UCheck - Update your software in 2 clicks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 5, 2018.

1. BRO

BRO Registered Member

Hello,

Is it possible to add a checkbox for Community programs so I can Select/Exclude many of them at once and not go 1 by 1? I get like 300 programs, many are duplicates.
    Please check the image below.

https://i.imgur.com/5RC3Elj.png

2. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Greetings !
    We looking to fix issues with network calls, and looking to find somebody having that kind of issues in the logs :

Code:
    2023/09/29 15:39:28:CRITICAL    [CurlHelper::Download] Error (HTTP:403) on https://[...]
    2023/09/29 16:34:48:CRITICAL    [CurlHelper::Download] Error (CURL:6) on https://[...]
    2023/09/29 16:34:48:CRITICAL    [CurlHelper::Download] Error (CURL:28) on https://[...]

Log file being here:
    C:/ProgramData/UCheck/Debug/UCheck_debug.log

3. Bill H

Bill H Registered Member

@Tigzy

I am getting these errors sometimes, but not lately. The last time I got them was on January 5th. I seem to get them every several weeks or so.

Bill

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  4. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi @Tigzy :

Like BillH, these CurlHelper errors only occur on my system about once ever week or two. The last occurred on 03-Jan-2024 when I was using the stable release of UCheck Free Portable 64-Bit v5.2.1.0.

Do you only want debug.log files that log these CurlHelper errors on every scan, and what is the best way for users to submit them to you? I received an error when I tried to attach my 4.4 MB log to this post because it is too large, and you cannot attach .zip files in this Wilders Security forum. I also don't use a cloud service like OneDrive or DropBox where I could share this file.

In the mean time I've uploaded my current debug log <here> as a .txt file on the free MediaFire file hosting service in case it's of any use to you.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3930 * Firefox v121.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2242 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable 64-bit v5.2.2.0 * QuickInstaller Preview v0.2.8748.37063

5. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

6. john7

john7 Registered Member

With my two laptops both have lost there registration and switched to free rather than Premium. With both I had to delete the Machine ID to be able to get the licance going. The last one I had to do a full uninstall to get the reinstall to accept the licance and address. It does occur to me is this due to wi fi or Ethernet being the connection? If so it needs sorting out fast as its a lot of messing about if this is going to happen every time either laptop is used away from home and moved back again. No other program I have ever had has this problem.

7. dking02

dking02 Registered Member

Tigzy,

You closed the related GitHub issue #15 (False Detection of PowerShell) last week with the entry "Should be fixed now".

As shown in the screenshot below, UCheck continues to erroneously identify an update to v7.4.101.0 although PowerShell was added as compatible program and is listed on the Download tab with the correct latest version 7.4.1, 11 Jan 2024 and that is the version (7.4.1.500) installed on my machine.

As also noted in my previous post, the version number of the obsolete release candidate v7.4.0-rc1 was somehow listed in the UCheck DB as both 7.4.101.0 and 7.4.0.101, although I recollect that it installed as 7.4.0.101 when I downloaded it from GitHub a couple of months ago. The transposition of the last two parts of the version number would give rise to the problem noted in item (3) above and that we're seeing here with 7.4.101.0 capturing the latest version indefinitely. v7.4.101.0 needs to be purged from the UCheck DB and the transposition of the version number avoided in the future.

UCheck_PowerShel_Updatel - 20240117.png

8. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Just an FYI that the developer of WhyNotWin11 has now added the value "Robert Maehl Software" as the COMPANY name for all WhyNotWin11 v2.6.0.0 executables (see the 17-Jan-2024 change log at https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases/tag/2.6.0.0) but UCheck v5.2.2.0 still does not display the STATUS or LATEST version number for my WhyNotWin11 Portable v2.6.0.0 executables.

UCheck v5_2_2 WhyNotWin11 v2)6_0_0 Part A Latest Version Missing 17 Jan 2023.png

UCheck v5_2_2 WhyNotWin11 v2)6_0_0 Part B Company Version Added 17 Jan 2023.png

I don't know why UCheck is still classifying WhyNotWin11 Portable as "Unsupported" instead of "Community" and my initial bug report at https://github.com/AdliceSoftware/UCheck/issues/28 has been closed with the explanation "Yes, unfortunately programs having no Company Name / Program Name / Version Info cannot be classified, and therefore won't have community update. That's something only them can fix by putting proper version info" so I'll post a new bug report at https://github.com/AdliceSoftware/UCheck/issues in the next day or two if this problem doesn't resolve itself after a few more UCheck scans.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3930 * Firefox v121.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2242 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable 64-bit v5.2.2.0 * QuickInstaller Preview v0.3.8782.14406

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  9. dking02

(1) My response in item (1) was to the originator's (a former SUMo user) question: "Is there a simple way to run a program marked as needed updating?"

