Zemana AntiMalware 2 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Emre TINAZTEPE, Jan 20, 2015.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

Every multi-engine scanner is "a shameless copy of HMP" ?
    I don't think so.

=
    &

HTP => Bitdefender & Kaspersky engine.

edit:

+1

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. I am not talking about other multi-AV scanner's, just Zemena Anti-Malware's. It resemble's HMP a lot, buckle up Process Monitor and do a run with HMP and this look-a-like, speaks for itself.

3. anon

anon Registered Member

I disagree, as already mentioned: "Zemana Anti-malware uses Opswat's multi-scanning technology".
    ----------

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  4. The last thing before we agree to disagree: it is where the scan looks at, not to which AV engines it is compared with (do two runs with process monitor)

5. anon

anon Registered Member

So what?

We agree to disagree. :thumb:
    End.

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It is safe to assume Zemana is not renewing their contract with HitmanPro, and that this will replace it?

7. metmichallica

metmichallica Registered Member

Blue Screen of Death: This time I wrote it down. I figured it was the least I could do.

Stop:0x00000135 (0xFFFFFFFFC00000050xFFFFFF88004DF518,OxFFFFF8A0001D05BO)

zam64.sys-Address FFFFFF880043DF518 base at FFFFF880043D6000 Datestamp 54cba678

8. metmichallica

I'm just adding my a comment here. Hitman Pro looks like it gets you the kaspersky and bitdefender engine if you pay for it. To me this deal seems like a ripoff only one more engine then you already have installed on your computer. I would never go for that if I were to buy, but a program like zemana for their 10+ I would. Who is going to buy a program for only 2 engines? Maybe if it was an antivirus that protects you in realtime like F-prot. There is a freebie one called 360 Total Security that I use and it also uses a couple big players Avira and Bitdefender.

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

HMP used to have something like 6 engines didn't it? After I was trashed on my license for HMP I never renewed it, but now that they are down to 2 engines... Ikarus was a valuable engine in HMP, and that is gone. I see this Zemana being very very useful!

10. metmichallica

Something like that I remember downloading a trial years ago and it was useful then. It found stuff on my computer but I never had the money to buy. Zemana is the first program I ever owned like this and I am very thankful to them for the key. It was really nice of them.

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Ikarus has lots of FPs.
    Even Emsisoft got rid of it.

12. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Correct! :thumb:

13. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Sometimes less is more. More engines don't necessary bring more detection, so it's an internal decision to concentrate on two top engines. And scanning is always free with HMP. Beside that Hitman Pro has strong own detection capabilities. But here the topic is Zemana and not A vs B, and one question about Zemanas own "engine" still remains open

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Ikarus also picks up some strange stuff other products miss, FP's aside.

15. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations,

Let focus on making this software better here, NOT comparing the 2 with others similar software.
    Any new updates?
    On Zemana Anti-malware 2 Beta?

Moose's World

16. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Does anybody know if ZAM is able to replace/disinfect infected windows executables/drivers ?

17. Moose World

"Does anybody know if ZAM is able to replace/disinfect infected windows executables/drivers?"

A good question, that I also, would like to know the answer too....

Moose's World

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Added to my setup.

19. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi

I have got answer of my post

Currently we are not submitting any files to AntiVirus vendors since MetaScan only gets updates from the AV vendors and doesn't submit files.

Thanks.

20. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Hmmmm, but why the after-scan option says "Report as safe" then?

21. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Internal whitelisting.

22. Emre TINAZTEPE

Emre TINAZTEPE Registered Member

We are aware of the issue. This is because we have avoided to use a shell extension (DLL) for the right click menu. Somehow we can fix that without shell extension but we have an another issue with the current right click menu implementation that when the user try to scan an executable which is downloaded from Internet, Windows shows the following scary security warning, and the user things, ZAM is trying to execute the scanned item. That is way we'll start to use a shell extension in the next releases.
    sshot-6.png

This must be fixed in the latest public release?

