Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

For now,i let it be.We will see in the next months,agree.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

There is no Web Shield.

AAA) Web Protection (former name WebGuard) =
    BBB) Avira Browser Safety =
    CCC) Avira Protection Cloud (APC) =

------------------------

3. anon

anon Registered Member

You don't have to guess, just read the announcement.
    I repeat: There is not any reference to the "Web Protection" in Avira's announcement.

--------------------
    Correct.

--------------------
    It's self explanatory => No Web Protection for free users.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Web protection is not turned on when you install. I went into remove/change and checked it. This confused me as a few weeks ago it was turned on in an earlier version. In the latest version no toolbar and no automatic use of webguard. Why isn't it turned on?

5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. Witttr

Witttr CEO Avira

Hi all,

Toolbar:
    Just to clarify, we have stopped shipping the ask toolbar in our products, however some download portals are still delivering an old version. We are working hard at making sure, the portals no longer host the older versions of our products. To get a toolbar free version, please use the download available on our web-site. BTW: we switched most of our traffic to a CDN, so the speed should be quite good.

APC (Avira Protection Cloud):
    As mentioned earlier, the feature is now included all new builds, however we are slowly activating our free users. The APC function uploads unknown binary files, we want to make sure our backends are scalable enough to handle all of our free users, without downgrading performance for our premium customers. We have a lot of free users around the globe and we are seeing quite a few unknown binary uploads occurring.

While the full Webgaurd feature is only available in our paid products, we currently offer for our free customers the product: Avira Browser Safety (Chrome now, Firefox in beta, IE next quarter). The browser extension provides both Avira URL cloud, for ensuring the URL's you are visiting are not malicious and DoNotTrack, a feature preventing trackers from collecting information about you.

Hope this clarifies some of the questions,

Travis

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Forget about Avira Browser Safety.

The question is simple:
    Avira Free will have Web Protection (WebGuard) yes or no?

8. Witttr

Witttr CEO Avira

Webgaurd is currently only available for our premium users (Antivirus Suite, Internet Security Suite). What are the specific functionalities you are interested in having?

9. anon

anon Registered Member

The question is simple:
    The new Avira Free (Without ask crapware) will have Web Protection (WebGuard) yes or no?

I'm using Avira paid (Premiun/Suite now) for 7+ years.

All that I want it's a clear answer re Avira Free & Web Protection module.

------------------------------
    Few days ago (Feb 26), Avira Antivirus Suite reinstalled.
    The ask crapware was there..... (official installer* for build 14.0.3.340).

* =

10. Witttr

Witttr CEO Avira

My apologies for not being clear. No, the full Webgaurd functionality, as available in our premium products, is not being delivered in free.

I'll follow-up on the AV Suite including an optional install of the Ask Toolbar tomorrow with the team. It should also be removed.

11. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

So the free version loses webguard (I turned it on using change/remove) but gets safesearch/url filter?

If so, this is a backward step for free users? In the past there wasn't a webguard, then there was, now there isn't.

My dear fellows, what happened to 'Vorsprung durch Technik'?

12. anon

anon Registered Member

Thank you for clarifying. :thumb:

13. Witttr

Witttr CEO Avira

The blockage of malicious web-sites (phishing, malware, etc..), we have enabled that functionality (which was what we were delivering before in combination with the Ask toolbar) in a browser extension: Avira Browser Safety (ABS). ABS has better performance then the Webgaurd implementation.

What specific functionality are you desiring in free, which ABS does not cover?

14. anon

anon Registered Member

With a price: In order to get the WebGuard you had to install the ask crapware.......

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira Web Protection protects you against dangerous web content, if categorized as phishing, malware, spam or fraud.
    -------------------
    Webguard is a transparent system proxy for HTTP. It doesn’t filter secured connections (HTTPS). Every page which is downloaded by the computer (browser or any other service) is first compared against a local blacklist and if it proves to be malicious (hosts malware or phishing) gets blocked. If the page passes this level, it is saved in a temporary folder and scanned by the scanning engine for malicious content.

---------------------
    ABS covers nothing, IMHO.

16. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Why not have the webguard feature in free version if the user is willing to install the toolbar ?

17. dietlmann

dietlmann Registered Member

Whats about drive-by infection, websites hacked with malicious iframes, does Avira Free protects users against this like Avira Premium with webguard do?

18. Witttr

Witttr CEO Avira

The marketing text is not doing justice to ABS (good point - we need to fix).

ABS includes a security check to our new Avira URL cloud: a URL database hosted in our network, containing the most current information we have (currently we receive around 600.000 new malicious URL's per day). Webgaurd always checked a local database, which depending on your update frequency, usually was out of date.

ABS will do a real-time check and covers the same categories, with one exception: it only checks web traffic in the browser where it is enabled. Webgaurd, as a proxy, was not limited to a specific browser type. As a proxy it is a bit slower and currently does not have the Url cloud feature in it; meaning not as effective.

So, in conclusion: if you want URL protection for free use ABS in the browser you surf with. It leverages the most current and up to date databases we have.

19. jack76

jack76 Registered Member

With and without Avira browser Safety:

nimet?n.png
    nimet?n1.png

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I guess it is "powered by ASK" :doubt: I saw that same link when i went to ask.com and searched for "intel haswell"

21. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

I like the way Avira is moving :)

Btw, can Avira be set "auto-delete/block" when malware is found? Real time settings don't have such option...

22. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Are you using ABS ? I cannot see color codes in your search results and also its powered by search.avira.com. ABS by default does a google search.

23. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Thanks! Great news!
    Still only available for Chrome?
    And are all these new features (ABS and APC) available in localized versions as well?
    Downloaded the free french installer yesterday, and product version is 14.0.2.286, even after update.

Best regards,
    François

24. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Refreshing for the Avira CEO...addressing Forum and Product concerns. Now!... Is the slow boot up time being addressed with Windows Firewall. My own feeling is I wish Avira had left their Old Firewall and made it available in the Current 2014 Product Line. Especially the Avira I.S.2014 ...the customer deserves quality components...not watered down solutions. Once again Travis many thanks for your timely visit. Sincerely...Securon

25. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

On some pages it doesn't block all ads. Why is that?

Can it be set to block all ads universally instead of on a page-by-page basis?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.