Which one is the best uninstaller?

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, Aug 15, 2013.

?

Which one is the best uninstaller (90 days poll)?

Poll closed Nov 13, 2013.
  1. Default windows uninstaller

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. Ashampoo

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. Geek

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. iObit

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Revo

29 vote(s)
    34.9%
  6. Total

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. Wise

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  8. ZSoft

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. My uninstaller is not on the list.

10 vote(s)
    12.0%
  10. I don't want to participate in this poll.

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Also post why?

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Default Windows Uninstaller except when there is an Uninstaller listed in the Start/Programs Folder. I read somewhere that if there is an Uninstaller listed in the Start/Programs Folder that this Uninstaller may uninstall the program better than the Default Windows Uninstaller.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I believe, that many of those listed, only provide GUI for Windows uninstaller and that is it.

4. mattdocs12345

No. The above uninstallers first run default windows uninstaller and then they do a deep search for remaining files and registry entries.

5. guest

guest Guest

If I want to update a program with clean reinstall method, then it's the Windows' default uninstaller. If I want to completely get rid of the program and will never install it anymore, I'll just restore my computer to the previous state with a clean image.

Also, lol at the last choice. :D

6. mattdocs12345

Yeah but im not gonna do that 5 times a day.

7. guest

guest Guest

You test programs as your everyday tasks? Why not use a VM or Shadow Defender instead? o_O

8. mattdocs12345

Not everyday but once every few weeks I get an urge to test different programs until I find the one that suits me. SD and VM would work but I don't really like virtualization.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

To clear up a common misconception, there is absolutely no difference between uninstalling software via Add/Remove Programs or using an uninstall link provided in the Start Menu. Also, there is no "Default Windows Uninstaller."

When a program is installed via Windows Installer (as many programs are) then it will also be uninstalled by Windows Installer. If a program is installed without using Windows Installer, then there will be an uninstall program (which usually is located in the program's installation folder under Program Files/Program Files (x86) which is used. There is usually some sort of script which tell the uninstaller what files and registry key to remove. If this uninstallation script is missing then the install won't be able to remove the program - and it will have be removed manually e.g. by deleting the program's folder or using a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller which will try and find all files and registry keys used by the program.

It is important to note, that Windows itself does not keep track of a programs installation. When a program is uninstalled with Windows Installer, there will be a script which lists what files and registry entries are to be removed. Windows itself plays no part in deciding what is to be removed.

10. roger_m

I regularly install new software to try out. I used to do this just about every single day, but have cut back somewhat - but am usually installing new software at least once a week. I used to use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall software, but ended up reverting back to just using the programs own uninstallers. This was because it is much quicker, but also there usually is little benefit gained in removing the left over files and registry keys when you uninstall software. In reality while it may seem detrimental to performance to have left over registry keys, the fact is these left over keys cause no problems whatsoever 99% of the time.

My vote went to Geek Uninstaller, as I have been using it lately and it is nice and fast and has 64 bit support, which the free version of Revo doesn't have. Every now and then I give my computer a cleanup and uninstall all of the programs I have installed to test, and don't actually use. Usually I uninstall about 30 programs one after another.

11. roger_m

I can't remember offhand how effective Geek Uninstaller is compared to Revo - but I do know that it works well.

But, a few years ago (before Geek Uninstaller existed) I tested Revo and a number of other uninstallers against a variety of software, and Revo was the clear winner - finding more left over file and registry entries than the others.

12. mattdocs12345

Thank you Roger for the informative post. I do actually use Geek uninstaller along with iObit and now I am trying out ZSoft. iObit has an advantage over others in that it detects toolbars which are not detected by Geek uninstaller. Im still testing ZSoft...

13. roger_m

IObit's uninstaller is nowhere near as good as Revo (and also Revo is better than ZSoft), but it does let you select multiple programs to uninstall which are then removed one after the other which is nice.

14. guest

guest Guest

If I decide to install something new I make a backup image first and then install and sometimes install many of the same type of program till I find one I like, then I will take that one's installer and copy it to a external drive and then re-image the system drive to bring it back to it's original state and then do a complete reinstall of the program I have decided to keep, so I guess I really use a image program for uninstalling, at least at times

15. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

"I don't want to participate in this poll." Oh wait, I just did. :)

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sandboxie, Virtualbox, AX64 Time Machine, or plain old Windows uninstaller with UltraSearch and maybe registry editing.

17. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thank you.

18. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

19. guest

guest Guest

And just like the others have said, thank you so much for sharing this valuable knowledge. :thumb:

20. roger_m

You're welcome :)

21. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

For AVs, I'll use the removal tool for that AV, esp. if Windows uninstaller doesn't remove all of it.

22. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I avoid completely using programs like Revo and prefer to uninstall from Add/Remove Programs but if a program recommends to use their own uninstaller, that's what I do. Programs like Wondershare Time freeze and Toolwiz time freeze recommend to use their own uninstaller. At the bottom of the page in both liks.

http://support.wondershare.com/time-freeze/wondershare-time-freeze2000.html

http://www.toolwiz.com/products/toolwiz-time-freeze/faqs/

It would be kind of scary to do otherwise after reading their tutorial and recommendation. I think their warnings are pretty strong.

Bo

23. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I have been using Revo for the past few years and have been fairly satisfied with it after trying many alternatives, including several of those mentioned. I use Revo's default (moderate) setting as I somtimes found the advanced setting too aggressive, removing some necessary registry items!

Sadly, a great many software developers do not provide a thorough-enough uninstaller which doesn't seem to be high on their priority list. Most software uninstallers not only leave orphaned registry items (which usually doesn't impact performance), they also leave over associated files/folders!

So after uninstalling a program I always conduct a file-search (using key-names based on the software & company name) for left-over files and folders ...and more often than not I find and delete them.

Wendi

24. mattdocs12345

It was a trick!

25. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

roger_m explained very well. I thought I wanted to add just a bit more info...

There are 3 types of uninstallers

1. One that monitors the installation process (either real-time or through manual invoke prior installation)

- Total Uninstall, Revo Pro, Comodo Programs Manager, Advanced Uninstaller Pro, ZSoft, etc

2. One that does a 'scan' to find more items to remove (after using the default uninstaller provided by the program developer) OR use brute force removal method when default uninstaller doesn't work

- Geek Uninstaller, Revo Free (32-bit apps only), Advanced Uninstaller Pro, Iobit Uninstaller, etc

3. One that simply links to the default uninstaller provided by the program developer (some may add batch uninstall as an additional feature)

- CCleaner, MyUninstaller, Safarp, etc

Type 3 is the 'safest' but may miss things.

Type 1 and 2 find more than Type 3 but are prone to false positives. I don't recommend using them on installers/uninstallers that require reboot because the chances of messing something up is higher.

A good review:
    http://dottech.org/100309/windows-best-free-clean-uninstaller-program-review/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.