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. I have confirmed the issue and it will be fixed in the new version.
    You are most welcome.
    Thanks to your samples we have fixed some major issue related to detection.

Our scanner, scans all active programs (drivers, loaded modules, processes, boot sectors) and all the known auto-start locations for malware traces at the OS kernel level so it detects even the most advanced rootkit/bootkits such as Alureon, ZeroAccess, Simda, GapZ, Finfisher and etc. also it is capable of detecting and cleaning the file-less malware such as Poweliks,Gootkit.

I have seen some comments like "What is the difference of ZAM compared to some online AV scanner services such as OPSWAT". It is not possible to select the hidden malware on an infected system. These services are only useful if you can see the malware sample at rest but if you are running these tools on an infected system, there is nothing you can do... This is what ZAM is specialized at.

Regarding our heuristics based detection engine, we have a huge database of malware behaviors collected by IntelliGuard module and we are now developing a smart heuristics signature format for detecting zero day malware samples.

ZAM is able to repair infected Windows files but we are developing an advanced cloud based collaborative cleaning system in case the clean copy of the file can not be found.
    This could be added in the future but unfortunately not in our priority list for the moment.
    You probably stopped the ZAM service if so then this is an expected behavior. Service is also used for applying updates. I think it is best for you to use portable version.
    We haven't seen this behavior with ZAM. Are you using the portable edition with manual registry settings for making it autostart?

We are aware of this issue and currently investigating it. We will release a new version as soon as the issue is fixed. As a temporary workaround, you should exit ZAM and delete the settings.db file which is located at %localappdata%\Zemana\Zemana AntiMalware\settings.db then try to activate your license again. This should solve your issue; please let me know if you experience further problems.
    We haven't seen this behavior with an another user. Your situation is somehow unique. Probably you are using some kind of sandbox software which we can not reproduce it.

This is a difficult decision, why you just not exclude it?

Thanks to your feedbacks we are improving ZAM day by day.

This is definitely a bug but, however we are unable to reproduce the issue you are reporting. Do you use the portable edition?
    Currenlty we're submitting only to our partner Intel Security (Mcafeee) but this can be changed later.

We can not do it in beta stage ;)

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for clarifying this matter to us. In order to investigate further can you please locate the crash minidump, zip it up, and attach it here.
    It is located in C:\Windows\Minidump\

We appreciate your patience in this matter and will get back to you as soon as possible once we receive more details.

We're waiting for final release to create a detailed documentation, currently we are fine tuning scan locations/formats and etc. and they are subject to change.

Ouch! We are open to any criticism to always leave room for improvement but you are commenting without knowing our agreement with Surfright!
    What do you mean? The startup locations that we are looking?

Yes but currently we can only repair infected system files. Here is the screen shot of infected system driver by Rootkit.Simda. (Look at the cleaning action)
    sshot-7.png
    There are some good news, we have licensed Metascan 16 but we are not going to use all these engines because of the performance and FP issues, we are waiting your feedback on this subject.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Excellent!!!

Avira
    BitDifender
    Emsisoft
    ESET
    Kaspersky

:D

I still miss an option to auto-close after the startup scan... ;)
    We don't need to always have ZAM running...

24. tuvalu_tt

tuvalu_tt Registered Member

Me: Why there is UAC pop-up after boot?
    Other programs can check program updates and do scheduled scans just fine and those do not have UAC pop up after boot.

No. it's really installed, (OS is Win7 64bit.)
    Now it does not happen on every re-start/boot, only sometimes, and i have no idea what triggers it when it happens.

25. Moose World

Salutations,

Outstanding! Nice to hear! Thank you for the feedback from above!

Avira, Bitdefender, ESET, Kaspersky and Trend. Missing would be Dr.Web?
    Great at cleaning and removal of stubborn malware.

Zemana Anti-malware 2 Beta start something and scan on start up of PC.
    And something it sit there and does nothing? Strange!

Moose's World

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.