Experiences with ThreatFire

Discussion in 'polls' started by progress, Apr 15, 2009.

?

What about your experiences with ThreatFire?

1. It's perfect, I will keep it :)

52 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. It slowed down my machine :(

65 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. It killed my keyboard :(

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. It caused other problems (blue screen, reboot ...)

39 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

The only real time security software I was running alongside TF when I was using it was Avast antivirus and TF still gave me problems. I guess one thing alongside TF was too much. :rolleyes:

2. progress

progress Guest

I was running AVG + TF, maybe we should run TF without any AV :oops:

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There are more than a few users posting on the PCTools ThreatFire forum who advocate doing just that.

4. progress

progress Guest

Doing what? Running TF without any AV or running TF + AVG? :doubt:

5. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Running TF alone without any other security software. I believe I'm correct that the PCTools mod on the forum has stated that he simply uses TF and Windows FW, nothing else. Probably doesn't run under an admin account though.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to advocating running TF without an AV.

7. progress

progress Guest

8. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

No you still need your AV and spyware programs, unless they have the same features of TF then you really don't need to use TF or PrevX.

9. tipstir

Avast is powerful but TF with Avast is another issue. Avast doesn't have TF features. Rising Sun RAV Free 2009 does as MBI actually it has two different types . I am testing that right now with there Behavior Trojan/Malware Blocker addition in Rising Sun PC Doctor also this program can scan your system OS and see what's patches are needed for it. Gives you the option to download them and patch the system without going to the MS web site to it. Both are freeware.

TF if set to the max it still keeps on prompting me for the same programs. I've even listed them as trust but it still does it. If you set it to default then it runs normal.

If you see I might have TF listed without AV program well some of them still have SDAV running. I'll have to pull that out. I going to replace those with RAV Free. Out of everything I've tested so far that was able to clean out viruses even the toughes ones out of the files and I was able to use them right away. None of the others I've tested did that. All they did is stuck the bad files into a vault or quantine them and that's if, I mean if the could even detect the threat even?

10. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

As I said in my post previous to that; "I'm fine with people criticizing the product for a good reason --- I think it's good other users describe their serious problems with TF as the devs. do read the things here at Wilders."

Am I or possibly YOU missing something, or did I misunderstand your message?

I understand it as you're trying to say that I didn't want this discussion to continue - and that's not true at all - I'm happy with this discussion continuing, as long as what's written is based on something.

11. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

The thing is - and it applies to any software people run , is that we always blame the last application we add.

In a sense all the other applications are also to blame as it is an incompatabilty between all the software on the PC which is the problem.

:)

This poll has 50-60 responses as I write this, and roughly 20% in all catagories.

I would say you could get a similar survey reaction to ANY security app in use here at wilders.

12. tipstir

I've pulled the chain on TF...

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, that was my impression... that you didn't want the discussion to continue. Your words, "Enough is enough" would be what caused me to believe that. But you're telling me that you are happy with the discussion continuing. Great. We agree. I don't care for members trying to silence other members, and I got the impression that that was what you were trying to do with the thread OP. Let's move on, shall we? :)

14. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Avira Prem. AV ,Comodo FW with +D. I have tried Mamutu and Threatfire . I have, so far had no problems with TF, but had to remove Mamutu. I haven't noticed any slow down. The problems that I had with Mamutu was at boot.

15. shift

shift Registered Member

run good for me... Threatfire + ESS 4

the only problem is smart update not worked..

16. wembleyy

wembleyy Registered Member

if i have a super computer i ill install it, it completely froze my pc when booted

17. raven211

Well, that still wouldn't help if you got the same setup, right? It froze. o_O

18. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

I have no problem with ThreatFire,when I used it.So I have a good experience with it,only did I know other friends' keyboards are killed.

19. icr

icr Registered Member

Me too never had any problems with ThreatFire:thumb: but Avira is enough for me so I am not using it now.

20. kupton

kupton Registered Member

I've been running TF with Avira free on 4 computers (3 XP pro, 1 Vista Bus.) and it's been fine so far.

21. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

My main complaints about TF are:

1) Give the deny option.
    2) Allow for disabling the net module. I can't help getting the feeling that it has a small impact on the internet connection.

Other than that, the latest version is nice and lighter than the previous ones (who were more heavy and slowing down system).

22. raven211

1) It's coming, and I thought you knew.
    2) What net-module? I'm not running it right now, but maybe it's something named "TfNetMon" if I remember correctly. Good point in that case. It should have the option to be opted out.

23. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

1) Yes, but until it comes...
    2) Yes, the TfNetMon is the module which controls network access the threats. It can be manually disabled through command line, but it gives then tons of error entries in Windows Event Viewer, which i hate.

24. raven211

I can see the net-monitor being a good layer in a number of security software, including ThreatFire as it's supposed to act fast. This is sadly not the case right now with 4.5 - even requires a restart for a setup file which means it's already let it do stuff. It's being worked on by the devs. as we speak.

I don't remember any noticeable impact running it myself, I'm completely happy with my browsing speeds atleast. :D I would just look for the fastest browser out there if that's all you're looking for. ;)

25. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Not even downslowing the machine, more a slow scanner at all. I think there are more light tools outthere
    with better efficiency and less false positives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.