Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: As per their web site (chinese), they do have another product, called PowerShadow Master, compared to Ghost, is also free of charge for Chinese Domestic users. Key is provided, 100% legal. Have you had any chance looking at it yet? :)

2. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

not to nit pick, but it's quite interesting to note considering this High Maintenance Group, nobody is lamenting the lack of support for this app, or any level of forum participation. have you all gone soft or is this app that good??

Mike

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Ask Easter.2010. He's run various malware tests on it and says it's that good.

I've downloaded a number of programs, none malware, and run them in Powershadow. On reboot, every single trace of those programs disappeared.

I start my computer, pick up my antivirus update, and go into Powershadow. The computer stays in Powershadow for the rest of the day. When I shut down,every trace of my day is gone except those things I want to save, which go to another, unshadowed, hard drive. I don't visit the dark side of the web, but just feel better knowing that wherever I go, if I accidentally pick up something, it's only temporary. It can wreak all the havoc it wants in the virtual environment. I can just laugh, reboot, and it's gone.

I'm not part of the High Maintenance Group. I want a good effective program that will protect me, along with my antivirus to check my downloads.

Powershadow has replaced everything but a firewall and antivirus on my computer, and I'm finally content. If the computer gets infected, reboot and the problem is gone. I have Sandboxie here as well, but haven't used it in a while.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It really seems nice.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Power Shadow DOES provide a decent SUPPORT(including a suggestion box), but has yet to establish a FORUM, which is not uncommon for new comer. This is ,of course ,in Chinese only, sorry.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

i tried emailing their support with the link for support provided in powershadow and it was unable to be delivered or there was no such email addy. I still have connection concerns especially its ability to disable a firewall for a short time and its ability to send info while this is down . I tried to emailed them to ask about this. I uninstalled it as a precaution . Its kind of rough that we are asked to pay $39 while its free to billions in China. However its certainly a nice app and well translated for english users. Just a pity their support isnt there especially if one was to pay for this.

7. Chuck57

It's free. Here's the serial as posted on their website.

User: PowerShadow s/n: VVR29E-R4WCK2-K4T111-V1YHTP-4JYJDD

It worked with my copy and with others who have it here. From all I can tell, not being able to read Chinese, they're a legitimate company and have other versions of Powershadow offered as well as other types of software.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

That's correct so far. In today's local research i opened/activated 2 rootkits/hiders simultaneously and verified they were indeed operational but stealthed by employing the assistance of a couple of the latest RKDetectors as well as some cmd-line revealers just to ensure this.

There was a point when some pretty tough malware had nearly stalled explorer entirely but if needs be a manual reset performs the same as switching out of PowerShadow Mode on the program itself and upon start-up afterwards everything returns to as it was before.

I have no reservations yet with it's ability to completely erase a shadowed session leaving no trace behind after a reboot/restart. If someone else discovers otherwise it would behoove them to bring that to our attention right here if they would, but so far so good with the returns i'm enjoying. LoL

Thanks

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Can't fault it here either except for testing apps that require a reboot.

This machine P4, 3ghz, 1 gig ddr.

Installed Powershadow on an old P3, 500mhz, 192 meg ram running XP pro and even though it's a slow machine compared to my main,running Powershadow showed no noticeable slowdowns.

Also with the latest 2.82 no serial is required,just enter a first name and email address and it's registered.

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

You find any added benefits with the 2.82 as compared to 2.6 version? Since 2.6 is performing "MUCH BETTER" and beyond that what ShadowSurfer/User ever could provide, unless theres some marked advantage i personally don't see any critical need to go up the ladder with this version. :)

Comments, opinions?

Thanks

11. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Did a test in full shadow mode with a few RKs'. Rustock B and Haxdor. Of course we know there many variants but any how ran each RK and verified install with RKU., rebooted and retested and the drivers and files were removed like it never happened. I dont know how this program works but it works. I like this program enabling shadow mode is so fast and easy. This technology scares me a bit, in a way that if something like this can be made for good imagine if they used this technology for bad and I'm sure the bad guys are. :blink:

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Indeed yankinNcrankin, and you run identical runs as i have with those and with equal results i'm pleased to report. :)

I must admit they have done a remarkable job with fashioning this program in the safe way it operates. It does wonders for confidence, especially since i can sit comfortably at one PC and run these tests without anxiety & without having to turn to another box to run them on. That alone saves a lot of time plus frustration.

