UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

It's a different thing, "Delete entry" means it will attempt to remove the Uninstall registry key; That is sometimes useful when you have duplicates entries pointing to the same installed location.
    I'll take a look.

2. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes, but it works 99% of the time. So I'd say it's good enough for an automated thing... Also every company is responsible for optimizing its own SEO.
    Also it's up to the user to read the search page and choose the proper entry.

3. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Unfortunately this was requested but we couldn't find a solution for that. Yet.

4. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Please read:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...tware-in-2-clicks.404593/page-54#post-3183134

5. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Sorry, but I believe it's already the case ? DPI is recognized, at least from our tests on 4k screens and older screens.
    The problem with adding checkbox to "Updates" tab is that it will confuse users, making them think those entries can be updated with "Update selected".
    We had this in the past, but removed because of this; I think the "Compact" view will bring more flexibility for bulk exclusions.

6. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

I found, you need to be admin. Click on the shield Icon, do a scan and retry. I'll block the deletion for now-admin

7. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

Ok, good to know that thanks, but however still such a version doesn't exist.

8. duf666

duf666 Registered Member

@Tigzy thanks for the answers

9. BRO

BRO Registered Member

Well.. that is unfortunate.
    There are just too many results to click through without a way to mass exclude them.

10. duf666

duf666 Registered Member

So, scan with the updated 5.3.1.0 portable version:
    There's still the false result on balenaEtcher portable and now there's also TSR Watermak portable...

For info, I have completely deleted previous UCheck.

000960.jpg

000959.jpg

000957.jpg

Additionally I'd like to ask what's the difference between "skip this update" and the new "exclude this path" ?

11. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

I think this issue is coming from those programs. They probably don't update the registry entry... What do you have in Programs and features ?

12. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Skip this update will exlude only this version, exclude the path will exclude the entry by location.

13. Steve Hoek

Steve Hoek Registered Member

It would be nice to have an "Exclude this file" as well, because some portable apps ship with older versions of accessory tools that need to be excluded without wanting to exclude the entire folder the portable app is in.

14. duf666

duf666 Registered Member

Both are portable apps...

15. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Hi @Tigzy it seems that "Refresh data" only refreshes the version number field, but does not update the logic on "outdated" would that be an option to also check that?

16. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Oh ok, sorry. So I guess I misunderstood the question, could you clarify what data is wrong ?

17. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Hi, so you mean "Outdated" stays outdated ? Yeah that's probably a bug

18. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Correct

19. duf666

duf666 Registered Member

There is no Balena 1.19…
    TSR is already 3.7.2.2

20. B-boy/StyLe/

Hi Tigzy,

I would like to report a False Positive for WinAmp.

5.92 is newer than 5.666.

Also, is it possible to check the EXE files of the programs too instead of getting the information from the Add/Remove programs?
    I am asking this because some of the programs auto-update, but the installation entries remain unchanged, and that make UCheck think that the programs are old.

https://i.ibb.co/Q6jL3fr/Image-745.png

For example, Viber from the screenshot above was already updated - see below:

https://i.ibb.co/bPc1zZr/Image-743.png

The same for StarCraft 2

https://i.ibb.co/0D28jNf/Image-742.png

Manually reinstalling Viber updated the installation entry and now UCheck is no longer showing it in the list, but I am not going to reinstall SC2.

Thanks!

21. layman

layman Registered Member

Of course, 666>92, so recognizing that 5.92>5.666 is a special case. And the fact that so many products do not update DisplayVersion in the registry also complicates making making UCheck actually useful. As of now, it's only marginally so. And maybe the fact that there are so many special cases contributed to why SUMo is now dead and gone.

22. B-boy/StyLe/

I know but in fact the version seems to be even 5.6.66 so 5.9.2 → 5.6.66

https://i.ibb.co/rw6X8mt/Image-747.png

As for the DisplayVersion not being updated, that's why I suggested if UCheck can scan the version of the file from the file itself as well and not to rely on of the information provided by the registry entries if possible.

But yeah, I agree that versioning could be a tricky thing.

23. layman

layman Registered Member

One example of 'tricky' is that UCheck is currently unable to correctly distinguish versions of TurboTax. The TurboTax versioning scheme has three components, the first of which is the tax year (e.g. 022, 023, etc.) And each year, I must install both business and personal variants, plus have more than one tax year installed. So, currently, I have four different versions of TurboTax installed and UCheck does not properly distinguish which is which, even as to year. So, you are absolutely right that getting to the executable to check its version number is necessary to making UCheck what most of us need. But that requires knowing where the executable is. And the complicating factor is that not all programs populate InstallLocation in the registry. Macrium Reflect is an example of that.

Tigzy hasn't given us much reason for optimism that he is willing to go down that rabbit hole.

24. B-boy/StyLe/

:thumb:

That's why SUMo had a scan feature (even a custom folder scanning). I really liked the ability to scan the system for custom files. But I think that UCheck have some sort of scanning ability as well. Maybe it's using a pre-scanning list with some default locations or something else (I don't know) but it found some files that needed an update, but they were leftovers from not completely uninstalled programs and instead of updating them I deleted them, and they disappeared from the list the next time I ran a scan. So this was useful. :)

You're probably right, and we shouldn't put hope in this, but I believe he will find a way to improve it more in the upcoming releases.

25. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi @Tigzy :

Where would you like users to report erroneous version detections by UCheck?

I understood from your 15-Dec-2023 post # 1248 in this thread that you don't want users to report incorrect version detections in the UCheck Bug Tracker at https://github.com/AdliceSoftware/UCheck/issues, but I've posted twice in the Adlice UCheck forum at https://forum.adlice.com/index.php?board=4.0 in the past few weeks and provided the information requested in Curson's pinned post at Erroneous Detection / Application Support Request and no one from Adlice has responded.

See my 14-Mar-2024 UCheck v5.3.1 Incorrectly Recommends Update to HWiNFO Portable v7.73 BETA and 20-Mar-2024 UCheck v5.3.1 Erroneous Detection of MS Office 2019 Insider Preview v2403.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4170 * Firefox v124.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24020.7-1.1.24020.9 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.11.320-1.0.2302 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * QuickInstaller (Preview) v0.3.8830.19890 * UCheck Free Portable 64-Bit v5.3.1.0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.