Experience on the Web/Internet?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by ronjor, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Suddenly I feel SO ... mature. :eek: My daugher was born in 1970!

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Don't worry, my mom celebrates her 92 birthday today and she knows what a CD is. ;)

Gerard

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Your mom is 40 years older than I am. Heck, she's older than my mother is. I'm not sure if I feel better after reading why I shouldn't worry or not!:rolleyes:

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Don't worry I am older than you are, ;)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I resemble that too gerardwil. :D Glad to be here.

6. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

My 2 daughters were born in '79 & '80. When they were maybe 6-7 years old, one of their little girlfriends joined us @ Grandma's house. "Grandma" still had a rotary-dial phone mounted on the wall. It was fully functional, but really served as a nostalgia piece. The little girlfriend did not know what that phone was! I told her that I'd explain it right after I changed the vinyl record on the turntable....

Fossilization is a VERY slow process. We don't realize it's happened to us until the kids (grandkids) point it out in such innocent, funny ways. :doubt:

7. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

It's nice to know EVERYone who knows more than I do about these machines isn't so much younger...thank you. Since we are all the same age after living the same number of years, it does balance out.

8. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

You can count me among the Noah's-Ark generation too -- only about 18 months shy of 60.

As for ability -- well, I was considered fairly expert back in DOS days, but ever since Win became the operating system rather than running under DOS, these days I'm just one more point-and-click-and-pray user, here to learn just like the rest of us.

9. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

There are SO MANY files now compared to what there were! I used computers before I had any idea they'd eventually be connected to other computers through the Internet. Maybe starting in '88 ('87?)...I had an XL and I think I used that machine for WordPerfect 5.0, which was the first word processor I used professionally. Right around the same time, I submitted work done over a modem using Kermit! I spent a few years in the mountains without electricity, then returned to the city and to more advanced equipment in '97. I've been lost ever since. I didn't really know how lost I was until a little over a year ago, at about the time I joined Wilders.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's been a long time since I heard the word "Kermit"! And, we might all be better off in the mountains rather than frying our brains trying to protect our "data". :D :cool:

By the way, please ignore any missing words, spelling errors, or nonsensical statements I may make here. :D

11. *_*

*_* Guest

You've got some company Snowbound. Been on the net just about 2 yrs now.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Been on the net one way or the other for about eight years.

13. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Boy, I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers rotary dial and vinyl. In fact, I think I've still got an old 8-track stashed in the garage. Ahh memories. What about black and white TV? Remember when you would turn the TV off, the screen would shrink to a bright white dot in the center and slowly fade away? :rolleyes:

14. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

and u actually had to get off your butt to change the channel. ;) :D

snowbound

15. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Remote controls are great conveniences.:cool: You've brought to mind the test patterns that TV stations would put up at night when they went off the air, after playing patriotic music.:) I think an irritating noise went out on the airwaves with it.:doubt:

16. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

I was a human remote control changer for my dad back in the 50s. TV news was local stuff for 15 minutes & network stuff for 15 more. We somehow survived not knowing every single thing 24/7....

In fact, for the briefest of moments there were actually 4-track players. A few lucky friends had them as we began driving in high school. Few nowadays believe me, but I swear it's true! :eek:

17. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I think we've wandered slightly from whatever the original topic was. ;) But what the heck, this is triggering some fascinating memories.

I remember the first time I ever saw (and even better, got to briefly borrow and play with) a hand-held calculator, the proud new possession of the chief chemist where I worked at the time. I forget who made it -- simple 4-functions, fixed 2 decimals, no memory, and cost something like $150 (this was back in the early '70's). But it sure beat the heck out of those monstrous Fridens and Monroes that took up the better part of your desk space.

18. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi ronjor! :)

I started on the internet on August 2002, not long after I bought my pc. Even though the people in my circle were opposed to my buying a computer, I never regretted it! I find internet very convenient. Strangely enough, about 2 days after I had my AV sending a Ping-- sharp metallic noise coming from the CPU-- warning on a well-known music site where I was listening to music. A window popped up saying someone was reading my files!!! It was quite alarming for a beginner! :eek: It never happened after but as a new user I was amazed by all the technical possibilities , which are endless! :)

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Uguel707!

Those music sites wouldn't start with a K or N would they??

I have seen some of your art work here. Very nice! :D

Wilders is a great place to meet people from all over the world.

Nice to meet you!

20. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey Ronjor, it was a site in Montreal called Musique Plus (like Much Music). I was told by a guy that it might happen when they scan the content of their programs. And AV's can detect it but might interpret it as a hacker while it is not. Nothing big deal but how could you know when you are just starting with computers? Thank you for the nice words! :)

21. dog

dog Guest

Well, I fall somewhere in between youngist an' old ... being born in the sixties. I still have a few eight tracks too an' a reel to reel (I got seriously into music really young) ... I remember black 'n white and the lovely "dot" but do you all remember the first tv remote? ... growing up in Montreal we had 'bout 13 channels ... the remote contected to the tv via cable ... the remote itself was approx. 5x7 & 2" thick, had 13 or 14 large push buttons labeled "A","B","C" etc. LOL

Anyway, back on topic ... my first net experience was on a 386 w/ windows 3.1 ... with AOL at a friends house ... been using the net/PC semi-regularly since Windows 95, 'bout 1996 (work) ... although this is my first home PC - with net access ... about 2 1/2 years.

dog - *puppy*

22. dak

dak Registered Member

After which you had to do one of two things - adjust the rabbit ears, or go outside and turn the antenna pole (while hollering through an opened window, "How's that?"). Unless you were "rich" and had one of the motorized antenna turners....

--
    dak

23. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I hate to admit it but up in the attic I still have a four track tape player.

24. dog

dog Guest

:D and a working knowledge of Morris Code and ye' ol' telegraph machine, LOL :D ... just teasing! :D

dog - *puppy*

25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Anybody remember the first remote controls for television?
    My grandmother had an RCA television with a sound remote. The remote sounded similar to someone hitting a pipe. She was probably one of the worlds first couch potatoes.
    She never stayed on one channel over two minutes and there were only three channels! :D

Bling! Bling! Bling! She was born in 1898 by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.