Experiences with ThreatFire

Discussion in 'polls' started by progress, Apr 15, 2009.

?

What about your experiences with ThreatFire?

1. It's perfect, I will keep it :)

52 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. It slowed down my machine :(

65 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. It killed my keyboard :(

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. It caused other problems (blue screen, reboot ...)

39 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. progress

progress Guest

What about your experiences with ThreatFire? :rolleyes:

2. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Good experiences. For me does what it says on the tin - Alerts on suspicious program behaviour - if program A tries to modify program B , installing in sys32 , startup , all good calls that my AV doesn't make.

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Great app. Saved my bacon a few times.

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

TF blocked/interfered with too many things on my systems without giving a pop-up or other indication that it was the cause. Also, I didn't want to possibly have to deal with keyboard problems in the future.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Like he said.

That app is in serious trouble and it just shouldn't be.

My advice? Sell it to a developer at a discounted price or give it away to a developer/programmer that can make it into a worthy security program.

I have lost all faith in Symantec's acquistion of PCTools and subsequently in the same process ruined TF even worse then before.

Thats my story and i am sticking to it.

6. progress

progress Guest

I was running it for 2 months and there was no TF action. The only action: It slows down my machine :'(

As we can see, I'm not the only user with TF problems ...

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Well i installed the beta a few times on different images and the first time it installed in Portugese o_O and the second time as well + it flagged a legit system file

8. progress

progress Guest

I selected "German" language but the news tab was showing "French" :ouch:

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Note i havent selected any languages at all, im dutch/english user but the beta installs in protugese for some odd reason

10. spy_protector

spy_protector Registered Member

ya man...it rockss...:cool:

11. progress

progress Guest

It slowed down my machine :'( Maybe I'll try the next version ...

12. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

I like threatfire never had any problems with it yet..runs nice and light for me:)

13. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

It tends to be very light, even though some non-specific situations will make it use a lot of CPU-time - and then I've no scheduled scanning.

I've told them about this, and they're aware and are always trying to improve that part, e.g. through new versions.

It's simply a little like Prevx (yes, I know they're VERY different, but read on...) - looking at the behavior, where TF has to hook into everything. This provides very early and effective protection, but without optimization might cause what I described first.

14. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

It does a lot of I/O according to Task Manager , but very little CPU time on my PC. ( 4 year old laptop , XP 2)

15. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Set the security level higher than the default is 3.. Level 4 is good. It does detect malware and the cloak rootkits too.. Requires internet community so you'll need an internet connection for it's dbase.

16. progress

progress Guest

Wow, there are a lot of problems with ThreatFire :gack:

17. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Tried several versons of TF and always had the same result,
    apparently ran fine for a few days then 100% cpu by TF and total freeze/lockup of pc. Had to hard reboot and do a rollback of my system for all to be ok again. TF is not for me.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I gave TF every chance I could, but on my machines it just did not run well... there was always one thing or another wrong.

For awhile there was a major conflict with avast! that just caused horrible performance. To their credit, they fixed that.

There were frequent false positives, that I was told were the direct result of running the sensitivity level too high. Things calmed down when I reverted to default levels, and even remained tolerable when I inched the sensitivity back up a notch.

I didn't much care for the AV scanning engine that got incorporated into the mix. Tech support seemed to always downplay that feature, which made me question why it was included in the first place.

TF's rookit scanner never seemed to run properly for me.

Manual updating always was difficult and glitchy.

The keyboard problem, which I never experienced, concerned scared me.

I had slowdowns and instability, which totally disappeared when I yanked TF. I'd been told that with its deep hooks, TF was conflicting with ZAP and its OS Firewall protection. As much as I didn't want to believe that was the case, I couldn't ignore how smooth things ran with TF removed.

I definitely did not like it when TF was purchased by Symantec, but I tried to keep an open mind, telling myself that things would be different this time... that the presence of Symantec on the scene would not automatically create problems, which I have come to believe is a standard course of events with Symantec software. Eventually I quit going against what I had perceived over the years, and I concluded that Symantec sticking their big fat finger in the TF pie was indeed a turn for the worse.

I was fairly persistent in my efforts to give TF a fair opportunity on my machines, dating back to the CyberHawk days. But one day, I realized that I was not being realistic. TF was just one big source of trouble for me. :thumbd:

19. raven211

Yes, ance, we already understand that you think so from reading all your (previous) posts. :gack:

I'm fine with people criticizing the product for a good reason, believe me, but your post here and some other places are just pointless.

I think it's good other users describe their serious problems with TF as the devs. do read the things here at Wilders.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  20. progress

progress Guest

:'(

That's the reason why I started this poll. But I agree, I think it's enough. This poll can be closed now :)

21. raven211

I don't mean to be harsh, but what you write got to be based on something. Enough is enough - no offence.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I value a thread such as this because after I post of my experiences, I may see some different opinions or even some concurring ones and learn more on the topic. Maybe the OP has some "history" with this program, but not all of us are aware of it and, honestly, we're not as put off by it as you.

I appreciate the poll. :thumb:

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Two years back I tested it with a brand new AMD dual core 2GB PC and it made it feel like a early 350MHz Celeron, hope it has improved since then.

24. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Ran fine for a few days then 100% cpu by TF and total freeze/lockup of pc. Had to hard reboot was not happy. Removed it:thumbd:

25. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

It's so low in system resources not like the teatimer that uses 87K and hogs the cpu. TF better than prior versions the 4.1.0.25 not bad.. It can be run server OS which I doing that's both file/web server no issues. I think you all just have way to many protections loaded on your system. IS is great for those who don't know much about security or for wireless laptop users.

I've see such a lot of add-on SA everyone is running with TF.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.