Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Unwarranted comments and apologies.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  2. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I finally had some time to uninstall ShadowSurfer and install PowerShadow,but i encountered a Registration problem.
    I tried to copy-paste the string

User: PowerShadow s/n: VVR29E-R4WCK2-K4T111-V1YHTP-4JYJDD

as given by Chuck57 and seen in their website, but i didnt succeed: everytime it returns a
    'name or registration code incorrect'
    verdict.

I tried to paste starting fom 'User' ,from 'PowerShadow',and obviously the first three times i tried with the sheer code from 'VVR...', i also changed my name, just in case,to no avail-
    it simply wont accept my registration.

I then went online to register, downloaded the chinese characters from the XP CD, but found no solution......apart from paying with paypal,of course.

Perhaps i'll have to reinstall?something went awry during install,or the code doesnt work anymore?
    The program works just fine,apart from the additional startup question about giving ok to XP,i even have a feeling the startup total time is somehow 20% to 40% shorter with PowerShadow.

If my current troubles do persist perhaps i can download the newer version with Espresso's translation, as i understood it only requires name and email?
    Thanks to anyone's help as i'd hate either to say goodbye to this fine piece in 29 days time or pay.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

ok, you´ve got my attention now :)
    still waiting for the final verdict: does firstdefense play well with power shadow? or does it take control over mbr?

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I have Sandboxie and do use it occasionally, but mostly the little yellow kite just sits there on my toolbar. It and Bufferzone are both excellent products. I also have BZ on my other drive, along with nearly a dozen other security type programs, maybe more. I doubt any of them will ever be used until that black day when the bad guys figure out a way to beat virtualization.

Powershadow 2.6 is over a year old, and still at least a step or two ahead of any other similar program I've found.

As for other security software, I'll keep my antivirus, although I'm not sure I need it any more, and my outbound firewall though I don't know if I even need that. I'm back to running my computer the way I did 10 yrs ago, and it's nice.

5. Chuck57

VVR29E-R4WCK2-K4T111-V1YHTP-4JYJDD

That's the right serial as copied and pasted from espresso's post back on the first page. I wonder if they haven't changed it, or if they change it monthly.

I haven't been able to find it again, but did locate the above serial number on one of their forums. It's all in Chinese so I couldn't read any of it, but did find the above number there too, after espresso posted it. If espresso knows where it is, I'll bet the latest serial number is posted. I'll go looking again, since today is a do-nothing day here. 22 below zero fahrenheit outside, so sure won't be doing much else.

6. ktango

ktango Registered Member

Power shadow does not change MBR.

7. poirot

poirot Registered Member

thanks,chuck57. the string appears to be exactly the same as the one i used, but you didnt tell me if i've got to paste into the Registration space the entire thing as it is written or just the numerical,orthodox-code part.....

As to the wheather...22 below zero in NewMexico?!!!
    Is it a common occurrence or is it a sort of negative record?

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Unwarranted comments and apologies.

9. Chuck57

I copied and pasted just the registration number into the registration box and it worked for me. If you haven't done that, try it and see what happens.

22 below zero is not unusual where we live in New Mexico, in the high mountains near the Colorado border. We're at about 8000 feet elevation. We have nearly 3 feet of snow on the ground now, and more expected in a few days. This is a normal winter up here.

10. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Franklin,
    while i have to thank you that you , in such a 'polite' manner, advised me about what to do, at the same time -lacking any moderators intervention-i have to bring your attention towards a few facts:

1-it's not that obvious how to proceed with registration (at least to justify such a reply),but even if it was ,who on earth gives you the right
    to use such a language ,considering our roads never crossed before?
    Or did we meet in a forum at any time?
    In this latter instance your value as a person must be near zero,as i completely forgot about you.

2-You say i am 'a 'drama queen'.....

I made myself a Test at

http://www.queendom.com/tests/minitests/fx/drama_queen.html

and found out i am not.

I maintain i did not make a 'drama' out of the fact i cannot temporarily Register with PowerShadow....,or,at least,this
    is what i think, we can leave the judgement to other members here.

The term 'queen' appears in english to have other derogatory meanings,though,but -given this might need some culture whereas you appear to be an inadequate resident of the Bush with the manners
    of a stupid troglodyte i really doubt you implied that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  11. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

So how would you go about keeping things added to a browser, like favorites or extensions etc.? Would you have to manually take them out of areas in the shadowed partition and move them to the main partition? I add stuff just about everytime I am online, and constantly doing that would become kind of tedious!

Anyone else find anything out about the phoning home?

12. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

i using version 2.6..... still required reboot to enable shadow mode.

2.8 does not require rebooto_O

13. Chuck57

2.6 doesn't need a reboot to start shadow mode. It needs a reboot to disable shadow mode.

