Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

Just out of curiosity I just started PowerShadow, then I checked my partitions with Partition Magic.
    There were no new partitions.
    I'm of the impression PowerShadow may create a virtual partition in the form of a file.
    I don't see where that would be much of a big deal because Windows uses a swapfile all the time, and Linux uses a partition for its swap file all the time.
    I have never heard of any problems with either of them.
    I don't see where PowerShadow's virtual partition would be any different, or cause any extra disk wear.

As far as PowerShadow getting hit with a virus, It had to happen when PowerShadow wasn't loaded ... otherwise it would surely be gone after rebooting.

Good reason to make regular system partition backups.

My-2-cents
    Doug

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

My oldest PC which is now 4 years old and in the hands of friends was defragged very frequently keeping the files on the edge of the disk. The disk was never more than 20% full, so only one area of the disk was really being used. Still running just fine.

Actually I would suspect if anything the disk mean suffer less wear as the head arms don't have to move as much. Since the heads are floating above the disk and not actually making physical contact, unlike in a tape system, I have a hard time swallowing this.

Pete

PS. If someone wants to post challenging this, I challenge you to have supporting evidence.

3. namdog

namdog Registered Member

The website you mentioned is an anonymous forum (also a notorious dogfight forum ) with very very little credibility.

My suggesion is ----- DO NOT cite it officially in Wilders forums.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, there: Has the web site in question been ever censored/flagged by Site Advisor or its like ? Anyone knows? Innocent until it is proven otherwise, fair? pal.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I agree.Or as a matter of fact i am tired of all this FUD.This theory is the exact opposite of the "p2p destruction theory",according to which,a hard disc used for p2p,will have a much shorter life span,because it is used frequently and with high fragmentation,causing the header to move erratically up and down and having to defrag more often.

I mean,please,they should make up their minds.Do the hard discs die sooner when being defragged and the header isn't moving much or when the disc is highly fragmented,causing the header to move up and down all the time? o_O

Personally i beleive the impact in life span is negligible in both cases.

6. TheMooN

TheMooN Registered Member

Hi gents ~

Is Power shadow 2.8 or later still availible for free evaluation ? I dl'd 2.6 then realised it doesn't support running SATA drives !

I am torn between PS and Sandboxie anyway ~ Would you recomend one over the other for the novice user ?

Thanks

R

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I ran PS 2.6 for months and it suddenly quit loading and told me my evaluation period had expired or something. This, I think is because it called home and I neglected to block it. I don't know.

Anyway, I have Returnil installed now, free, and it's been running nicely for a month or more. I also have Sandboxie but seldom use it.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi TheMooN,

I don't think you can get PS for free anymore. Sandboxie is very easy to use and many of us use it daily. I recommend reading their FAQs thoroughly. Definitely give Sandboxie a try and set it up to use your internet facing programs such as your browsers, media players, Instant messaging, etc.

Returnil is a free alternative to PS, but it only virtualizes your system drive. I'm not sure it works with SATA drives. I think they are working on it. I occasionally use Returnil and Sandboxie together for extra protection.

9. TheMooN

Thank you for the advise guy's ~ Looks like Sandboxie it is !

I presume that Beta 2.9 will be SATA friendly ? Not very encouraging that a company looking for new customers withdraws evaluation from the many SATA drivers out in the World at Large :thumbd:

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

PS 2.6 should still work. PS 2.82 requires online activation which is no longer possible.

I don't believe PS 2.6 has official support for SATA but I used it for a week with no ill effects. YMMV but I would recommend Returnil.

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've been using version 2.6 on a sata drive for a while now with no problems.

12. TheMooN

Thanks for the info gents ~ I shall probably give 2.6 a spin along with sandboxie ~ shame PS 2.6 is 30 days only now :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.