You summed that up quite nicely yankinNcrankin, in stating "enabling shadow mode is so fast and easy" and unlike ShadowSurfer/User, without having to resort to another reboot in order to enter it.

13. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It is an amazing piece of software. Can an image be reflected out during this time when the firewall is out/down.

14. Franklin

It seems to perform the same.Nicer gui with a coupla more options.

15. Chuck57

What I like about it is, over and above the security it provides, starting off with a clean, newly formatted computer, having the computer stay clean and newly formatted except for the software I want on it.

No more bits and pieces of odd programs to clutter up the registry, since I don't think any registry cleaner ever gets it all. With Powershadow, you can look at a program, run it, play with it, and decide whether to keep it. If you don't like it, it's all gone - ALL of it. Nothing left behind.

I think my yearly reformatting adventure will no longer be necessary.

You're right Easter.2010. Unless the newer versions really offer something exceptional, I see no reason to upgrade. This version 2.6, even over a year old, is still a step or two ahead of the competition.

16. ktango

ktango Registered Member

1. One of added benefits with the 2.82 as compared to 2.6 version is multi-harddisk protection in Full Shadow Mode.
    2. PowerShadow 2.82 compatible with Windows 2003.

17. Chuck57

Thanks, ktango. Being able to shadow all hard disks is a plus, and compatability with 2003 opens up even more doors to new users.

I still can't believe they offer this software for free. I wonder now if there isn't a pay PowerShadow that isn't available to those of us outside China that is way ahead of this free version. If there is, it must be incredible.

18. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

Is anyone using Powershadow in a FDISR snapshot?
    I have tried this, but on coming out of shadow mode FDISR will not load.
    I don't remember having this problem with ShadowUser.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Even ShadowUser can,t be used straight with FDISR, U have to exclude some folder etc from SU to use it with FDISR( there is a thread here, and u can,t use SS with FDISr as no exclusion options).
    Now I don,t see any exclusion option in PowerShadow, so that might be the reason for the problem or something else may be1

20. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

This software does sound interesting. I understand that you dont have to rebot to get into shadow mode. How long does it take to go i to shadow mode?
    If I understand this threads description of this software it sounds alot like the FDISR Freeze mode. The only reason I dont use the freeze option anymore is that it takes so long to load, so it would be nice if one could get into shadow mode quickly.

Do you mean that you dont see the FDISR boot screen before windows loads? What happens if you disable preboot in FDISR?

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

IMMEDIATELY!! :D

That is a HUGE bonus compared to what i been used to.

Now on the closing session reboot; one might be tempted to think that there could be a marked delay in PowerShadow dumping the previous "shadowed" session right? Well, nothing out of the ordinary here. The only delay i notice on shutdown is from where i now set Xp Pro to dump the PageFile and even that is tolerable.

Like others i always had a continued issue with ShadowSurfer hanging up upon reset/shutdown so it made it that you had to manually press the reset/off button to get the darn thing to reboot right?

Not anymore with PowerShadow :thumb:

22. Chuck57

What I like about PowerShadow is that I don't need anything else. I used to have my old computer so loaded with security 'stuff' that it was ridiculous.

Now, I have PowerShadow, an antivirus program, and a hardware firewall along with a firewall to cover outbound - and I'm not sure I need that any more.

I'm confident that right now, PS is all the protection I need.

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I feel the excitement generated towards this product is not just because it's another excellent Freebie Find, but because it can move into shadow mode without rebooting. And rightfully so!:thumb: And if it it could leave shadow mode without rebooting, that'd be the cat's meow wouldn't it.

There's only one program i know of that can move 'In' and 'Out' of full disk Virtualization without rebooting and you might be surprised but that's Bufferzone Home. I still feel it needs some tweaking and i've only testing it by moving/copying/deleting files and folders but it works and again with no reboots!:D

24. Franklin

Well I have always been a Sandboxie fanboy yet this PowerShadow is so damn good and simple that I want to get deliberately infected with anything.

Bye Bye blacklist scanners, nod 32 and kas included!

The only app I would run is Superantispyware as on demand which won't find a thing after a reboot but SAS has character!

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried it multiple times and it never worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.