Experience on the Web/Internet?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by ronjor, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

:D Well, I am deliciously aged like fine wine. How's that for starters! ;) Now you really don't want to know my age but I can tell you I remember the days of black and white TV; cadillacs with swordfish fins; and no such things as Pampers for baby diapers. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Peaches4U

We are ageless in cyberspace. Makes no difference at all. Don't you agree?

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Oh, I like that ....

Attached Files:

4. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Milk in glass bottles with little cardboard caps. :eek:
    There was also a 3-track at one time. Mainly used by the pros.

5. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

This is getting way off of the subject but does anyone remember when vinyl long play records first came out just after WW2? We thought that was a big advance in technology. And how about those first little transistor radios?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It is okay to get off topic in this forum. I sure don't mind! :)

I think those little cigarette package sized transistor radios fueled my interest in gadgets. I am still a sucker for gadgets!

7. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Little transistor radios (and Vin Scully's voice coming out of them) hooked me as a Dodgers fan when they moved West in '58. Back in the days of DAYTIME World Series games, we'd sneak a little radio into school classrooms to listen to the games. I'm sure our teachers feigned deafness....

An earlier writer mentioned hand-held calculators. When I got out of the service in '72 & returned to college, I bought a Texas Instruments TI somethin'-or-other for a hundred bucks!!! Didn't really have a hundred bucks, either. 'Bout the most complicated thing it would do was square root. Thought it was WAY cool. You can purchase 1000 times the power now for less than 1/10th that price....

If you know the terms 33 1/3, 45, & 78, then you are of my generation. An era when AM radio was pretty much all there was....

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Don't forget the 16 rpm record player speed. It showed up for awhile. :)

9. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Yup, those too -- I think they were intended for "Talking Books", given the combination of long playing time plus not much audio quality.

Sticking to records -- anyone who can remember the earliest LP's has to remember when "record albums" were exactly that, albums of 6 or 8 (or more) very breakable 78's.

Or for that matter, remember the amazement the first time you heard a stereo LP? I can remember that for many years (at least in the US), you could get most of them in your choice of stereo or mono, with the stereo being typically a dollar or two more.

Where's my cane and slippers, Martha? :cool:

10. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Ahh, 78's. 1/4 inch thick and more fragile than glass. If you were holding one and sneezed, it broke. :rolleyes:

11. greyfox

We still have some of those old 78s, singles and an album or two. A couple of years ago I gave away our old combination tv/radio/record player, so we can't play the records any more. :'(

12. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Ye gads! Mom's piles of Elvis & Tennessee Ernie Ford records next to the spiffy new "hi-fi" that allowed a stack of records to be piled on the spindle and then dropped one @ a time onto the turntable. Stereo was for "rich people".

Ya lose 3 things as ya age: 1) memory; 2)....uh, well....I can't remember the other 2. :doubt: o_O

13. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I like that thought, too--VERY much!

I was reminded, here, of the tube testers that used to be in drug stores to test TV tubes, and replace what needed replacing so the TV would stop "jumping," or whatever. Now, if a TV set stops working right, it's less expensive to replace it than to have it repaired...I don't even know if there are still people making a living as TV repair men (TV repair people would be the politically correct term now, but I've never heard it).

Also, I never would've guessed that something as sophisticated as a turntable with a cueing lever to drop the arm on the record in the right place without scratching could seem as clumsy and primitive as it now does, when compared to a cd player's controls!

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The nice thing about tubes was that you could use your tv for a heater in the Winter! :D

15. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I wonder how much electricity all that heat sucked up...plenty, I bet. But we never had shortages or black-outs!:)

16. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Who mentioned Tennessee Ernie Ford?....you just twanged the 'G' String in my single Memory cell....I remember the first Stereo we got, it was Russian 'Rigonda'....I used to lay on my back on the floor with my head on a cushion between the Speakers and listen to Ducks flying by and music and stuff....it was like having sound poured through a hole in the top of your head...was that the cutting edge of technology or what....somehow it doesn't have the same effect anymore..

Cochise, :cool:

17. greyfox

Quote by jayzzz:
    I was reminded, here, of the tube testers that used to be in drug stores to test TV tubes, and replace what needed replacing so the TV would stop "jumping," or whatever.

Oh yes, the tube testers in drug stores. If my memory serves me, most of the time when we tested the old tubes and bought a new one, the TV still wouldn't work right and we ended up calling the tv repairman anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.