Most of us have version 2.6. All we do is open it, click Start, the screen goes wavey for couple of seconds and we're in shadow mode.

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

That is very incorrect sir. As Chuck57 mentions above, the only reboot needed is when you "EXIT" (Restart) Power Shadow Mode

This program is more advanced in that it allows you to "ENTER" shadow mode " WITHOUT" any reboot but simply engaging that mode by manually pressing a button to "Enable" Shadow Mode.

Simple as that.

15. Chuck57

I wonder if bryanjoe isn't running Shadowsurfer, a good program but wouldn't work for me for reasons already mentioned here or in some other thread.

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'll be darn Chuck57, i do believe you got that right because it just dawned on me that ShadowSurfer last version is indeed 2.6

My bad if i seemed to forcibly contradict his post in the above but that being said now, it makes perfect sense. 2.6 SS

Thanks

17. Chuck57

I don't know what version Shadowsurfer is at. The free one I tried and gave up on was, I think, 2.5. The names are close enough that anybody could make that mistake. Not sure about the 2.8 he mentioned. Is Shadowsurfer up to 2.8 now?

18. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

wow this program is getting lots of attention here. to people that have powershadow installed on a test box, i have 2 questions :

1) is this program really free :D

2) will it protect the MBR vs viruses like killdisk? and has anyone tested it to confirm?

19. Chuck57

It's free. The serial number is available in this thread a couple of times and also on their website. They also have a slightly newer version that's also free. The version 2.6 though is free and the serial number here perfectly legal.

As for the other, I've downloaded many, many programs in the past few weeks. No malware that I know of, but who can say. When I boot out of shadow mode, every single trace is gone.

Easter.2010 is our malware expert and he's said that he's found nothing that has gotten through shadow mode. He's also using it. If it wasn't good, I don't think he'd have it on his computer.

I've cut way back on all the various programs I used to run. All I have now is a hardware firewall, outbound firewall, antivirus, and a software firewall. I'm not sure I need the antivirus or outbound firewall any longer. If anything gets onto my pc, I can reboot and it's gone.

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: From what I learned so far, power shadow is indeed an excellent app. To clearify the question of a freeware or not, I revisted its web site( I can read Chinese) and this is my findings:On its English site, it clearly states it is a 30 days trial app, to register as a paidware, please fork over US$39.00 or EUR 32.25 (listed on may 11,2005) for version 2.6.0511. On its Chinese site, very interesting, there is a user name and key code published, and it claims it is free for v.2.6 and 2.8, the only and perhaps a major difference of registration methods between these two versions is that user name and key code are required for v.2.6, whereas online activation is needed (submitting your email address and name) for v.2.8. As I understand it is a totally freeware, no restriction whatsoever, for vast Chinese domestic users. If you can get it free here with members' tireless efforts, use it , why not. A new found benefit being a member of this remarkable forum.:)

21. Chuck57

Thanks Perman. I was half right on it being free for everyone. Still, I entered the registration number and it accepted it, and that number came from their site, so I'll accept it as being okay. If they don't want the world using it, don't publish the serial number.

22. sukarof

Thanks for the info.
    With that in mind I installed the 2.6 version. Install was flawless. C&P the user name and password (provided in this thread) and it registered without problems. No problems between Firstdefense and Powershadow detected yet. :thumb:

From FAQ:
    Interesting.

23. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I did something crazy and ran a SH*T load of live active trojans and viruses files in shadow mode just for the hell of it. Total count I believe I clicked and ran over 75+ files claiming to be live anyways I did all of this while on-line and surfing the net. Tcp view showed alot of services trying to access the internet.Lucky me my system never froze or BSOD I was able to quit shadow mode and reboot. Restarted no problems Tiny Watcher scanned upon system start and found no changes, ran Kaspersky, Avast, and Avira, found nothing. I'm
    enjoying this program alot! :D

24. sukarof

Thats cool. I am enjoying tis little app more and more too. Once when getting out of shadow mode is as simple as getting in to it, this is gonna be a kickass software. Even though I am a nerd regarding software like this, I think that PS will be easy enough for average joe.
    And for those of you who still care about memory usage: 6.1Mb with two processes running. No noticeable impact what so ever on system performance.
    No conflicts with:
    Prevx1
    Comodo Firewall (2.4.5.111beta)
    FDISR
    DrWeb AV
    Windowsblinds
    Raxco Perfectdisc 8, to mention a few of my running processes.

25. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi, nice program. Looking into how it is achieved.
    Had an error twice after selecting shadow - small box saying 'no explorer window', then nothing in the corners.
    Any bugs? Can anyone read the home site to see if any issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.