Avira Sp2

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by The Hammer, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bollity

bollity Registered Member

If avast can offer web shield protection for free, why avira can't do the same without the Ask crap?
    note: in the feb 2011 av-comparative on-demand test avast rate was 98.4% and avira 97.5% .

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I wasn't uninstalling anything though, I was trying not to install something. I would have given an answer if I had seen one I liked. I didn't want it then or later, so closing it out seemed the most logical choice for me.

I don't like what they've done with the Personal version. I do understand their motives, but I disagree with the solution. There were other, better ways to generate the revenue. They'd have been better off informing the public that they could no longer offer Personal for free, and charge a nominal fee ($5-10) for it. Then also offer a "Light" version (perhaps with Web Guard) for $15-20. They're certainly not the first security software company to offer toolbars, or flash ads. I guess we've just come to expect more of Avira, as they weren't "like the rest of em". But overall I still feel they're a respectable company offering a great product. I think they just used poor judgment on this one, but that's been beaten like a dead horse now. The only thing left to do is make a choice. a) continue to use it and live with the Ask stuff, b) continue to use Personal but don't ever do a product update, c) buy the Premium version, d) choose another product.

Right now I'm doing "b", with the plan of possibly moving on to "c".

3. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Personally, I disagree with a "light" version. For some reason I feel it isn't really worth it...

But AVG has a toolbar, and so does Panda Cloud. Maybe they thought it wouldn't be so bad, while making a small profit. All of this makes me wonder what they have in store for Avira 11. Personal to have more features? The partnership with Uniblue used to expand and create their own registry cleaner/PC tuneup product?

4. bollity

bollity Registered Member

Avira didn't release The new installer for avira personal that include sp2 which will offer to install the ask toolbar or not as all softwares that include this crap. The reason is that they want all computers that use avira personal to be infected by the Ask crap through update with no choice to refuse.
    Ask will never be google. Ask was born crap and will be crap for ever.

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just installed Avira Premium on a relatives laptop. Is there a separate download for SP2? Or if I just run an update via the program will it grab sp2 and install it?

Thanks in advance.

6. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

You just run a manual update. :)

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

8. Trooper

If you meant program update that's what I did.

Thanks!

9. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Just make a right click on Avira system tray icon -> About Avira AntiVir Premium. If you have version 10.2.0.719, SP2 is already installed.

10. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

yeah, it makes sense, very sneaky move avira :thumbd:

11. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Take it easy, bro. We hear you. No need to make a fuss..

12. tbaer

tbaer Registered Member

I have to admit I dont like the idea of "ask" being even remotely involved. What other free anti virus would be comparable to avira? TIA

13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

avast! and Panda Cloud. The top two I would recommend.

14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

More than you think. Avast, MSE, AVG, Panda Cloud.

15. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

I dont know.. I dont like ask either but if its that bad why the leader in security market ..norton partnered with them.. Just doesnt makes sense:doubt:

16. luciddream

Even if the installer for Personal SP2 were out I doubt it'd be as easy as unchecking a box to install Ask toolbar. Those files would still be thrown back at you after every update. So I think it'd solve nothing. At least with the old version still up people can uninstall SP2, get the old one back, disable product updating and still continue to get engine & def updates. Then if you ever want to get SP2 you just enable product updating and get it.

That's what I'm doing for now. Right now my product version is: 10.0.0.648. Engine: 8.02.05.34. Defs: 7.11.10.199. I'm going to live like this for the next couple of months, until SP2 matures a bit, then trial the Premium version. If I like it, I'll pay for it.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

sounds like a solid idea

18. Trooper

Thanks the program update took care of it for me.

Cheers!

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi

about the personal version , is ready the installer with sp2 ?
    thanks

20. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

The Avira AntiVir Personal 10 installer with SP2 incorporated into it has not been released yet. Hopefully soon. But AntiVir Premium and Premium Security Suite has been released.

Later...

Bob

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Correct ;) :p

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Me :cautious:

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Are you from Avira?

24. sbcc

sbcc Guest

Why is the Ask affiliation such a big deal for some people? How can it be bad if Norton and Webroot endorse it?

Ask pays generously for including their toolbar, that's the bottom line. Does Ask offer ANY security benefits whatsoever? Would the Ask bar be offered by any security product if they didn't pay for inclusion?

This does not prove that Ask is reputable or desirable. It certainly proves that some companies will ignore unsavory aspects of Ask's ownership to make more money.

The fact remains that Ask is owned by a parent company that also distributes shady software. Many security products detect these as PUP's, adware or malware. Here's the crux of the issue: is the revenue from Ask toobar installs used to develop and promote these products as well? How can we know if it is?

Search for the affiliated companies "IAC" and "Mindspark". Look at the product list. Search on those names and see what comes up. Don't rely on the opinion of security companies who profit from the relationship. Decide for yourself.

Thanks.

sbcc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  25. luciddream

Yeah, but I'm too OCD about this stuff to stick to my plan. I went ahead and started my Premium trial. I'm using just the regular Guard + Web Guard (no Proactive or Mail Guard). I don't even notice the Web Guard is there. I have only 1 GB of ram and this is running just as light as the Personal version did for me. I like that you can set up the Guard to automatically deny access, where in Personal you could only choose that through interactive. Unless this changed with SP2 and you can do it in Personal now too?

I unchecked the Web Guard exceptions for audio & video just to see how it affected things. Online videos did stream slower, and when downloading a movie (avi) I was getting it at about 60% the speed I normally would have. This was expected of course, just wanted to point it out. Since I run FF sandboxed and right-click scan things before moving them to my data partition anyway I leave those exceptions, and add archives as well. I just wanted to test it out.

I cherish every bit of system resources, and haven't been convinced that the Proactive module would be worth it for me. But if somebody can convince me otherwise, I'm all ears.

As long as things continue to run this smoothly, I'll be purchasing it within the next 20 days or so when the trial runs out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.