The question was specifically about running the program. It was possible to run an installed or portable program from the SUMO display and I assumed the the originator was interested in running the internal "Check for updates" function of the program if now using UCheck. SUMo did not provide much support for downloading or installing updates. However, many former SUMO users are primarily interested in update notification, preferring manual updates downloaded directly from the developer's site or provided via the program's internal update function to downloading and installing updates automatically through third party software updaters.

(2) The single scan function in SUMo could be used without having to perform a preceding full scan and thus allowed the user to quickly check for an update to a specific program. It could also be used to manually refresh the affected row in the SUMo display after performing a manual update of a program.

I usually use UCheck (along with the daily list of program updates on majorgeeks.com) for update notification only. However, I did update Notepad++ from 8.6.1 to 8.6.2 using Ucheck v5.2.2 to check the automated rescan feature. Below are screenshots of the BEFORE and AFTER versions of the entry for Notepad++ on the UCheck Installed tab. I noticed the following two anomalies:

(a) In the BEFORE screenshot, Notepad++ 8.6.1 is listed as "Outdated" with an installed date of 1/4/24. However, the actual installed date for 8.6.1 on my PC was 1/6/24 and its official release date listed on the developer's site was 1/5/24. As another example, consider WinDirStat 1.1.2 which has an installed date of 7/1/05 in my UCheck display when it was actually installed on 4/1/23 on my desktop PC (new 2022). The 7/1/05 installed date reported by UCheck is the release date of WinDirStat 1.1.2 (its latest release, 18.5 years ago). The installed date listed by UCheck, at least for compatible programs, appears to be coming from the UCheck database, not from the user's actual installation date for the program as reported in Programs & Features.

(b) In the AFTER screenshot, the installed version of Notepad++ has been updated to 8.6.2 but the Status still remains "Outdated". If the update has been successfully installed, the Status should also be updated to "Latest".

UCheck-NotepadPP-After.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  10. Hans Rapp

Hans Rapp Registered Member

@dking02
    Make a new Scan with Admin-Rights :)
    BTW: If you are using a 64bit system you can also use the 64 bit version of Notepad++ ;)

11. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Good news. As of today UCheck v5.2.2 is now detecting my WhyNotWin11 Portable v2.6.0.0 app as a "Community" program and correctly shows that v2.6.0.0 is the latest available version. My 14-Jan-2024 WhyNotWIn11 bug report Issue # 736: Missing Company Name in WhyNotWin11.exe Digital Certificate Causes Issue with Software Updater has now been closed.

Kudos to Robert Maehl for adding the COMPANY name to the file attributes / digital signature of his WhyNotWin11 executables so quickly.

UCheck v5_2_2 WhyNotWin11 v2_6_0_0 Part C Company Added Now Community 18 Jan 2023.png

I filed a similar bug report for BleachBit (see Issue #1629: Missing Company Name in bleachbit.exe Digital Certificate Causes Issue with Software Updater). That program has a large backlog of open bug reports but I'm hoping that Andrew Ziem will eventually add a COMPANY name to his BleachBit exectuables.
    ------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3930 * Firefox v121.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2242 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable 64-bit v5.2.2.0 * QuickInstaller Preview v0.3.8782.14406

12. dking02

In item (2) of my post, I was discussing the automatic rescan function that Tigzy mentioned was added to UCheck's update function (in v5.0.5?). Prior to addition of this feature, it was necessary to run a full rescan to update the Install tab display after updating a program using Ucheck. As noted in the post, I found that the version number was updated but the status of the updated program was not changed from "Outdated" to "Latest" and therefore a full rescan was still required. I ran a second test with admin rights in response to your post and results were the same, except now the installed date did not change to reflect the current date, demonstrating that UCheck is not reporting the installed date of the update but rather the UCheck's original release date of the update. Since I normally don't use the UCheck's Updates tab to download and install updates, this auto-rescan feature does not apply . Since Ucheck does not have a separate single program scan feature like SUMo, a full manual rescan is required to update the UCheck Installed tab after updating a program manually.

I am currently using 64-bit Windows 11 Pro. However, since I am using a relatively old Notepad++ plugin which I knew worked well with 32-bit version of Notepad++ under 64-bit Windows 10, I installed the same 32-bit version of Notepad++ when moving to my current PC to minimze the likelihood of a plug-in incompatibility. I will probably eventually switch to the 64-bit version of Notepad++ but don't expect any significant difference in performance since Notepad++ is not a demanding application, my current PC is relatively new, and my text files are not large.

