Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

December 13, I installed KB3205402, December 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework for Windows 7 x64, and also KB3207752, December 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 x64, with no ill effects.

2. Cache

Cache Registered Member

I eventually managed to install those two (plus the MSRT update) after a lot of hassle as explained in this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/microsoft-incredible-updates-already-ended.390643/#post-2638291 I=Mine also stuck trying to insatll the .NET Framework update
    (Mine was also sticking when trying to install the .NET Framework update (KB3205402), at least initially).
    It seems quite bizarre as to why I had an issue as I installed the necessary fixes in October, November updated smoothly but December was a total mess until I tried again after re-imaging.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks Stupendous Man , i'm going to update, for gennuary .. who knows:confused:

4. Cache

Cache Registered Member

My experience was very similar regarding the December .Net framework update (see post #2877) and I can't fathom out why it would eventually work if it originally failed to install.

5. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Mysterious optional Win7 patch appears in Windows Update, "INTEL – System – 8/19/2016 12:00:00 AM – 10.1.2.80" http://AskWoody.com

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Cache. I had missed your other thread.

BTW in reply # 2873 I gave a link to a recent article from Woody. It looks like it has disappeared.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...-conflict-with-sql-server-veritas-backup.html

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I noticed that optional update too.
    I am not going to install it via WU (the more not after a fiasco with another one about an half year ago via WU).

8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Stupendous Man.

9. Stupendous Man

At AskWoody.com,
    Woody wrote:

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Yep, I just saw that comment from Woody too. You beat me ;)

11. Dragon1952

Conflict reported between Dec. Security-only update KB 3205394 and Active Directory, SCCM. http://AskWoody.com

12. Dragon1952

I have 2 intel driver updates and one Alcor Micro USB Driver update from windows update waiting for me.

13. Stupendous Man

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    they are w10 updates , weird they are avaible for w7 maybe for w8 , i won't install them

15. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Win 7 (64-bit).
    I had already installed the December 2016 Security Only updates, but not yet the .NET Framework updates after previous failure, as previously mentioned.
    I looked again at what WU would offer me. It offers:

3205402 - the .NET Framework updates.
    OK, this I can understand. Although I don't know whether Woody has a final verdict posted about it, I was thinking to try to install it again.

3197868 - November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
    This I don't understand. Why do I get it offered. I thought I had hided it already.
    I looked at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3197868 .
    I see that it was last revised on 12 Dec 2016 (revision 4.0).
    At that site in paragraph "More information" I see this:
    I have to admit that I don't fully understand this. Is this related to what has been posted in this thread? It's a mystery to me. Anyone knows more? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  16. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

If it was offered to you as optional, ignore it. Any refresh to a previously released important update is offered to the testing community with a description very much like the one you have highlighted. They need to know how the new change is going to be processed. Those who install the cumulative monthly update will probably see the change implemented in the next monthly update if the tests have not caused any wide spread problems (their telemetry bots will report back to the mothership on the outcome of the tests).

17. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi emmjay,
    It was offered as important. Maybe due to its new date 13 Dec 2016.

18. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

There were a lot of problems with it when it was first released. A lot of users found it would not install at all and a few got a BSOD. That got Microsoft's attention. You said you hid it the first time around, so it looks as though MS decided to reissue it to you after the revision (Dec 13). I would not bother installing it as the next cumulative monthly will incorporate all of its fixes and this one should disappear from your list of important updates when that happens. You do not have to hide it.

If you are installing monthly security updates only, you don't need it, period. I always hide monthly cumulative updates after I install the security only updates. I have been advised that I do not have to do this, I just do it anyway.

19. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks emmjay.

=====

PS-1:
    I noticed an article with lots of comments at AskWoody:
    https://www.askwoody.com/2016/ms-defcon-3-cautiously-update-windows-and-office/
    (Not all comments are related to everyones situation so it might be a bit overwhelming; so be it).

