Toolwiz Time Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by sg09, Dec 1, 2011.

1. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I don't know any way...
    Maybe it doesn't commit any change immediately - maybe after reboot, and if it has the cache full Data Corruption issues comes out when working.
    TTM and TTF together is not recommended by developer. But I use it together since I'm always in freeze mode; sometimes a BSOD comes out with TTM driver the culprit (not a problem to me however).
    Using only TTM (that is nice to test software or another thing that needs to reboot or to try it for some days), is not practical once their snapshots stay full (and deleted oldest) quickly.
    I don't believe TTM will have any update in future...
    Developer is working - and enjoying - with smartphones applications...

2. jpc204

jpc204 Registered Member

I've got a virtual machine that I want to make completely stateless with timefreeze.

When it starts, can I set the timefreeze cache to 100% of the system freespace?

Or does there need to be free space on the system to support operations that aren't cached? If so, what are those operations? Page file? What is the threshold for the timefreeze cache size.

Up till now I have been setting the timefreeze cache to 1/2 of the free space under the assumption that the writes actually have to be done to free space and cached in the timefreeze cache. Unfortunately the result is that users don't understand why their apps crash due to out of disk space (in this case timefreeze cache) when they still have 1/2 their free space available. Also apps/windows can't warn the user because they think there is still plenty of disk space.

I looked for documentation about timefreeze but came up empty so I'm hoping someone on the forum can help. Thanks in advance.

A separate question but along the same topic, if a file is created and then deleted, is the net write to the timefreeze cache 0 or double?

Thanks.

3. jpc204

jpc204 Registered Member

anyone?

4. Optimistic

Optimistic Registered Member

if a file is created and then deleted, is the net write to the timefreeze cache 0 or double?

From my own experiments, I've learnt that if I create a file and then delete it, the TF's cache is increased on creation but not decreased on deletion. Unfortunately in the current version, there is no way to find how much cache has been used - so the net write to the TF's cache 0 or double cannot be exactly measured. :(

5. tommygun

tommygun Registered Member

....... I'm having a question regarding Toolwiz Time Freeze 2017.

How does it work if software is installed that needs a restart while Time Freeze is running ...?...

6. mood

mood Updates Team

If the software is installed within a TimeFreeze-session, the software is not retained after a reboot.
    If software needs a reboot you can try to install it in a VM for testing it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

tommygun, programs like TimeFreeze dont work for testing programs that require a reboot.

Bo

8. tommygun

tommygun Registered Member

....... thanks for your replies.
    Can someone recommend a freeware for Windows 10 that can take snapshots other than RX Rollback Home ...?...

9. Optimistic

Optimistic Registered Member

bjm_, any news regarding the new version of Toolwiz Time Freeze?

What is changed between Time Freeze 2016 and 2017 other than some GUI cosmetics and a notice "Only free for non-commercial users"?
    Is there any changelog for the TF 2017?

10. jurasjo

jurasjo Registered Member

There is a bug in this software.

After installation with password protection You can simply run installation again and password can be simply changed/ protection removed without knowing previous password!