UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Probably unrelated. If they have the same version info "ProductName" and "Company" then they will have a match... Unfortunately I don't see how we can avoid that if they are not already filtered out.

2. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes, production release doesn't do portable community feedback. This is still a beta feature for now

3. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

When they do, are you seeing the exclusion in Exclusions list ?

4. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

5. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes, that's weird. No exclusions I guess ? Could you send me the logs in PM ?

6. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

If those programs don't expose version info (product name, company name, and version) then UCheck cannot detect them.

7. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Yes, it's expected. Hard limit is currently set to 1000. Remember it's a BETA feature, we start in a safe way :)

8. digenfr1

digenfr1 Registered Member

@Tigzy

Hi there,

I manually excluded all the programs seen as Portable; now I'm down from 281 to 6 updates available.
    I will test the program starting from this situation and share the results here.

Just few comments: I understand that there is a lot to do right now, but in the future I would suggest making some changes to the code.
    Using again Glary Utilities as an example, if this program is recognized by UCheck as installed (I mean a "normal" installation process and not related to a Portable program), I believe that there must be a software check to exclude the listing of all its *.exe files in the Portable tab.
    Program scanning will probably also be faster and the display of results much tidier.

All of us are now in a testing phase and have understood the logic and the technical choices behind this development, but I don't think new future users will find attractive to exclude 275 entries, even less if they are not expert users.

That's just my opinion though and still convinced that we are on the right track.
    Cheers

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  9. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

SUMo could. You should look in file version and file description also or else lots of programms go undetected

10. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

I think the bare minimum SUMO needed was file version, then it would combine that with file name and show it anyway. (in other words it wasn't mandatory on product name of company having values).

11. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi digenfr1:

If you are using an installed version of Glary Utilites (e.g., the free Standard installer gusetup.exe) then do you know why your Glary Utilities executables are listed on the Portable tab of UCheck?

For example, what is the "normal" default installation path for Glary Utilities [e.g., C:\Program Files\Glary Utilities, C:\Program Files (x86)\Glary Utilities, etc.], and if this software isn't installed in one of these standard locations then do you have to add the path to the UCheck settings at History & Settings | Custom Locations to force UCheck to check for available updates?

I don't use this utility but I downloaded and unzipped Glary Utilities Portable v6.3.0.6 *** (guportable.zip, released 11-Dec-2023) from https://www.glarysoft.com/downloads/?p=gu-page and most of the bundled executables like CheckDisk.exe, DiskCleaner.exe etc. do not have a Product Name in the file properties (see example below), which makes them different from the executables for my other portable apps like AdwCleaner, Autoruns, etc. I don't know if the value for "ProductName" of these executables is also missing in the registry entries for the installed version of Glary Utilities and could be filtered out from detection in a future version of UCheck on that basis, but for now the workaround you suggested in post # 1233 to exclude these executables in UCheck is probably the best you can do for now.

*** NOTE: If you are still using v6.2.0.5 then you don't have the latest available version. Release notes for v6.3.0.6 are posted at https://www.glarysoft.com/glary-utilities/download/.

Glary Utilities Portable v6_3_0_6 CheckDisk_exe Properties No Product Name 13 Dec 2023.png
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 * Firefox v120.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2201 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable BETA v5.0.7.0 (05-Dec-2023) * QuickInstaller Preview v0.2.8734.36059

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  12. RonnyT

RonnyT QA Engineer

Is it just me or did the "Community list" on the main UI shrink to 2463, AFAIK this was over 50k entries a while a go
    Is the BETA version talking to a different set @Tigzy ?

13. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

14. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Also noticed that.

15. digenfr1

@lmacri
    Hi there,
    The new version of Glary (6.3.0.6) was made available early this morming for me.
    I will have a look at the portable version in the next days.
    Cheers

16. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi digenfr1:

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting you switch to the Portable (.zip) build of Glary Utilities. I only downloaded the Portable version for my test because I don't normally use Glary Utilities and didn't want this software installed on my system. Installed software will often leave behind stray registry entries and disk files when they are uninstalled and I didn't want to have to run Revo Uninstaller Free to try and clean the last traces of Glary Utilites off my system once my testing was finished and I no longer needed this software.

I only wondered why your Glary Utilities executables are appearing on the Portable tab of UCheck (as shown in your images in post # 1208 and post # 1209 - see edited image below). I would expect those executables to be listed on the Installed (Installato) tab of UCheck if you have installed Glary Utilities in the default location [e.g., somewhere like C:\Program Files\Glary Utilities, C:\Program Files (x86)\Glary Utilities, etc.].

Glary Utilities v6_0_2 digenfr1 Installed Version on UCheck Portable Tab 12 Dec 2023.png
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 * Firefox v120.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2201 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable BETA v5.0.7.0 (05-Dec-2023) * QuickInstaller Preview v0.2.8747.26076

17. digenfr1

@lmacri

Hi lmacri,

This is a valid point.

