Help Please. Windows 8

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Teraclips, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teraclips

Teraclips Registered Member

Hi, I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit last night... I chose just to keep personal files and reinstalled ESET just fine though I notice that this happens
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oa0j4vv0ajzzp9v

You cant see it in the picture but that was me spamming the Prt Scr key because it blinks for a second the action center icon like it doesnt detect AV for a brief second.

Is this normal and should I wait for V6 or did I miss a step on the win8 sticky?thanks in advance

Virus signature database: 7634 (20121027)
    Update module: 1040 (20120313)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1368 (20121016)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1136 (20121017)
    Archive support module: 1154 (20121001)
    Cleaner module: 1057 (20120626)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1032 (20120806)
    Personal firewall module: 1090 (20120824)
    Antispam module: 1022 (20120601)
    ESET SysInspector module: 1227 (20120927)
    Translation support module: 1094 (2012092:cool:
    HIPS support module: 1056 (20120905)
    Internet protection module: 1048 (2012100:cool:
    Web content filter module: 1017P (20120307)
    Advanced antispam module: 1112 (20121027)
    Database module: 1024 (20121016)

2. martbd

martbd Registered Member

Eset Smart Security or NOD32 are not compatible with Windows 8 at this stage.

3. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Well they are from 5.2 but you might encounter a list of issues. Go to
    Search Tips
    Can I use my ESET product with Microsoft Windows 8?
    KB Solution ID: SOLN3093

there you will see the answers which do seem to involve a lot of faffing around to get over it.
    Wish I had known this earlier as I have spent most of two days getting W8 to work and failed and now in desperation am currently doing a factory reset!!!!

4. TravisD94

TravisD94 Guest

I made a thread about this I have the same problem, I just saw this post. I'm going to try version 6 release candidate and maybe that will help

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

We are attempting to reproduce the issue so that it can be analyzed further. Does the notification bubble briefly appear whenever you open the Action center?

6. bwb1

bwb1 Registered Member

Seems so Marcos when I had it, and it flashed on screen for a fraction of a second that you could not see what it was. Since I have done a factory reset and download ESS 5 again I do not see it anymore. I did apply the advice given in my post above though. Also as I have lost my network adaptor drivers that PC will not connect to the net if that has any bearing on your question!!

7. Ed_Spurrell

Ed_Spurrell Registered Member

I find it very strange the developers did not get ready for the release of windows 8. I am sure they had ample time to get a version to be compatible. I get the feeling they just didn't bother to take care of us :(
    When I installed the Windows 8 Pro upgrade I was prompt to download a ESET Smart Security version for Windows 8. The webpage popped up and I continued to download what I assumed was a windows 8 upgrade version of Smart Security. (BTW, I uninstalled the pervious version of Smart Security before installing Windows 8 Pro)
    When I finished installing it I got the error;

Communication with the driver failed. HIPS does not work.

Smart security continued to download the antivirus updates and popped up to say it was successful.
    I have been getting the update signatures several times a day and all seems well.
    But I still get the popup flash on my screen continuously.

The question in my mind is: Am I still protected from intrusions or is Smart Security just there for looks?
    I need an answer asap please. I need protection!

cheers

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Quite the contrary, ESET released modules with Windows 8 support added about 1-2 months prior to the Windows 8 launch. Even before they had been available on pre-release servers for a few weeks.

After installation, an update will be run and current modules downloaded and installed. If you're getting the error even after a computer restart, let us know.

As long as your ESS protection status is green and reads "Maximum protection", you are fully protected.

9. Ed_Spurrell

Thank you Marcos,
    That's great news! Thanks for clearing that up.
    I have used Nod32 for a long time and this past year switched to Smart Security. I appreciate the protection I have had up to now and will continue to use the product.
    I posted here because I am having the same symptoms of the error flashing at bottom of the screen. It don't really bother me but wanted a solution to it and wanted to know if it compromised my protection.
    Mine is green and up to date.
    ESET Smart Security 5.2.9.1
    Virus signature database: 7643 (20121030)

I have restarted the system several times from yesterday and today since I reinstalled Smart security and the popup still flashes at bottom of screen. When I open the Action Center I can see it quickly flash on the EST personal firewall. But it flashes so quick I can't read the popup.

cheers

10. Teraclips

sorry about the late reply... yes just as bwb1 wrote it does.

however, after a day or two it stopped doing that it seems like eset has "settled in" or something haha

now is working fine, so thanks everyone for the replies

11. Ed_Spurrell

Great to see it has fixed itself for you teraclips.

