What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I started using Karma Blocker and remove adblock plus. :D. Do you think the default setting is good enough?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I have never tried the default settings. I need it only for controlling content in secure sites (https://); Privoxy doesn't block content for such sites. Virtually all the rest of the content blocking I need is achieved through Privoxy.

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I'm loving karma blocker, :D

4. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

Can someone give out some info on how to setup karma blocker since i can not find anything(not much information) like fanboys list etc. for this blocker.How do you block specific adds you don't like on webpages. ....it would be helpful to all.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

AFAIK, there aren't any ready-made lists for Karma Blocker. The user has to do it all.

I've unchecked the sync option and replaced all the stuff in the window with my own rules.

This what my list looks like:
    I'm not sure this will be of much help!

You'll also have to read the configuration.htm file to understand how regex is used.

I've mentioned that I use Karma Blocker mainly for https sites for which Privoxy, my main blocker, is ineffective.

In edit: For each change to be effected, Firefox has to be restarted :(

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  6. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

When i open Karma blocker options i only get this how do i set the rules? i don't see other options to setup rules to block and no right click options to block specific adds like addblock plus.

Attached Files:

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That is the only window, I'm afraid. You have to type your set of rules in there (after deleting all existing content in the window). Alternatively, you can use the rules as they stand (with which I have no experience).

Instructions are here: http://trac.arantius.com/wiki/Support/KarmaBlocker/Configuration

That is correct. The only way to interact is via the window and you need to restart the browser after each change or set of changes.

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Yup, you must use the built in "monitor" included in the karma blocker, then write the rule to block what you want, lighter than adblock plus but can break a lot of pages, lol! :D

9. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Local Load -https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/local-load/ , according to the reviews, it makes firefox faster, :D

10. guest

guest Guest

Ghostery

Ghostery:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/
    http://www.ghostery.com/

I have made public my collection here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/collections/l0rdraiden/favorites/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011
  11. guest

guest Guest

Would be nice to make a separated post for Karma Blocker, in order to make an un-official ruleset.

If somebody start it I promise read he configuration manual :D

In the first post we can post the rules and will be updated there.

12. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I find it hard to maintain, sigh, reverted back to adblock plus. The default settings for karma blocker is fine. I tried to tweak the settings but some images are block as well. To much for me. But I bet someone with enough patience can do it:D

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You mean a separate thread? I don't think that should be a problem.

So far, AFAICT, exactly five people have shown any interest at all in Karma Blocker. All the same, if I see that you haven't started a new thread, I will do so (later).

14. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Testing Firefox 5. Firefox may become my primary web browser again.

Current add-ons:

Adblock Plus,
    App Button Remove,
    Mouse Gestures Redox (nightly),
    NoScript.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

;) Waiting.

16. malexous

Pressing Alt with Openbox does not show the Menu Bar. I am using Hide Menubar for this (it is also possible to show it on mouseover). I now have no need for App Button Remove.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't use Firefox a huge amount these days, although I find the portable very useful. However, I have discovered this cool Netscape inspired theme. It's very redolent of the SeaMonkey #1 series which I was a fan of. I just thought I'd share it with you guys. Does anyone else think it looks dead cool? :cool:

18. malexous

The one thing I missed after trying Opera a few months ago was having the file size displayed in the download dialog. I do not miss it anymore: Show File Size2.

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Isn't that a common issue with most Linux DEs? I don't have the Alt function with Mint 11 using Gnome (no effects). I'll check with Xfce as well later.

For now, I just press Alt+E (or F or T or H etc) to bring up the menu bar. I see no point in an extension for that.

Keeping it simple, I now get most of my theme-ing done by the OS. The little more that I need, I do with the Stylish extension.

20. malexous

I could also just press F10 but:

• With the placement of my touchpad, Alt on its own is much more convenient. I often have a finger resting on it.
    • I do not need another add-on to remove the Firefox button.
    • I have the location box on the Menu Bar. When using Hide Menubar, when I open a new tab, the Menu Bar pops down (and pops back up when I enter text then press Enter or click somewhere else on the screen).

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

True.

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'll have to have a better look at 'Stylish' one of the days.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Maybe if I'm older...

It works really well on sites as well.

25. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Adblock Plus; WOT; Download Helper; DownThemAll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.