Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

ram usage is different depending the machine, but is not so light.
    I test it and if you use ProcessHacker or ProcessExplorer you will see 2 processes from BD.
    At start they stay at total 70mb, but after 2 minuts they reach a total range 170-300 mb . During a C scan I made via context menu BD use 480 mega for all 28 minutes i need to scan.
    Trying play a HD youtubevideo, chrome stop reproducing for charge it, it means web scanner and webshield have some impact in sufing the net if you have a 2 mb internet as me.
    Conclusion: not so light on my windows 8 64bit dualcore pc
    Roboscan IS is realy much better and not including a useless webshield don't impact internet speed.
    But so far so good, BD comes in the free market and could be a problem for others competitors and a possible choice for users :thumb:

2. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Definitely not experiencing anything like that here. On boot it hovers around 100MB for a minute or two, and after that it drops below 30MB. I didn't test a scan, as I don't care how much it uses when it scans.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

So, no option to set it to prompt the user for an action. :thumbd: I agree that most users wouldn't know how to answer, but many will know and these users should be given the choice not to wreck their systems, by automatically deleting /quarantining.

4. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

Yeap, #Notok, this is exactly what we have thought/think when we "draw" the specs and the interface; "Project Gonzales" (the nickname of this AV) was designed to be:
    - as intelligent as possible (in most cases, more intelligent than the average user, who don't want to make ANY decision)
    - as light as posible - from our tests, we are on the pair with the lightest AVs
    - as different as possible (but for a good and precise reason[ing]): no on-demand scan button, no alerts, no settings, no exclusions
    - with top-notch technologies that the user doesn't even know or care (anti-rootkit, active virus control, anti-phishing, light/cloud av engines, intrusion detection system - part of the self-protect system)

BD AV Free have TONS of settings, but they are all hidden!
    It's the AV that, after you learn to trust him, you'll trust to put it on your wife/kids/friends/gran'ma computer, and never be bothered.. Hope you all will come to this ;)

We'll be here (the developers/testers/support) and try to respond as quickly as possible to the bugs/feature req/questions

5. DBone

DBone Registered Member

From the BD Free Manual:

What is Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition?
    Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is an antivirus program designed to be fast and
    to minimize user interaction, while sacrificing nothing of the malware detection and
    removal capabilities that Bitdefender products are generally known for. By default,
    Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition scans and cleans your system using only the
    resources that you, your software or your operating system are not using, thus
    achieving near-zero impact on your activities.
    Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition periodically scans all of your files and handles all
    security-related decisions for you. This means you will see no pop-ups, no alerts
    and you will not have to configure any settings whatsoever.

6. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

Running smooth and fast here in windows 8 64. Thanks Bitdefender :cool:

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yeah, I am fine it they make the whole auto-delete thing default, but it would be nice to give adv. users the "ask" option . This is why I never used the paid license I bought.

8. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

In certain cases the first update (after install) is not triggered, so, yes, a manual reboot will "fix" this..
    We are investigating this issue and we'll come out with a product update ASAP

9. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

Using 10-30 Mb of memory. Need to restart the machine for complete updating. Web shield is very strong (I'm using Comodo Dragon)...

10. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Good to know thanks, and nice work too! :thumb:

11. spywar

spywar Registered Member

To Bitdefender devs,

How does your cloud work ?
    Only signatures storage ?

12. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

There are 2 things here:

First, the default actions for an infected file are 1. "disinfect" 2. "quarantine"
    There are certain (and from what I see here, there are kind of many) situations when the av engines decides that for that particular file that "disinfect" == "delete file"

If you have this kind of files, PM me with the link/torrent/file; archive first, and password protect them with the "infected" password

Second, although 98+% of the BD AV Free users will never need to change any of the implemented use cases, we'll make a special (wilders :D) tool/steps to change "disinfect" into "deny"
    For internal testing purposes we have implemented the exception mechanism, if someone want to except a file/folder/partition, PM me..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  13. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

I'm note sure if I'm allowed to disclose this inside.. It's more complex than that..

14. DBone

DBone Registered Member

How often will the auto full scan perform its task? Also, how often does it update itself/signatures?

15. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

any plans for a pro / free product? like panda did with panda cloud?

16. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

The update (both signatures and product) are set to check hourly

The autoscan has 2 components:
    - quick scan: once a day
    - full scan: once a week

Normally, those autoscans are not needed to be manually triggered, or to wait to have the computer in idle mode

We have developed a special library that allows the autoscan to instant pause when the processor or the harddrive activity is above a certain levels (autocalibrate take place immediately after install ;))

So, let's say the full autoscan has started; and, after several minutes you open a document, or make another processor/hdd intensive activity
    The autoscan will pause instantly and will resume (again, instantly :D) after the CPU and HDD are dropped under precise values..

17. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

Not for now..

18. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

what about the protection when off-line? does it maintain a local signature backup file when not online? does this get updated as needed? (like Panda Cloud?)

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Anyone having issues with Chrome after installing BD-Free and rebooting? Chrome will open, but can't get any pages to load.

Edit - I rebooted a second time, and now it seems to be working ok.

Edit2 - actually, while I can open new pages, the tabs I had saved do not seem to be opening. Just seem to be hanging in limbo. Maybe a web scanner issue.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  20. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

@ Iulika
    2 users here have 30mb usage, I have 150 average ram consuption in my 2 pc (different configurations and hw) running 8 pro 64bit.
    Could be an issue with 8? I have read requirements and 8 is not mentioned, is not 100% ready for the new O,S. and it will be ready asap?
    Thanks, and for sure a Wilders edition with quarantine configuration will be apreciate :D I vote yes

21. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

Maintaining a local backup signature of the entire cloud will still make this a "cloud" product? ;)

When offline, the local signatures will protect you for 90%+ threats; false positives may appear.
    For full protection, it's recommended/mandatory to have an Internet connection

22. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

does the AV protect against exploits ?

I know panda just added that feature

23. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Perfect. The full scan performed today with the following stats:

Scan Results
    Auto Scan has completed a Full Scan cycle on 12/23/2012 12:51:40 PM.
    Effective scan time: 00:14:26
    The scan took: 00:36:12
    Files scanned: 90874
    Infected items detected: 0
    Files known to be clean: 10485
    Scan Results
    No infected items have been found.

To be honest, I didn't even know it was running. Once a week should be great for the full scan, and as of yet, the quick sweep scan has not run.

24. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

We'll look into the ram usage/issue on W8 /64bit

BD AV Free is W8 compatible/certified (it was one of the first AVs W8 compatible - at that time, only available in Romania :D)

25. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

Same results here. When installing I was given the option to do a quick scan, but this did not show up in the logs. Did it actually run but a bug kept it from being in the logs, or was this by design?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.