PS-2:
    Still had troubles to install the .Net Framework December 2016 update (3205402) via WU. System ask to reboot after it finally got it, I say yes, but then nothing happens. Only after powering everything off and later start it again, will get the system back up again. Backup-images put back. Oh well, will see later what I want to do next.

20. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I've always installed all updates on Windows, never had a problem.

Last weekend I bought Windows 7 Pro, and installed all Important updates. The only "Recommended" updates installed were about .NET Framework, and there were only two of them. All the rest of the recommended updates were hidden.

Interestingly enough, I've experienced being logged in in a Temporary Profile for some reason, though I've fixed that already. I've never experienced this in Windows 7 Home Basic or Ultimate, only in Pro, and I installed this system twice and this happened in both installs.

21. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Here is the article from Woody Leonhard at InfoWorld on 3 January 2017 about the December updates:
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/3153810/microsoft-windows/time-to-update-windows-and-office.html
    Read more there.

As for the .NET Framework update(s) I quote this part of the article:
    PS:
    Maybe I will try to install the .NET Framework update(s) not via WU but via the offline installers and see how that goes. Mister X posted links here. Thanks Mister X.

22. Dragon1952

Two of the three updates have been removed today by MS so i only have one update left.

23. Stupendous Man

On two Windows 7 x64 systems, I installed KB3212646, January 2017 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
    KB3212646 contains no new non-security content, but only resolves the MS17-004 vulnerability. And as it is a rollup, it also includes the contents of KB3207752, December 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
    Last month, I installed KB3207752 without any issue, so I expected the same for KB3212646.

On one of my two Windows 7 x64 systems, KB3212646 installed without any issue.
    On the other one, after KB3212646 installation, I was not able to login in my standard user account, the dreaded "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service" issue. Eek! :eek:
    I did another reboot, but that didn't help.
    Was it the way KB3212646 messed with LSASS (Local Security Authority Subsystem Service), as mentioned in the MS17-004 article?
    I uninstalled KB3212646, and all was well again.
    I ran sfc and chkdsk, but both found no issues.
    I installed KB3212646, again.
    This time all was OK, just like on my other system. Phew!

Was it the way KB3212646 messed with LSASS, that caused the "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service" issue?
    Or .. was it the accident the day before, when I shutdown mains supply before shutting down Windows? (Yes, stupid, of course.)
    Hard to say what was the cause of the issue.
    Anyhow, all is well now.
    I just want to report, in case anyone else should encounter that same "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service" issue after installing KB3212646, or after installing KB3212642, January 2017 Security Only Quality Update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, that contains that same patch for the MS17-004 vulnerability.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

@Stupendous Man I had encountered that dreaded "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service" issue quite some time ago, many months ago in fact, on a 7 setup which only had security updates installed basically, and none of the optional updates etc. This again was many months ago, and the issue did show up many times, with an accompanying Aero graphics issue also.

Anyway, later, I rebuilt 7 from scratch using the large update rollup thru April 2016, and then installing a few other rollups to get update checking working normally again, then I allowed Win Update to install EVERYTHING else, including optional updates, and become fully updated. So basically everything was installed, no exceptions.

Since this time, I've not ever seen that issue again (even after the January 1017 updates), so I am of the opinion that something in one of the Optional updates must have fixed the issue for my machine somehow (how or which update, I have no idea). So currently, I install everything, and have no issues at all, this is the cleanest and best running 7 setup I have ever had.

25. Stupendous Man

Yes, I had noticed.
    But as I had no clue to the cause of your issue, I didn't reply.
    Good that the issue is gone.

That is one of the symptoms that accompany the "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service" issue. Login in admin account works, but Aero is dead, so you get the 'Windows classic' look.

I don't know what happened on my mentioned system, whether it was the way KB3212646 messed with LSASS, or whether it was the accident the day before, when I shutdown mains supply before shutting down Windows, but I hope never to see that "Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service" issue again.
    I had that issue for quite a while on Windows Vista, till the issue miraculously went away with switching EMET for HMPA. That episode was long enough. I hope never to see that issue again, ever!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.