HitmanPro.ALERT Support and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by erikloman, May 25, 2012.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Really?! Did you enable Ransomware Protection as well?

- Dave

2. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

I have been a member of the Virtualbox forums for a while, and there has been a long running thread since Oracle began enforcing hardening. Various AV's and Malwarebytes have triggered this bug. This has at times caused issues with corrupted Windows host certificates database. In my previous experiences, just uninstalling the offending application and rebooting resolved the issue. What is concerning about the latest problem is that I had to roll back Windows as wello_O

Virtualbox checks to see if the program that wants to inject into Virtualbox is signed with an authenticity certificate. If it's not, Virtualbox won't start.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

As soon as I enabled Exploit Protection Firefox stopped responding on this machine. I won't run both together again! :rolleyes:

4. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I am surprised :)

5. test

test Registered Member

i don't bump into such behaviour (host: 10 x64 AU)

6. guest

guest Guest

Sooner or later there could be some problems (performance loss, not responding PC, ...)
    The developers do not "recommended" running both at the same time and HMP.A already covers the functionality of MBAE (the same goes for the Anti-Exploit component of MBAM 3)

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One running HMPA with MB3, I don't disagree. But a couple of comments. I've turned off all MB3 AE protection except on IE protection, and since I don't run IE it shouldn't be an issue. Also on the Firefox issue, before this even was a question I've stopped using Firefox. There have just been too many issues for me with FF, and I gave up on it.

One other thing I tried, and I don't know how valid this is, but I ran the HMPA test tool, and it failed on a lot of the tests.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The recommendation is to not run more than one anti-exploit tool at a time. Currently when MBAM v3.0 is installed all protections are enabled, so the anti-exploit component has to be turned off manually. Also when any of the protection components are off MBAM shows a warning and nags with a pop-up from the tray icon. MalwareBytes has acknowledged the issue and implied that there would be solution in a future build, possibly the ability to detect HMPA and turn off anti-exploit automatically.

9. Tinstaafl

I see in your signature that you are running HitmanProAlert 3.5. I had no issues with either that version, or with 3.6.0 that I am currently running. It was only the upgrade to the latest release 3.6.1 Build 574 that caused the conflict with VirtualBox. It required a complete HMPA uninstall, plus a Windows system restore to resolve.

On Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1511 (OS Build 10586.679)

10. test

test Registered Member

fixed :)
    ok

By

11. Tinstaafl

So, are you running 3.6.0 or 3.6.1o_O

My problem is temporarily fixed by rolling back to 3.6.0. But I will be stuck here and cannot update further until I know what is going on.

12. test

test Registered Member

the latest (3.6.1 574), OS_14393.576

13. Tinstaafl

What version of VirtualBox are you running?

I'm still on Vbox 5.1.6, but I see that they have an update available. This issue typically is not caused by VirtualBox, but due to hardening, it just refuses to run if it thinks any DLLs are unsecure. That is usually caused by a 3rd party security software.

14. test

test Registered Member

for each software installed on my system, always the latest stable release (VBOX: 5.1.10 r112026)

15. Tinstaafl

I can only guess now that the biggest difference is with our host Windows 10 versions. I see that you are running the 2016 Anniversary Update, while I am still sitting on the fully patched and supported fall update from 2015. I saw recently that the Windows 10 AU version 1607 has now reached CBB (Current Branch for Business) status, so as soon as I have the time I am planning to upgrade to AU. Will test HMPA again after that. Thanks for the info!

16. test

test Registered Member

this is exactly the reason why a user should always specify the exact branch of the OS before to report a bug (or issue) here:
    10, infact, is connected to a lot of degree of change each with is own peculiarity (IMO :) ...and sorry for my poor english)

Image 2.jpg

17. Tinstaafl

Updated my sig with my Windows 10 version. But this does bring up the possibility that HMPA is only being tested for compatibility on the latest public Windows 10 build.

Microsoft will keep supporting the most current 3 releases of Windows 10, for all editions. Business (Enterprise) users are not likely to upgrade to any rolling release of Windows 10 until it reaches CBB status. So they will remain one release behind the Home and Pro users that are running the latest public release. I prefer to remain one release back, for stability reasons.

Here are the versions of Windows 10 to date:
    • 1507 -- the original version of Windows 10, codenamed Threshold 1, OS build 10240
    • 1511 -- the "Fall Update" later renamed "November Update," codenamed Threshold 2, OS build 10586
    • 1607 -- the "Anniversary Update," codenamed Redstone 1, OS build 14393
    And the widely expected (and already named, internally):
    • 1703 -- the "Creators Update," codenamed Redstone 2, OS build not yet determined
    CBB Promotions:
    • Version 1507, released July 29, 2015, was immediately declared Current Branch for Business, as the first of its kind.
    • Version 1511 released Nov. 12, 2015, was promoted to CBB on April 8, 2016. It spent 148 days in consumer-level testing.
    • Version 1607 released Aug. 2, 2016, promoted to CBB on Nov. 29, 2016. It took 119 days before reaching the higher level.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  18. JDBushby

JDBushby Registered Member

Hello everyone.

I'm using a licensed copy of HitmanPro.Alert (version 3.6.1 build 574).

I noticed that suspicious files are automatically uploaded for analysis when I use the "Scan computer" option from the application's front page. How can I prevent this automatic upload from happening?

Thanks for you time,

JDB

19. Peter2150

I believe that the uploading is an integral part of this tool. I would suggest just no using it.

20. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Install HitmanPro. Since you have a HMP.A license, then HitmanPro should activate with the same license.
    Go to settings, and you can uncheck the "automatically upload unknown files to the scan cloud" option.
    https://i.imgur.com/TgkqorD.png

21. guest

guest Guest

I don't have MBA3 installed, but i tried all tests and it was successfull (HMPA test tool v1.9.2.26)
    In your case, if it failed in some tests then HMP.A is "not protecting" you 100% :doubt:
    Try to run the test-tool again after you have disabled the Anti-Exploit component of MBA3 completely.
    If you see no improvement (failing tests), deinstall MBA3 and do another test.

Edit: A little misunderstanding from my side. HMP.A is working 100%, but MBAE was failing:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2016
  22. JDBushby

JDBushby Registered Member

Thanks, Azure Phoenix. I did that and it worked. Goodnight.

23. Peter2150

Hi Mood

I guess I wasn't clear. When I test against HMPA total pass. When I test against both MBAE and HMPA Total pass WHen I tests against just MBAE not all tests pass.

24. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Makes sense. Since the Sophos report did indicate that MBAE didn't have the same amount of mitigations as Sophos Intercept X/ HitmanPro.Alert.

25. TheBear

TheBear Registered Member

I have the latest beta version of hmpa installed on my win 10 (patched to date) and the the upload of firefox.exe 50.01 keeps failing. Any idea why. Or anyone else having uploads failing. This has only happened in the last few weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.