@ Marcos,
    If this does not fix itself over the next few days in my case, do you recommend uninstalling smart security and download fresh and installing?

cheers

12. beherebeme

beherebeme Registered Member

I have just experienced the same flash popup issue after installing my ESET Smart Security on Win8 64 bit.

My cure: Bring up the Action Window by right clicking the action centre flag in the notification then clicking "open action center". Then

Change action center settings > untick Network firewall > untick Spyware and unwanted software protection > untick Virus protection > OK.

I have not seen the phantom popup since.

One question: in the Action Center > click Security drop down arrow > what does Nwetwork access protection off mean?

13. Ed_Spurrell

Hi All,

Happy to say after 4 days the popup disappeared also and have not come back since.

cheers

14. Teraclips

nice to hear that, see is like eset has like to "settle in"or something haha

15. charlesr

charlesr Registered Member

Hi all
    I upgreaded to Win8 a couple of days ago.
    I uninstalled ESET Antivirus and then reinstalled it.
    After a lucky printscreen, I can report that the popup that appears every 5-10 seconds says:

Mine went away yesterday for a bit yesterday but is now back after I logged out to a different user and then back to the admin user.
    Win8 Pro 64bit

Whilst it would be easy to disable the notification, it worries me that it is happening in the first place.

16. charlesr

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  17. charlesr

I restarted the machine again just now (normally it stays on for weeks) and it started again....

18. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    It would appear that the previous references to Win 8 & ESET Smart Security, have been deleted o_O
    Am I to presume that any questions related to the workability, or lack thereof, between ESET Smart Security and Win 8, should not be asked in this forum?
    I find it very strange, but informative and I shall need to remember this in the future.
    I will ask the question again.... should we install ESET Smart Security on the Win 8 platform but turn off the HIPS feature in ESET?

Thanks
    Cheers :D

19. er34

er34 Guest

You can safety turn HIPS module off - generally it does not provide (so much more) protection. However, I am not sure if ESET program will not warn you about this.

As you can read: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3093

ESET current final non-beta products are not officially 100% compatible with Windows 8. Yes, it sure works but this does not make it 100% Windows 8 buddy. From what I have heard from different places and this one, ESET version 6 (coming soon in 2013) will be the one 100% compatible with Windows 8. ESET need some time fixing small problems and certify the program.

If any version or module in the ESET program causes you so much trouble that you can't stand it, simply uninstall it (temporary), use the built-in Windows Defender and wait a few weeks until version 6 final comes out or bugs are fixed with an update.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  20. fredra

fredra Registered Member

@er34
    Your response is highly appreciated.
    I think I will take your advice & wait for ESET to get the cake baked properly (V6) before installing on a Win 8 platform.
    Thanks
    Cheers :D

21. cool1007

cool1007 Registered Member

Hello, I am experiencing the exact same problem as described by OP, I get a phantom Action Center popup every 15 secs or so, and I managed to read the word antispyware so I am guessing it is the same problem.

I opened Action Center and could see there, that Action Center status changes every few seconds and for only a fraction of a second from "No issues have been detected" to something else. The only way to stop the nagging pop up on desktop is to turn off Action Center Notifications for Virus Protection, and Spyware and unwanted software protection. This bug started showing up only today, after a couple weeks of having the machine setup and ready, running ESET SmartSecurity 5.2.9.1

Just FYI, I did not do an upgrade from Windows 7 to 8, I installed a fresh System Builder Windows 8 Pro on a formatted drive.

Lets hope Microsoft finds and releases a fix soon. This is the second noob bug (missing dvd drive in registry bug being the first one) I have found in Windows since the fiasco that Microsoft Windows ME was. Feels like they rushed this OS.

Regards,

22. charlesr

From what I can see above, we just need to wait for v6 of eset AV. Meanwhile, I've disabled notifications for AV and anti-spyware apps in the control centre settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.