SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kyle_Katarn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. guest

guest Guest

I use also Secunia PSI (2.x, once a week or if I am bored ;)), then Filehippo approx. 3-4 times a day and every other day or so SUMo (zip-version updated, no RK). -> Update-Junkie. :D

Yes, I saw this post before, but I only can repeat: download the adware-free version (if you intend to use SUMo) or don't accept the terms of RK-installer. Then you are on the safe site. ;)

I think keeping programs up-to-date is important for security. So I decided to trust Secunia, Filehippo and KC (even if I don't know what they do with all the data) and so far I got not infected (if not trying a dubious kg or something like that! :D ) even when scanning for malware for years. ;)

I am taking all the time for this because I want to share my positive experiences so that maybe others are making their systems also safer by updating at least critical applications.

In the past I had Website-Watcher (very good program!) checking for updates. ;) - But I prefer those mentioned programs doing it which is of course much easier for me and less time consuming. ;)

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thank you ! Nice conclusion to this endless debate :)

3. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Here you are : http://www.shareit.com/product.html?productid=300502289
    (approx 10€. Select more than 1 copy if you want to give more)

thanks !!!

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

That's what i call an update addict ! (that's what i am too....)

5. guest

guest Guest

No, thank YOU for making it possible -> both, your very useful program and of course giving me (and other readers) now the opportunity for my small (2x) donation! :cool:

As I said .. merry Christmas! :)

p.s.: suggestion ... make a not invisible ;) link from within Sumo itself or at least Sumo homepage to this or any other DONATION link and see how many people will thank you in future by choice for your work and this way. Let's hope many. :D

6. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

7. java dude

java dude Registered Member

Kyle, I'm curious: can you share what you typically earn per month from RK? The reason I ask is that it seems like a lot of people would be willing to donate to such an amazing software (myself included). Is it feasible to dump the RK junk completely and turn "Lite" into just regular "SuMo"? It would end this debate once and for all. Just a suggestion! :)

8. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

It fluctuates a lot and depends on both number of install and country of users.
    A rough order of magnitude is N x $100.
    Let's try donation and we'll see how much this can generate.

9. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 3.4.16 (Released 2012-12-30)
    ===================================

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

10. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

Kyle, sumo portable is not in the list as update needed.
    If i goes to a kc page for other programs to update I can see the sumo update worning, but sumo in not in the main windows as update needed
    Other issue affected me since last week or so, if I search a program in kcsoftware page using google, in the past everithing ok and I was redirect to google search for the porgram, now i have a blank page
    The other link for searching (softpedia, filehippo .... ) are working but google no
    mine here is a blank page if i search for wise disk cleaner for example
    http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...9-1&q= WiseCleaner.com Wise Disk Cleaner &sa=
    I'm on windows 8 pro 64bit using chrome dev as default browser (IE is disabled in all my pcs:D )

11. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Hi,

What exactly do you mean by "sumo portable is not in the list as update needed" ? Do you mean that an OLD version of the portable SUMo is indicated as up-to-date ?

Concerning Google link, i've just tried yours and it works on my system.
    Have you tried with FF or another browser ?

12. Romagnolo1973

Yes, old sumo portable was in the list but indicated as updated even if there is your last version available.
    For the google porblem I try qtweb (a portable browser I use if needed) and it get the same invalid link, error 400. Chrome is sayin not invalid but loading in the blank page

Attached Files:

13. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo Portable : Maybe due to "skip update" used by mistake ? May i have a screenshot + log after scan ?

Chrome : Works fine on my PC. Maybe due to ABP (AdBlock) that you are using and i'm not ?

14. Romagnolo1973

fouded. The problem is generated by GHOSTERY (extension similar to ADB+) that block "Google Ajax api search"
    So in case others report this problem is this extension causing the issue

For Sumo older version I think was a temporary problem in your server when I tryed, because happens in my 2 pcs, the first I manualy updated, the second I don't update for trying later, but trying now it correctly show me I have to update Sumo. So IMHO was a problem at te moment I tried the first time

Happy new year SUMO users :thumb:

15. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Good news !

Happy new year everyone !!

16. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 3.4.17 (Released 2013-01-05)
    ===================================

17. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 3.5 (Released 2013-01-13)
    ================================

18. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hey Kyle,

Just a quick note to let you know that MBAM Pro is now blocking access to website; I get a message that it is blocking "access to a potentially malicious site". :eek:

This must be a recent change to the MBAM database; this has not occurred to be before today.

19. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Malwarebytes seems to be blocking Sumo as of today -anyone else experiencing this? My log:

2013/01/16 07:06:16 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE Stopping IP protection
    2013/01/16 07:06:17 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE IP Protection stopped successfully
    2013/01/16 07:06:17 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE Starting IP protection
    2013/01/16 07:06:21 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully
    2013/01/16 07:06:41 -0600 JOHN-PC John IP-BLOCK 213.186.33.2 (Type: outgoing, Port: 1235, Process: sumo.exe)
    2013/01/16 07:07:15 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE Stopping IP protection
    2013/01/16 07:07:16 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE IP Protection stopped successfully
    2013/01/16 07:07:16 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE Starting IP protection
    2013/01/16 07:07:19 -0600 JOHN-PC John MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

I have contacted Malwarebytes....no reply yet.

20. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Because they have to block it. RK is considered to be malicious by many, and therefore since SUMo contains RK it is considered a malicious distribution source. Also that domain cluster has been implicated for hosting malicious websites. The real solution is to remove RK and anything else from the installer.

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

There is a lite version which is RK free.If it were malicious i dont feel the developer would be on this forum to be honest.:)

22. JohnBurns

I use the Lite Version and MBAM still blocks it - I posted earlier today about this, but at lease I'm not alone I know now. I have contacted MBAM but no response yet.

23. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Just allow that page to open..Webroot also blocks kc softwares page.. I just allow it.. I use Lite version.:thumb:

24. JohnBurns

I tried to do that, but I can't seem to figure out how to properly do it. I went to "Ignore List">clicked "Add">Selected C Program Files(x86)/KC Softwares/SUMo/SuMo.exe" and that does not work. Where am I screwing up?

25. SA Jack

SA Jack Registered Member

Next time you get the blocking message, just right-click the Malwarebytes' tray icon and hover over "Add to Ignore List". You will then see the blocked web address appear. Just click the address choice, and you're done.

Good Luck. -SA Jack

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.