Sandboxie Plus 1.0.0

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DavidXanatos, Nov 17, 2021.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

R U Serious?!

upload_2021-11-19_19-38-36.png

SbieCtrl.exe has a similar ugly and unprofessional looking focus rectangle

upload_2021-11-19_19-39-55.png

So why not use sandman.exe, if booth have this UI characteristics?

2. Monica2000

Monica2000 Registered Member

I´m using this for years and never had a problem.

SB Plus is looking really nice nowadays.

3. Monica2000

Why ClosedFilePath=C:\Program Files\Sandboxie-Plus\ & ClosedFilePath=C:\Windows\Sandboxie.ini are not respected using the most secure box?

In the past I had that folder and file inaccessible so that no program could access them and everything worked fine.

4. Melionix

Melionix Registered Member

I think at this point it would be a good idea to bury Sandboxie-Classic. The UI is frankly terrible and I personally think it would be a good time for everyone to switch, given since the 1.0 release is a major one.

5. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

I'm frankly surprised that worked at all the process must be able to access C:\Program Files\Sandboxie-Plus\ to load SbieDll.dll
    did that changed for you in the 1.0.0 build or before?

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, but the thing is, it doesn't actually become visible until you click on the GUI which you don't have to since all sandbox settings are accessible from the menu-bar in SBIE Classic. In SBIE Plus that's not an option and you even get to see it in the trayicon! Of course I know it's not your fault, it's the fault of whatever idiot decided to implement this ''feature'' in Qt and Windows.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

No need to burry it, unless it's too hard for David Xanatos to maintain them both. And I do agree that SBIE Plus actually looks nicer than the Classic version besides the ugly focus rectangle.

8. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Disagree

9. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Well as said Qt is open source and customizable, it is surely somehow doable, its just 0 priority.
    But I see it seams to be very important for you, so if you check out my patreon page (https://www.patreon.com/DavidXanatos) the two highest tears offer small and not so small customization on request, so if that's really so important you can get me to fix this by becoming a patreon subscriber.

Cheers
    David

10. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Ditto

11. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I'm totally with you.

12. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

May Inquire what's the appeal of the old classic version?

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Classic Sandboxie Control / tray menu appeals to me.
    Most of Plus Sandbox Manager presentation/settings/options feel over my pay grade.
    Sandbox Manager tray menu has more levels with features I do not use/understand.
    I think of Plus Sandbox Manager as Advanced user view/dialog.
    I think of Classic Sandboxie Control as Basic user view/dialog.
    Note: I install Plus. I run Classic Sandboxie Control / tray menu as daily rider. I'll refer to Plus to see what's what. I feel more comfortable with Classic UI as daily rider.
    My two cents are for Plus installer with SbieCtrl.
    My four cents are for whatever is best for Sandboxie+

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  14. Monica2000

I don't know in which version it changed, but I noticed it yesterday while testing the more private and secure type of box. I have tested with 0.9.8d version and the same behavior is observed.

I always had those two lines in my GlobalSettings section and everything worked fine as long as the main file and program folder were inaccessible to processes started inside boxes.

The question I have is if lately the program internally is preventing blocking those two locations. In that case it would be convenient to revert to the previous state as I consider it is much safer if programs running inside boxes cannot access the main configuration file.

15. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

If a user installs the Sandboxie Plus-version he or she can still use the Classic-version. Look for SbieCtrl in the Sandboxie Plus-folder and make for example a desktop shortcut.

16. Monica2000

At first I was reluctant to use the plus interface, but it has improved a lot lately, it looks nice and in this I agree with you: the classic interface should be buried.

17. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

bjm_'s post #63 pretty mush states it for me, however maybe I am too lazy to take the time to understand the newer version. Just don't feel the need. Thank you David for the work you have done with both versions.

18. deugniet

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This is the key to understand such appeal to Classic @DavidXanatos

20. deugniet

Why not give the user a choice during the Sandboxie Plus-installation? Like: Do you want the Plus or Classic UI?

21. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

I'm with you

22. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Me too, at least for the time being. ;)

But I can tell you from my own experience that this needs not to be a reason to avoid the change to the Plus version (I refer to version 0.9.8d):

If you transfer your ini-file from the Classic to the Plus version (something you are asked about during the installation process) you can seamlessly continue to use Sandboxie as it was with the Classic version. You are not affected in any way by the new features of the Plus version.

Until now I realized only two differences after changing to the Plus version:

- A different (and to my mind more beautiful) user interface. (But - as already mentioned above by other posters - you can stay with the UI of the classic version too, if you prefer [by starting the SbieCtrl.exe in the folder Sandboxie-Plus].)
    - Two minor issues: The shortcut to the favorite browser is not kept in the Plus version, but you can create it manually (as described somewhere above). And a (quite unimportant) issue after the first start of Windows [described here] (which may have to do with my computer only).

But for those who are concerned about the continuation of the Classic version, here is an encouraging statement of David about this question:

It's a post from last December (orginal here), so I do not know if this is still David's position.

23. Peter 123

Concerning the tray menu (I assume that is what appears with a right click on the tray icon of Sandboxie):

@bjm_ , do you refer to version 1.0.0 of Sandboxie Plus? In version 0.9.8d I not see such additional levels with features.*

Here the "regular" tray menu with the Plus version (0.9.8d):

SBP.jpg

And here the "classic" tray menu (again with the Plus version, when starting the SbieCtr.exe):

SBC.jpg

The second one is in German, but the options in both menus are corresponding.

*) PS:
    I just tested version 1.0.0 of Sandboxie Plus. It does not work at all on my computer (a lot of error messages, not able to start the browser in the sandbox). So I am back to 0.9.8d. But the tray menu in version 1.0.0. looks exactly as in my above picture of version 0.9.8.d.

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

try right click DefaultBox
    png_12715.png

25. Peter 123

Ah, thank you. Yes, after right click on a box name there are some additional features compared with the classic tray menu.

I must admit that already in the classic version I ignored almost all of these menu entries and did not even understand their meaning (I refer to the ones connected with a certain sandbox). ;)

So what you write for the new version applied to me already in the past:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.