anything that I almost gave it back to him, but I decided that this would be a challenge - and he knocked a hundred bucks off the price. Well, spent from 4pm until midnight working on it and I still am not through.

Oh, and speaking of the viruses and trojans.....this machine had Trend Micro IS installed, activated, fully updated and running. I ran a scan and it found NOTHING. It was only after I downloaded avg antispyware that stuff began turning up. Trend is gone now and avg av is installed.

Any suggestions on what else I can use to look for stuff? No doubt there's more hidden in here somewhere.

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, chunk57: If you want to start from scratch to build a well protected pc, you may consider the following steps which are resulted from my own experiences, some are very painful at the time. (1) Firewall-with inbound/outbound control, preferably w/ application control as well. (2) solid anti-virus app w/ real time scanner, perhaps adding on-demand only AV.(3) Ati-spyware apps-AVG AS plus-very good for anti trojan, SuperAnitspyware on demand only.(4)CHIP- prevx1 or cyberhawak pro. (5) a reliable back-up app.(6) Most importantly, a sandbox/virturilation app, such as deep freeze standard, shadowuser/shadowsurfer, buffle zone, or Power Shadow(if its test run is favorable). When you surf net, use shadow(frozen) mode, reboot it when task is done. The chance to get infected is close to that of getting hit by lighting. You do not have to spend much so-called cyber downtime to clean your pc. Just think about its countless benefits. Good luck.

15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

If so, I wouldn't take any chances. I would reformat and start all over, using Perman's suggestions as a guide.

regards,

-rich

16. Chuck57

I've reformatted and taking your suggestions, perman. I have the room to do things now with a 127G hard drive ,a 100G secondary hard drive, and lots of RAM. Processor is only a 1.8 Duron but this thing is like lightning compared to my old box.

Sorry to take my thread off topic. I knew something was happening to my old machine but couldn't figure out why it was acting weird. It was dying.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hi & greets Chuck57, Espresso, Perman, and others. I also decided to install the Trial of this one. There is a nice advantage i noticed just like you already mentioned above, which is unlike say ShadowSurfer, you can switch "immediately" at any time straight into a Shadowed session without having to reboot first. That is a feature that Shadowsurfer 2.5 doesn't have.

So far this one, on the surface anyway, appears normally stable. I tried both Bufferzone & especially Sandboxie months ago now and kind of liked them but from what i remember at the time they were relatively new projects and BZ was still in beta. Something to the effect like slowing my surfing down or lagging when clicking explorer windows pushed me to drop them for awhile. Came over to a likable Shadowsurfer so just stayed with that one.

All the best Chuck57 on your new room to run. ;) I got a 200GB back on Thanksgiving and was considering waiting to either find a new computer to install it on with more CPU\RAM or else building it, but since you mentioned it runs like lightning with just a 1.8 i might reconsider those options now. Can't hurt to test it out anyway, right? I also have a AMD Duron myself that weighs in at a trim 1.5 :D Fast enough for satisfaction so far. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  18. Chuck57

I like this Power Shadow a lot. So far, I haven't found any drawbacks. I downloaded some stuff just to see if it worked, and added some sites to my browser and rebooted. Everything vanished as it was supposed to, and in a full day of running, it's very stable on this PC. Also, it doesn't seem to slow me down at all.

I'm not going hunting viruses, trojans, or other malware to see what happens, and I haven't found any Powershadow tests to see if it's as secure as they claim.

I'm very happy with this new box NOW. Sure wasn't when I got it. I had heard that the Durons performed faster than the Intel chips of equal and higher numbers. You couldn't have proved it by me at first. No doubt having more RAM helps too, but it had 512 until today and was still very fast compared to my old Athlon. I had a stick of the right RAM and installed it to boost me to 1 Gig. I'd have been content with the 512 though. Considering that over half of what I do with this thing is surf and word processing type stuff, it's probably overkill to have a box like this, but I'm not complaining.

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No, but i just did :D

I totally installed a pretty nasty Zlob Varient that drops a Folder in Program Files named Video Active X Objects which introduces some fidgety bugs that can't stand to be in one place long. :D
    Had to allow it permission to pass System Safety Monitor & CyberHawk, and then it started it's actions.

Saved the folder to an alternate disk then rebooted and Vallah!! NO trace of that 'bug' session. I gonna put it thru some more antics but like what it offers so far. LoL

20. Chuck57

That shows promise, Easter.2010. You're braver than me. I kind of figured it would work. Somebody said PowerShadow is being used in schools in China. I guess kids are kids wherever they are. I doubt they'd be using it if it wasn't a reliable program.

Keep us updated on your testing. If it keeps things out, I think it'll be a keeper. This is a new computer, freshly formatted, etc, and I'd as soon not go on another downloading binge of security software - at least for a while.

That serial number espresso posted is valid, by the way.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Will do. And i agree, early on it's beginning to look like one to keep home.

So busy today just trying to get a single download of the new Comodo release i had to postpone testing PS like i'm used to doing any Safety product. LoL
    Comodo Servers must be red hot today cause they kept resetting the D\L and kept me on my toes all afternoon starting over again. Currently on dial up networking so have to bite the bullit as far as speed goes. Gonna get my hi-speed wireless back again come Spring season.

All that's left for Power Shadow so far as i can see right now is to add that exiting Shadow Mode without a reboot. Now that would be the capper for me. This one is remarkably lighter than even Shadowsurfer that i been using. It's nifty how they added that "Wave Motion" thingy ma bob! :cool:

22. Chuck57

I read somewhere, on the site or in the frequently asked question thing that comes with it, that they are looking into getting rid of the reboot. It's a small thing here.

I start the computer in the morning and get my antivirus and antispyware updates. Then, I do what work I need to do in Word for a few hours. Then, the computer goes into shadow mode and stays there until I turn it off for the night. If I find something I absolutely think I can't live with without, I'll move it to CD.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi memebers! few Qs.

The site shows three versions, one chineese and two english. Which one u are using? As far as I see, only chinese version is free on website. Am I true?

Waht is the size of download?

Hi Espresso!

From where u got the free english version info and the serial no. plus key.
    Is it Ok/ legal/ ethical to post the serial no and key here on a forum?

Thanks for the replies.

24. Espresso

They posted the name/serial on their website so I must assume it's alrite.

http://www.powershadow.com/cn/product.htm

I've translated version 2.82 into english if anyone's interested. There are still a bunch of string resources in chinese but most are vestigial. I can't find any more chinese text in regular usage except for tooltips and some registration dialog. I've numbered the unknowns so if any pop up you'll know their location.

25. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.