Windows 8

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by crushrr, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crushrr

crushrr Registered Member

Hi after installing Windows 8 eset smart security has disappeared from my task-bar. I've checked my task manager and eset is running but I can't get it to open or work with the right click options.
    I've tried to run the repair option but it doesn't work, it says there is a connection error but I have internet connection. So I uninstalled and re-installed and this did fix the problem until I reboot, then the problem returns.
    Anyone have any idea's how to fix this problem? :(

2. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello crushrr

Just some thoughts, while you wait for eset .... Eset should turn off the windows firewall under installation, but just in case, have you checked if the windows firewall is actually turned off? Do you have any other real time protection running besides Eset, which might be blocking some of Eset's processes. ( Just in case that is it not malware that is actively blocking some of the processes. But do a deep scan with Eset, just in case. If you not already have done that :) )

Regards, Janus

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does the main gui open if you run it via the Start screen?

5. USSPalladin

USSPalladin Registered Member

I am interested in this as I am having the same problem.
    Smart Security worked fine after my initial install of Windows 8
    An update occurred and I was no longer able to access the internet.
    I ended up un installing the product.
    I re installed the product from the website using the most current version.
    Smart Security still won't work.
    Windows asks me if I want to use this app to provide firewall protection and I say yes but it still won't work and interestingly ESET doesn't even show up on my list of installed programs.
    Any suggestions, help appreciated!
    Thanks

6. crushrr

I uninstalled and installed Eset 6 beta and it worked for about 3 reboots but now it has disappeared from the task-bar again and won't open or work at all.
    I have windows firewall turned off and I have defender turned off, I can't right click a file to scan it for viruses and I think I have no virus protection. I've checked the Action centre and it tells me Eset is running and I have protection.
    I also have that problem with a notification flashing up for a split second from the task-bar, it's flashes to quick to read.
    I have Eset set to interactive mode so when a program tries to access the internet that I have not previously allowed access, it won't connect because Eset doesn't open to allow me to set options for that program.
    This is all very frustrating, I'm very happy with Eset smart security and have used it for years but now it looks like I may need to install another firewall and virus protection program.
    Any help would be appreciated.:(

7. crushrr

No it doesn't open.:(

8. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey crushrr

I do not think that malware necessarily resides on your system, and are the root for your problems, but have you run a scan with a second opinion scanner as, HitmanPro or Malwarebytes, just to be sure,...if it is possible for you as you have set your firewall to interactive mode? (both suggested scanner is fully compatible with windows 8 ...) Another suggestion would be that you restore your windows 8 to a point before your installed Eset, and from there run a scan with e.g malwarebytes, and when you will installed Eset, then install it with Deafault settings. (without changing to interactive mode in the firewall). Link to: How To Use System Restore In Windows 8 , if you need it.

Regards, Janus.. :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  9. opsmike

opsmike Registered Member

Hi everyone, have the same problem (( trying to reinstall windows - same thing, trying 5 and beta 6 version ESET Smart Security - works only up to reboot ((.
    Interesting that on my sony laptop working fine.
    Any suggestions?

10. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

I had this problem and I think it occurred after W8 got a Windows update of 5 or 6 meaty items just after installing 8. From that point I never had internet connection, and also the irritating unreadable flashing dialogue box emanating from Action Centre. The ensuing debacle meant I had to reset 8 (without all my files), and I have held off installing ESS until ESet come up with an answer.

11. crushrr

Well I'm afraid the problem is with Eset, I un-installed Eset and installed Zone Alarm free firewall and antivirus and run a scan on my system and it did not find anything and everything on my system is running as it should.
    With Eset installed Internet Download Manager did not start at system startup I would have to start it manually, also my Rocket dock would not start and I would have to start it manually. But as I said with ZA everything is running as it should.
    Janus.. I will try Malwarebytes and check.

12. dissentingoz

dissentingoz Registered Member

I am having the same problem also. I have tried the tweaks suggested above (running the 5.9 version but had the same problem with 6 RC) and will see if it helps.

All task bar icons disappear (bar one or two) and cannot load Eset Control Centre. Once ESET is working, all the icons load correctly.

VERY odd behaviour and clearly ESET related.

13. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Is there any fix for this yet?? (no ESet icon or GUI/other icons missing from notification area/ HIPS disabled/WSA disabled and cannot enable). Action Centre advised that ESS was running. I have had to remove ESS and now everything is fine. Did not get the flashing message from the action centre for the short time ESS was installed.

W8 64bit/ESS 5.2.9

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. anuraag

anuraag Registered Member

Same problem

15. anuraag

anuraag Registered Member

Problem is related to hips. I have disabled hips after installation and its working now.

16. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

excellent result!

can i just add tho, Windows 8 ('W8') in abbreviated text terminology = wait :doubt:

i doubt very much i'll ever upgrade to W8, much more likely to wait for that which follows, much like i did with vista, skipping it entirely...

jmho :)

i am a fan of ess and i believe it to be quite intuitive so it might be that microsoft needs to up its game to accommodate ess rather than ess having to backtrack or even downgrade its capabilities --- i certainly don't want that!

again, jmho

of course, i could just be full of it, but it is how i happen to feel :)

good luck to all those upgrading to W8 ... srsly, i do mean that!

17. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Good work> As a mere novice, what effect will this have by disabling HIPS, is it adviseable or what??

18. BellaBoo

per the ess help file:

Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) protects your system from malware and unwanted activity attempting to negatively affect your computer. HIPS utilizes advanced behavioral analysis coupled with the detection capabilities of network filtering to monitor running processes, files and registry keys, actively blocking and preventing any such attempts.

it seems to be pretty damned important i reckon!

19. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

So what are we supposed to do to get HIPS to work without all the trouble as it seems important. Where is Marcos when we need him??

20. BellaBoo

it would seem to me that ess needs to manifest a workaround with microsoft for the time being...

in the larger frame of stuff tho, we all need to do what we have to do to keep on top of it for ourselves!

anyone!?!?

edit naughtiness!

21. fredra

fredra Registered Member

This episode with ESET Smart Security and Windows 8 has me discombobulated.o_O
    If we did not uninstall ESET 5.X BEFORE we upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8, we got an error message in an endless loop.:mad:
    Refer to this thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2137599
    After some of us fixed that, we are now left with users having these problems.o_O
    Refer to this thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=334890
    and this
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=335252

Does this mean that we are not to install ESET SMART SECURITY 5.2.x on a Win 8 PC, until we get an appropriate response from ESET?:doubt:
    Or, we install ESET on Win 8 and hope it works?:(
    Just asking.
    Cheers

22. Bob241963

Bob241963 Registered Member

This solution is not something I can explain but it has worked for me and seems stable. I had the same problem (egui disappearing after rebooting, which only began after I installed Windows :cool:, was on the phone with support from ESET but every solution they offered failed to fix the problem (even though they were very patient and helpful).

I decided to try installing ESET to the ramdisk running on my system and the problem disappeared, the gui reappears with every reboot (both in the windows tray and when I click it to open the interface). There is a still a problem with the HIPS driver which shuts down due to a failure to communicate with the driver but it is intermittent and seems to run most of the time. I have no idea why this works, but it has for me -- could be something to do with the order in which windows loads drivers, not sure. I just use the free version of Ramdisk that AMD is offering from their site which I installed initially for my temp file and firefox cache as I use only SSD's in my system, however it has turned out to be a working fix for this issue with ESET. Make sure you enable Ramdisk to save the disk image at shutdown and to load the disk image at startup.

Hopefully ESET will address this soon and smart security will run properly on Windows 8, but for now this fix works.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  23. opsmike

opsmike Registered Member

Dude how you figured out this? :thumb:
    It works!!! Thankyou!!!

PS. about HIPS. You need to enable Pre-relise updates for ESET, and HIPS will work.
    Regards

24. Bob241963

Glad it helped. Hips does work for me but when the computer starts up it seems to shut down for an hour or so. After that it starts up and runs perfectly. I am doing the pre-release update right now hope that fixes the intermittent issue. Thanks for the solution.

25. Bob241963

I just went on the presumption that it was something to do with how the drivers are being loaded in Windows 8. I started by uninstalling my video driver but that made no difference, did the same with a couple of other drivers but still no change and then tried the option of installing eset onto the RAMdisk. Just a bit of trial and error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.