Experience on the Web/Internet?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by ronjor, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

How long have you been using the Web/Internet?

Ten years here.

2. Antivirus_Ben

Antivirus_Ben Registered Member

I've been on the Internet for five years.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Going on seven years this fall, if what's left of my memory is right. I found myself suddenly and totally disabled and nearly always at home, after years as a "workaholic", and net access was a blessing.

4. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I've been on the Internet 4 1/2 years.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anti virus Ben

Your website is interesting. Sorry you caught Sasser.

Nothing like a little motivation to inspire us!

6. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I've had access to the Internet since January, 2000. My first communication with people I'd never met face-to-face was in September, 2002, and I found support forums for the first time in March, 2003.:D

7. dak

dak Registered Member

About eight years on the web for me, but have been communicating by computer longer than that.

Started on Comp-U-Serve I believe in 1984 or 1985, moved to Q-Link in 1988 and stayed with them until they were absorbed by AOL (and was cheated out of my lifetime membership). Tried out Prodigy and a couple of other up-start outfits for a short while, and was a TechOp/SysOp on a few BBSes in the early to mid '90s where I discovered actual networking with FidoNet. Finally got on the web when two things happened - It was available in my area AND I could afford it!

I even surfed the web on my old Commodore C-128D using DesTerm to dial the public library and accessing the Internet through them using VT-100 emulation (text only) before getting my own Internet access.

It's been a long journey since that Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80, Model I, Level I, 4K machine that started all this for me (late '70s-early'80s?), and I don't see any end in sight yet! :D

--
    dak

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  8. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Since 1997.

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Came into it very late in 2002.....I'm STILL struggling with it.....I'm STILL trying to remember anything I do on it....and I'm still in the total dark about 99.9% of it.....but isn't it all just too wonderful for words... :D :D...I've had a lot of laughs with a lot of NICE people and wouldn't have missed this for the World....Long Live HMS Internet and all who sail in her...

Cochise, :cool:

10. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Made first contact back in 1993 (sent my first e-mail)

Online since 1998.

11. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I'm with you on that. The Internet was not expected or forecast, as picture phones were, for example. It's enabled common folks to have friends around the globe & learn about people different from us, who we'd never have met. I consider myself lucky to have seen this new form of communication come into its own, and it's only one advantage of having lived when I did, and still do. My generation was the first to have birth control pills, and one of the few to enjoy them in the years before HIV. We had the "mind expansion" and overall party atmosphere that was part of the '60s & '70s. No previous generation (and few later ones) has had the freedom to play in so many new ways.:cool:

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Well said jayzzz.....But you know what they say about the 60s....if you remember them.....YOU Weren't There!!! :D :D

Cochise, :cool:

13. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

It must be about 8/10 years or so. And what is left of my grey braincells remembers I was years on BBS with a 1200 Baud (?) modem and a 8086 XT without a harddisk. Btw. I bought my first HD for € 500. That was for the whole 10 Mb :D

Geer

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

gerardwil

My first hard drive was 40mb (compressed) and I had a whopping 4mb of ram.

I found out the hard way about the connection speeds in those days when I got my first phone bill. No such thing as a "local" connection back then.

I'll never tell how much I was charged. :D

15. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

While many of the details do elude me, I figure that since those decades were after I was born and before now, I must've been there! ;) How silly of me not to have seen that I was setting myself up for your comment by virtue of the signature line I used here for so long!:p

16. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Roughly 8 years here. The memory brain cells start "fuzzing up" some time after those AARP membership solicitations begin arriving in the mail.

It's been a great way to keep up with old friends scattered across the U.S. and is a wonderful way to locate someone. I once found a guy who'd served aboard ship in the Navy with my dad back in 1951. The guy sent me some priceless photos. Never would have happened without the Internet.

:)

17. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Not even 2 yrs. yet. :p

Can't u tell? :D :cool:

snowbound

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

AARP knows and sees all. :) And they won't let up either. Ever wonder where they get the info? :eek:

19. ssgtmax

I think the organization's run by the oldest "guy" of all....God. Ya can run, but ya can't hide! He's got the ultimate database. :D

20. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Going on five years and am JUST NOW learning anything worthwhile!! ;) I,too, got stuck with a few HUGE phone bills, until I found the right IP! Well, still not sure about that! But, it is a and can be a wonderful tool!! So glad Gore invented it:rolleyes: !

21. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I've suspected that AARP gets the information from the 'friendly folks' at Social Security, myself. I can't think of anyone else who'd know and, unlike God, would give it to the organization, along with complete mailing addresses down to the zip codes! ;)

22. ssgtmax

Speaking of Algore, he came a little unhinged today :eek: :

http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Computers_and_Technology/Computers_and_Parts/Click_Here_keyboard.gif:
    http://www.moveonpac.org/goreremarks052604.html/

Yup, between them & the IRS we're pretty much followed cradle to grave these days. Next up: computer chip implanted in the back of the neck @ birth. All relevant data & GPS signal. George Orwell was a piker.... :ninja:

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Watch the politics! :D We will be banished to the antivirus forum for two weeks by the moderators if it continues!!! :cool:

24. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Let's see.. I started in middle school, so about 1990 or so, more or less. I did very limited web browsing, a little telnet chatting, and lots and lots of Doom over the 14k with a buddy down the street :D

25. ssgtmax

Oops....you're absolutely right. I went back & read the admonishment against politics, religion, etc. My BAD! Newbie error. Won't do it again. :rolleyes: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.