Avira Sp2

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Hammer, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

SP2 has been released. June 28 for English and Aug 11 for other languages.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Juha L

Juha L Registered Member

I chose not to install the Ask toolbar and I don´t want online-protection (I have enough noscript+sandboxie etc etc). But now the umbrella tray-icon looks like closed umbrella.

Says AntiVir Guard is active though, but annoying that I can´t be sure just by looking at the icon if the AntiVir Guard is active or not.

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Was surprised when updater mentioned it had 95 files needed to be installed...and I knew then that it had too be the Service Pack...and it announced that I had to reboot. Very unobtrusive and seamless. Using Avira Security Suite V 10. Sincerely...Securon

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Visit the Avira forum for posts that tell you how to get the open umbrella without the toolbar.

5. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I heard that you can customize the color of the umbrella in this version?anybody can confirm this?:doubt: :doubt:

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

As far as I can recall, today was my first time in years using Avira that I was asked to reboot my system in order to complete an update process :)

7. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

ProActive finally working ok here. :thumb:

@Kernelwars: I can't find an option to change the tray icon color.

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm at a loss as to what all the fuss is about ASK Toolbar o_O I just checked my update log, and also the registry, and theres no reference anywhere pertaining to ASK Toolbar, It says 80 files updated in 27 minutes, so where and when, are others getting this Toolbar part from? (not that I want it, just curious as how your mentioning it)

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I understand there will be a slider that appears asking if you want to install it. You can turn down the offer.

I too have the closed umbrella after SP2!

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is one thread dealing with the closed umbrella:
    -http://forum.antivir.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1090474-

Interesting that the Ask Toolbar is not "available" for Chrome :D . Just for Fx and IE.

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

how?

every time boot avira askes me to install it, i clicked always to deny
    but at every boot it askes me again

i use the personal version

and i update avira via internal update

i wonder if the new avira install file ,include the option to install Ask toolbar or not

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Didn't have to reboot, because I don't have the guard installed.
    After the update, a prompt asked me to install the toolbar now or later. Was going to chose later, but then it slid down.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

is there a tool or tutorial to get rid of Ask toolbar ?

14. icr

icr Registered Member

Thats a welcome news BTW can you give some information regarding its in realtime functionality:)

15. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

I can confirm you get a slide-up about installing the toolbar on every reboot. I’m not keen on this approach as I’ve already declined during installation.

However, i’ve already got a workaround. If you have Professional or Ultimate versions of Windows i’m sure some already know about using SRP to block avnotify to avoid the nag screen. Well if you add ApnStub to SRP you can also avoid the slide-up at every reboot.

Now some people may say you shouldn’t do this using a free product which is a fair point, but this can be a little too much in your face IMO. I own a licence for the Premium but I like to use the free version on an older laptop.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I'm going to live with the closed umbrella. Apparently, it will open if we install the bar. Just hovering over it indicates that the basic Guard is active. That's enough for me.

I haven't yet had the slider appear post-installation and a couple of restarts.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks ! :thumb:

but if i uninstall avira and install it again ,does installer give me the option to install or not ASK Toolbar ?

18. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

The SP2 (.690) installer isn’t out yet to my knowledge. But now you’ve updated if you go to Add/Remove programs and choose modify you’ll see the new installer and indeed it does give you the option of installing the toolbar or not, which isn’t ticked by default (which is a good thing). However, you will still get the slide-up at every reboot asking if you want to install it or not.

19. phr3n1c

phr3n1c Registered Member

The installer for the personal edition will follow soon (probably this or next week).

Slide up will just show up three times. Not more.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Vasa, if I were you, I'd investigate why the umbrella doesn't open. In my experience it is a sign of Avira malfunctioning. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? I have chosen not to install the search bar, the umbrella opens normally, so it isn't related to the bar. With the Premium version, I had several situations with the umbrella not opening, and it always happened when I was adding or removing modules with the change function.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hi Osaban, I posted a link to the Avira forum in which a moderator very nicely explained the whole closed umbrella thing. You are absolutely correct but that was in the past when a closed umbrella meant trouble. Now it means that you haven't installed the Ask bar and hence that aspect of Avira is not functional whereas the rest is.

I'll search for the link and post it here.

It's this: -http://forum.antivir.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1090474-

Okay, I reread your post and I'll look into the matter. Thanks!

22. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Cheers for the info. I hope it's only three times and doesn't return after a certain period of time.

@vasa1, Does it still happen if you go to Add/Remove programs and modify/change and reinstall over the top? May need to restart.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i did reboot 7 times to test and the i have still the Slide up

and i did not notice any improvements

avira guard after the boot is around 70mb -80mb after 20minutes drop down @ 16mb
    didn't find really any improvements

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  24. JimboW

JimboW Registered Member

Interesting. I never tested, once it happened twice I went straight to the SRP route. You can't delete AnpStub either because it comes back at the next update. SRP is the only way it seems.

25. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

@mantra : Please follow these steps:
    1. Select Start → Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs (for Windows XP) or Programs and Features (for Vista and Windows 7)
    2. In the list of programs, select “Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus”
    3. Click on the Change button
    4. Choose “Modify” and click on the Next button
    5. Uncheck the two boxes about Avira SearchFree toolbar
    6. Click on the Next button
    7. Click on Next and close the next window with Finish
    8. Select the Yes button to allow a system restart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.