13. dking02

As of 26 Jan 2024, the problem reported above appears to have been fixed. The erroneous notifications to update to the old PowerShell v7.4.0-rc1 release have ceased.

14. Hans Rapp

Hi, I have been receiving the error Network error for hours during the scan. My Internet connection works perfectly. Is there anything known. I am using the free version 5.2.2.0

15. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi Hans Rapp:

I live in Canada and 64-bit UCheck Free Portable v5.2.2.0 is running normally on my Win 10 Pro v22H2 machine.

What antivirus do you use? If the problem persists temporarily disable your antivirus real-time protection and/or firewall and test UCheck again just in case a recent update to your antivirus product or virus definitions have created a conflict.

If that doesn't help and the problem persists for more than a day or two you might want to report your problem in the UCheck forum at https://forum.adlice.com/index.php?board=4.0 or file a formal bug report on the UCheck GitHub issues page at https://github.com/AdliceSoftware/UCheck/issues. Be sure to attach copies of your latest scan log (History & Settings | Reports) and debug log (at C:\ProgramData\UCheck\Debug\UCheck_debug.log).
    -------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3930 * Firefox v122.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2249 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * 64-bit UCheck Free Portable v5.2.2.0 * QuickInstaller (Preview) v0.3.8787.28825

16. Hans Rapp

Hi lmacri, Tx for your answer. 64-bit Free UCheck v5.2.2.0 ist running here on my Win10 Pro v 22H2 Desktop Computer.
    I m using no Extra Anti Virus. MS Defender and my own caution are usually enough. The event has not appeared again today. So the problem is no longer a problem.

17. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I have one portable program, Emsisoft Emergency Kit. UCheck is alerting me that there are 4 updates. They are a2cmd.exe, EmDmp.exe, EmsiClean.exe, and StartScanner.exe. Is anyone else experiencing this, and if so have you been able to update the 4 files? If you did update them how did you update them? To my knowledge, I have an up-to-date free copy of Emsisoft Emergency Kit. As always I will appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

18. Steve Hoek

Steve Hoek Registered Member

Kind of gone dead in here since the holidays.... curious what the roadmap for UCheck is? I for one would love to see them add VERSIONINFO scanning to non-portable programs (SUMo's secret weapon, imo), as well as better support for different release channels for apps (eg: beta, canary, etc)

19. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just in case it is relevant to your issue, Emsisoft Anti-Malware itself had updates to a new build yesterday

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/blog/45321/new-in-2024-2-giving-you-more-control-over-your-data/

20. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

I don't know, for this one I only have this version registered, and it has 6.5k hits...
    Would be great to know if someone else has this software installed (GOG Galaxy)

21. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

That happens if you reinstall Windows, or change your disk OS. If you still have issue, please open a support case as it will require some more investigation.

22. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Currently no, because we don't always know what the main program is.

We'll think about it, however it would not be in the "Updates" tab as this reflects a scans' results.

Yes this is expected, but agreed not optimal. The "Installed" tab reflects the scan's result, not the updates results. We'll try to see what can be done

23. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Hi, are you still receiving this issue ? We're lacking information as to why this happens and looking to work with somebody to fix it.

24. Tigzy

Tigzy Developer

Sorry for the lack of information. We've spent the last few months on UCheck only, and now we're sprinting on our other software, like RogueKiller, and on updating Documentation.
    The roadmap for UCheck is the following:

Code:
    - Improve common core ("Real" portable, Technician features, performance, etc...)
    - Per-item refresh / refresh after update / reload last scan results at startup
    - "Compact" updates view
    - Optimize server communication (zip'ed)
    - Support WinGET
    - Support WindowsApps

25. lmacri

lmacri Registered Member

Hi Steve Hoek:

Could you clarify what you mean by adding "VERSIONINFO scanning" to UCheck for installed programs, and why you think the method used by SUMo was superior to the method used by UCheck?

I'm also an ex-SUMo user and I'm not exactly clear how UCheck determines the VERSION of an installed program (i.e. the version currently installed on the user's computer), but Tigzy's 07-Nov-2023 post # 810 suggests that UCheck uses the version number of program's uninstaller that is stored in the Windows registry rather than the file version of the actual .exe executable file in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86). Is your concern that the file version of the uninstaller might not be revised by the program developer each time they release a new .exe file for their program?
    -------------
    Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3930 * Firefox v122.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23110.3-1.1.23110.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2249 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783 * UCheck Free Portable v5.2.2.0 * QuickInstaller (Preview) v0.3.8787.28825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.