Microsoft Incredible Updates: Already ended

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by razorboy, Dec 14, 2016.

1. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

I downloaded the MS security updates for W7 x64, and they will not install on any of the three W& computers in this house. ""....... due to another condition.....""

Is this a common ailment?

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I've downloaded and installed it yesterday with no problems.

3. Cache

Cache Registered Member

I downloaded the three updates for my W7 x64 system and the installation of the first update ( the monthly rollup) seemed to be OK but WU has been stuck on installing the second one, the rollup for .NET framework, for over 50 minutes now. Not sure if I should stop the installation or wait a bit longer. Grrr..... :confused:

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Are your machines using Win 7 with SP1. Make sure of it.

5. Cache

Cache Registered Member

UPDATE
    Complete disaster! I tried stopping the installation after over an hour but it still carried on in an endless loop. So I thought I would use the System Restore point that WU had created at the outset of this debacle. As it was closing the system down it was trying to install the updates and then shut down. However I could not then reboot as it was totally borked!!

Thank the lord for Macrium PE which saved my bacon! I have restored to an image I created on Sunday and all is now well after a waste of three hours. It has taught me not to rely on System Restore ever again and to make sure I do a Macrium image immediately before trying WU again.

In the meantime, I am going to pass on trying the December updates again for a while.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Alternatively, you can try installing manually if you really want or need to have your systems up to date:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...or-windows-7-and-8.387895/page-8#post-2638068

7. Cache

Cache Registered Member

I'm not sure that I do want them up to date - just secure. Apart from my system. I update my sister's with TeamViewer and cannot entertain something similar happening with hers. It seemed to be the .NET that was causing the problem and I was wondering if I tried installing the other two and leaving that one, would we still be safe?

8. razorboy

razorboy Registered Member

Home Premium 6.1.7601 SP1 Build 7601. MANUAL update.

"""Software Update KB3204805 Installation Wizard does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your computer."""

The same update worked in November.

9. Cache

Cache Registered Member

UPDATE
    Well I did my Macrium image back up and tried the WU again. This time it DID work and installed all three updates in about three minutes.
    This is a great relief but it's not doing my blood pressure any good! The other computer will have to wait.

10. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Installing the .NET security/quality update KB3210131 from WU took about 30 min. on my W7-64 notebook, with lots of error messages about IIS not being installed. The update apparently disabled WSA right-click scans for me, so I uninstalled it and WSA is working normally again.

Woody Leonhard reports that the update may also be interfering with SQL server and Veritas backups: https://www.askwoody.com/2016/net-s...over-conflict-with-sql-server-veritas-backup/

11. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Mine was the KB3205402 December Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework. Once it eventually installed, everything has seemed fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.