Avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Apr 16, 2013.

1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

avira. used to be a top-tier av back in the day. no eye candy gui, no extra tools, no launchers, no fw controls. bare av.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. m0unds

m0unds Registered Member

Argh, I'd love to see a product update with a fix for the web filter crashing. Haven't been able to use Avira on my workstation since October because of it :|

5. ance

ance formerly: fmon

... and nowadays even old Avira fans replaced it because of all the junk. :thumb:

6. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira Antivirus for Windows 2018, Version v.15.0.44.139 released on February 20, 2019.
    Product version v.15.0.44.139 (Update 44).

Changelog:
    https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1699

7. anon

anon Registered Member

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Off-topic remarks removed.
    Squabble via pm's instead.

9. bollity

bollity Registered Member

After the latest updates of Avira, Windows Defender doesn't disable itself automatically. In other words, Windows Defender doesn't recognize Avira.
    I have to disable Avira then enable it to make Windows Defender recognize it. Do you have this problem too? , or should I clean install Avira again?

10. lofac

lofac Registered Member

Just disable WD completely and be done with it.

11. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

What does rename mean in the settings for what to do on found malware?

12. lofac

lofac Registered Member

Most likely rename PE files to make it ineffective. (virus.exe -> virus.xxx)

However I've tested this option and it doesn't seem to work (for the on-demand scanner, as it seems like they've removed the option from real-time protection settings).
    I've tried in both Interactive and Automatic options, with Automatic having Rename as first action, it still quarantines the file... same with Repair first action then Rename second.
    Also, in Interactive mode there's no option to Rename, Quarantine or Delete, only Cleanup, Ignore once, Ignore always.

Isn't that weird?

13. anon

anon Registered Member

From "Help" (Help Center > Configuration > System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection) =
    ----------

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  14. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Yeah, I even unchecked quarantine after option you chose and it still sent it there with no rename.

15. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  16. popescu

popescu Registered Member

17. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  18. anon

anon Registered Member

Spotlight Alpha
    https://betacenter.avira.com/key/spotlight_alpha_open

19. ander3

ander3 Registered Member

I'm looking at installing Avira free antivirus but I read something I'm not comfortable with, so I wanted to verify it here.
    According to this review:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/avira-free-antivirus,review-2207.html

It says, "The software uploads copies of suspicious files to Avira's labs for analysis. Whatever is deemed dangerous is added to the malware-signature updates that go out several times a day to Avira's 400 million users. This data collection necessarily includes customers' system profiles, computer usage habits and browsing histories. You can opt out, but you'll need to make the request via email."

Is this correct? I do not want Avira uploading copies of files off my PC, nor do I want it to report browsing histories. No way. It says I can request to opt out, but opt out of which part? All of it? Some of it? And how would that work if I don't sign up for an account?

I was hoping Avira would work for me but not if it's going to do things like this. Can anybody comment on this?

Also I found this, which claims even when "Protection Cloud" is disabled, it still uploads files anyways. Several users have confirmed. This is worrying and makes me uncomfortable installing Avira.

https://answers.avira.com/en/questi...files-when-cloud-protection-is-disabled-70616

Also does it have pop-ups like it used to? I uninstalled Avira many years ago because of the invasive pop-ups. Is it still just as bad?
    '

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Any AV you use will have privileged access to all your files, it is a matter of mutual trust. If you think your data is too sensitive, don't use any anti malware program. I personally think they are not (AV companies) after our secrets, it is too dangerous and time consuming for them to do so, but then again, this is my take... Alternatively you can use a firewall to block any outgoing connection to the AV you are using, but it might severely reduce its efficacy in detecting new malware.

21. Tinstaafl

Tinstaafl Registered Member

I can't answer your questions specifically, but in my Avira settings under "General - Advanced protection", I have checked the option for "Confirm manually when sending suspicious files to Avira". I'm hoping that's all it takes. ;)

22. anon

anon Registered Member

23. anon

anon Registered Member

24. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

25. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.