What are the "Must Have" extensions for Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlu

tlu Guest

Hm, what do you mean with "it doesn't show what cookies are blocked"?

With flexible I meant, that you can, e.g., chose if 2nd level domain names are used. I disabled this option and can very precisely define if cookies are (temporarily) allowed only for the subdomain or for the whole domain.

I haven't observed your problem after a FF crash - possibly because FF is running very stable here and actually never crashes.:D

2. tlu

tlu Guest

I don't think so. This is explained here.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Block all cookies, go to Youtube, observe that videos don't play, how would you know what's the problem? It would help if it did show a message about blocked cookies, just like NoScript.

That was just an example, another example: You allow a website, after a few days the web site sets the expiry time to the end of session, when you close Fx the cookie is deleted, next time you open Fx and go to that web site you notice that it doesn't function correctly, after awhile you find out that cookies aren't allowed and you wonder who blocked that site, well that's because CM doesn't store list of allowed sites, if there is already a cookie for a website it's allowed otherwise it's blocked...

btw what do you think of Karma Blocker? Looks like lightweight ABP alternative for advanced users.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

And have you tried it? Sounds interesting and possibly a bit complicated but I'll give it a good look. Thanks for the link!

Edit: It's also being actively developed since it's supposed to work with Minefield as well.

Second edit: I need to be more careful :( . I mistook an open ticket (feature request) for a done-n-dusted feature. In other words, no good karma for Minefield users just yet. I even disabled compatibility checking.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Let's see it (Karma Blocker) seems to have installed on Minefield. I've disabled ABP everywhere but I still have Privoxy on.

More later (after due head-scratching & nose-picking).

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, that would be nice. On the other hand, if I block cookies and go to, e.g. Youtube, Cookie Monster tells me that that site wants to save cookies if I hover the mouse over the CM symbol, or that the site doesn't (example: adblockplus.org). (And you can also find out about 3rd party cookies via the CM menu.)

Sorry, I haven't run into this problem so far ...

Thanks, I will look into this.

7. Sadeghi85

Yes, you allow -www.youtube.com, but videos still don't play and the 3rd party menu is empty...You need to allow *.youtube.com but it's not immediately obvious.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally found a replacement for Tab History. :)

Tab History Redux

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

O.K. ;)

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It needs a restart of the browser (Fx4 and Minefield) to implement changes :( .

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Karma Blocker is just a 45 KB download. Perhaps, that's the reason why the UI is virtually non-existent and you can't click on an image or ad to block. You just have to write a rule and restart the browser for the rule to take effect.

For me, the transition wasn't too hard since it resembles Privoxy to some extent in terms of writing rules and use of regex.

What would be really interesting (academically, if not practically) to know is the consumption of resources. I would guess that KB would be very economical compared to "fully-featured" blockers but I guess until there's a way to monitor processes, we can only guess.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

does someone use the firefox sync feature ?

12. Sadeghi85

Not that much, haven't had much time to play with it, sounds interesting indeed.

Yes, I do sync bookmarks and preferences.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i would like to do too but i'm worried about password

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

16. axial

axial Registered Member

17. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

18. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

19. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Think this may have been pulled by AMO now? Just getting "not found" this
    evening? It wasn't in the experimental category, so presume it had been tested
    and approved. Chrome version still available.

20. mortl

mortl Registered Member

What flash player are people usingo_O

21. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

You mean the browser plugin? Really the only usable one is from Adobe. :mad:

22. mortl

mortl Registered Member

Ok thanks for the input - I just downloaded firefox 4 the other day so i was hesitant to add new stuff

My addons

Adblock Plus
    BetterPrivacy
    Ghostery
    Noscript

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The annoyance of add-on incompatibility with new versions of Firefox maybe soon mitigated to some extent:
    http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/04/19/add-on-compatibility-rapid-releases/ and http://www.browserscene.com/

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.