I don't think it has anything to do with my choice to install utility programs outside of the directories normally used by the installation paths. I use C:\Programs (x86) or C:\Programs only for system-related programs, like Java, Intel. NVidia, etc.

Glary is not the only case; I have found other programs in this condition. Calibre for example (installed normally) has 20 items in the same situation as Glary that most probably will be prompted as soon as a new Calibre update will come.

On the other hand, I also found 67 items (which I removed yesterday) related to Java (JDK, JRE) which are instead installed with a standard approach in C:\Programs.

At the moment I have no idea or guess.

18. ldeveraux

ldeveraux Registered Member

If I start UCheck fom scratch and view my exclusions list, utorrent isn't there. I then exclude it and it's on the exclusions list. when I restart it's missing again. Running latest free version 5.0.6.0

19. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Well, excuse me, a lot in my mind right now, but I still don't understand why you say Glary is detected as "installed" in the portable section ?

20. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

We cannot use File description as program name, those programs need to fix their installer. That's not how it's supposed to work, I mean there's rules when setting up file version...

21. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

I don't know, it displays 71,380+ at the moment ... Do you still see it ?

22. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

I'm looking at the github, no worries. If it's still opened, then it will be taken care off.

23. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Ok, so new beta is out !
    As usual, please use this link to report bugs: https://github.com/AdliceSoftware/UCheck/issues?q=is:issue+is:eek:pen+sort:reactions-+1-desc
    /!\ Please, do not report detection / version issues there, or they will be closed. It's only for bugs / features.
    Download link as usual is on the main page: https://github.com/AdliceSoftware/UCheck

This new BETA fixes most of the above +:
    - Exclusions refactoring: Now has different types (file, folder, program). Downside is the old exclusions are wiped.
    - Added ability to remove installed entries (new context menu entry)
    - Added ability to detect and remove orphan entries

24. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi digenfr1:

Sorry, I can't say because I've never installed an application in a custom location that does not use the default location recommended by the installation wizard [e.g., C:\Program Files\..., C:\Program Files (x86)\...]. All I know is that if you add a custom location in UCheck at History & Settings | Custom Locations (e.g., like the E:\Portable folder where I keep all my portable apps) then it will indiscriminately scan for every .exe file located in every subfolder of that location. In future if you are having problems with an application that you have installed in a custom location then be sure you mention this in your post and include the path where the application is installed just in case it's relevant to your issue.

That being said, I think at least part of your problem with GlaryUtilities has something to do with the non-standard way that the developer is assigning the Product Name of the bundled executables. For example, my image in post # 1236 shows that the Product Name is missing for most of the bundled executables like SoftwareUpdater.exe, DiskCleaner.exe, etc. in Glary Utilities Portable v6.3.0.6. Tigzy also replied to you in post # 1226 that executables that use the identical Company Name (e.g., "Glarysoft Ltd.") and Product Name (e.g., "Glary Utilities") in the registry are identified by UCheck as the same program and are expected to have the same value for the LATEST version. If this is the case for Glary Utilities then Tigzy would have to tell you if it's possible to build a UCheck filter that could filter out the file name of every bundled executable like SoftwareUpdater.exe, DiskCleaner.exe,etc. and only scan the main executable that launches Glary Utilities. It looks like Glary Utilies bundles over 60 executables and uses file names like SoftwareUpdater.exe, DiskCleaner.exe, etc. that are commonly used by other third-party applications so I'm not sure if this is practical or even possible.

Just an aside, but are you certain that you need the Java SDK (software developers kit) and JRE (Java Runtime Environment browser plugin)? I don't visit any web sites that still require the Java RE to run a Java applet (which is different from the JavaScript support built in to browsers) and having Java on your system makes it vulnerable to attacks by Java-based malware - see the August 2023 MergeBase article The 10 Major Java Vulnerability Types that Threaten Your Software. The September 2012 PCWorld article Time to Give Java the Boot? is over a decade old but stated "Java, the programming language designed to make the web fun and interactive, has become one of the weakest links in a PC’s and Mac’s defenses against external threats....The risks don’t outweigh the rewards, security experts say. 'I’d say 90 percent of users don’t need Java anymore,' says Dominique Karg, the founder and chief hacking officer of AlienVault, a security software company...".
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3693 * Firefox v120.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.6.294-1.0.2201 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable BETA-2 v5.0.7.0 (15-Dec-2023) * QuickInstaller Preview v0.2.8748.37063

Last edited: Dec 17, 2023
  25. digenfr1

@Tigzy

Hi there,
    This is the situation I'm facing: The program shown hereafter are not portable, but installed with a normal installation process.

cattura00.png

When I look in the portable tab, this is what I can see
    cattura01.png

in addition, this time using calibre as an example, this is what I see

cattura02.png
    So, I find all the *.exe files.
    I don't want to get boring or repetitive, but in my opinion all these "normal" installations should not be visible here, at least according to logic.
    As shared in post 1233, from a logical standpoint, in the Portables tab, only portables and executables without an installation process should be listed.
    Again, this is only my opinion.
    Thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.